Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
The new Washington
Post Weather website
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 10/20/2008

Forecast: Fall in Full Effect

By Jason Samenow

The indicators of fall are unveiling themselves each and every day. Today, many areas will see their first freezing temperatures and frost. Throughout the week ahead, the warm, sunny days and clear, crisp nights will help colorful foliage emerge with the downside of more and more leaves covering your lawns. Naturally, when you want to begin raking those leaves this weekend, rain may threaten. But as I wrote yesterday, rain is now needed after virtually none so far this month.

TODAY (MONDAY)

Sunny, 64-68. Temperatures in many areas will double today. Starting the day in the low-to-mid 30s, the mercury will top out in the mid and even upper 60s thanks to strong sunshine. With little wind to speak of, you'll be able to shed a layer for a delightful afternoon walk.

Clear and cool overnight -- but not as cold as last night due to a light wind from the south. Lows will drop into the mid 30s in the colder suburbs and the low 40s in the District.

Confidence: High

Keep reading for the forecast through the week.

TOMORROW (TUESDAY)

Partly sunny, 65-69. A light south wind will tap the warmest air of the coming week. Temperatures will likely warm into the upper 60s across the region. During the afternoon, some clouds will increase as a cold front sweeps through region but no rain is forecast. The wind from the south will shift to out of the northwest by evening.

Overnight, it will be breezy and cold with lows in the upper 30s in the suburbs to the low 40s in the city.

Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

High pressure builds into the region Wednesday through Friday giving us mostly sunny, dry days and cold, clear nights. Highs all three days will likely range from 55-60 (trending warmer towards Friday), with lows 32-40 (suburbs-city). Confidence: Medium-High

Low pressure to the west and developing to the south will likely create unsettled conditions over the weekend. Some rain is decent possibility (60% chance) on Saturday, with temperatures warming into the mid 60s as winds become southerly. The rain may continue into Sunday (40% chance), with highs again in the 60s. Confidence: Medium

By Jason Samenow  | October 20, 2008; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: The Daily Dry
Next: Will an Economic Downturn Benefit the Climate?

Comments

This morning's chilly lows: DCA-38; IAD-29; and BWI-32

Posted by: Capital Weather Gang | October 20, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Is Saturday's rain looking likelier for the morning or the afternoon?

Posted by: Lindemann | October 20, 2008 10:39 AM | Report abuse

temperatures are doubling? now, you know very well that's not true. using the kelvin scale, temps are going up a few degrees. if they were truly doubling, we'd all be living inside an oven, cooked to a crisp in a few minutes...

Posted by: IMGoph | October 20, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Yep - 29.1 at my place in SE LoCo...and a good three minutes of ice scraping off the car. Tis the season! Now look at next week's GFS runs starting on Tues/Wed and then you may think about putting those shorts away for good...maybe even a flake floating around the mountains?

Posted by: Dulles ARC | October 20, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Raise your hand if the cool temps this morning triggered the early symptoms of Ski Fever.

*raises hand*

Posted by: AshburnDave | October 20, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Flake?? Flake?? Did someone say flake??

Posted by: science teacher (Arnold) | October 20, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

IMGoph-- By doubling, simply referring to degrees on the Fahrenheit scale...

Lindemann-- Rain seems like a strong possibility most of Saturday (morning through evening), but there may be breaks. Too early to pinpoint when those will be.

Posted by: Capital Weather Gang | October 20, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Oh fun...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN STERLING VIRGINIA HAS ISSUED A
FIRE WEATHER WATCH...WHICH IS IN EFFECT FROM TUESDAY MORNING
THROUGH TUESDAY EVENING.

GUSTY WINDS...LOW RELATIVE HUMIDITIES AND DRY FUEL MOISTURES WILL
COMBINE FOR RED FLAG CONDITIONS OVER PORTIONS OF THE MID ATLANTIC
REGION TUESDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING. A DRY COLD FRONT WILL MOVE
ACROSS THE REGION LATE TUESDAY MORNING INTO THE EARLY AFTERNOON.
WEST TO NORTHWESTERLY SUSTAINED WINDS BEHIND THE FRONT...IN THE
15-20 MPH RANGE WITH GUSTS NEAR 30 MPH...WILL REMAIN STEADY
THROUGHOUT THE AFTERNOON AND EVENING HOURS. RELATIVE HUMIDITIES
WILL BOTTOM OUT IN THE 30 TO 35 PERCENT RANGE...THOUGH ENHANCED
DOWNSLOPING EAST OF THE BLUE RIDGE COULD DROP THIS VALUES FURTHER
INTO THE UPPER 20S...ESPECIALLY ACROSS THE NORTH CENTRAL PIEDMONT
OF VIRGINIA AND MARYLAND.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | October 20, 2008 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Having family in California, I get what a fire watch is. Having family in California, I don't get why here? Is it that dry? I mean, this is nothng like the Santa Anas that fueld last year's Witch, Guajito and Harris fires.

Posted by: ep | October 20, 2008 2:06 PM | Report abuse

ep: I assume they issue them when there is low humidity, breezy conditions and lots of debris. In this case, dead/fallen leaves and dry brush.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | October 20, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2012 The Washington Post Company