The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:20 AM ET, 10/25/2008

Forecast: Showery Day To End Dry Streak

By Jason Samenow

Becoming sunny tomorrow; cold next week

Not since the first of the month has it rained more than a trace; but this 23-day rain shutout ends today. Showers will continue intermittently, with the chance of a gusty thunderstorm late in the day. Tomorrow will be sunny and on the mild side before a winter-like cold air mass descends on the area to start next week.

TODAY (SATURDAY)

Radar: Latest D.C. area radar loop shows movement of precipitation over past two hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update. Click here to see radar bigger. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Showers and thunderstorms, breezy. 60-65. Periods of showers will likely continue this morning, although there may be some breaks when skies brighten. Winds from the south (at 10-20 mph with higher gusts) will allow temperatures into the 60s despite the cloud cover.

During the afternoon, it's possible (1/3 chance) that a line of strong thunderstorms develops -- especially impacting areas along and east of I-95. The main threat with these storms would be damaging wind, but an isolated tornado can't be ruled out. Rainfall totals will likely be in the 0.5" range, with some locally heavier amounts.

Tonight, clearing should occur fairly rapidly (by 7 p.m. or so) as low pressure scoots away to the northeast. It will remain a little breezy, with winds from the west at 10 mph. Low temperatures should drop into the low 40s in the suburbs to the upper 40s downtown.

Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast into early next week.

TOMORROW (SUNDAY)

Mostly sunny and mild. 65-69. A big push of cold air is on the way early Monday, but mild air will precede it tomorrow. Temperatures should rise well into 60s during the afternoon. For the Marine Corps marathoners, a.m. weather will be excellent... with starting time temps near 50, and rising through the 50s during the morning. Winds will be light out of the west at about 10 mph.

Overnight, temperatures fall off only modestly, bottoming out in the mid-to-upper 40s (suburbs to city).

A LOOK AHEAD

A strong cold front will blast through the region early Monday with a 30% chance of a shower. The afternoon should be variably cloudy and breezy with highs struggling to reach the mid 50s. Monday night will be quite chilly with lows 31-37 and a biting wind from the northwest at 10-15 mph. Confidence: Medium-High

Tuesday should be partly sunny but quite cool, with highs only in the low 50s. Partly cloudy Tuesday night, with lows in the mid 30s in the city and near 30 in the colder suburbs. As a weak disturbance pivots through, some snow flurries aren't out of the question by morning in the mountains. Confidence: Medium

By Jason Samenow  | October 25, 2008; 10:20 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Now for Something Different ... Rain!
Next: Update: Rain Gives Way to Sunny Sunday

Comments

Sterling=Sterlingva
Quite simple.

Sigh, I was hoping for a washout today. Looking at the long-range forecast discussion from NWS, it seems that there is little or no chance of precipitation for at least another week.

Posted by: Sterlingva | October 25, 2008 11:13 AM | Report abuse

So much for a washout as predicted. Love VA man I just love it.

-Period

Posted by: wecndo | October 25, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Quite windy out there right now, gusts to 37 mph at National and around 30 at Dulles.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | October 25, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Is today a bad sinus day for anybody else? There hasn't been such a good day for staying in your pajamas in a long time.

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | October 25, 2008 2:29 PM | Report abuse

It's been pouring in Sterling for a while now! Our gutters are having some extra strain from all the rain and leaves.

Does rain in the fall make colors more or less vibrant? I think it's more; I heard last year's dry weather led to less colorful fall leaves.

Posted by: Sterlingva | October 25, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

The grocery store is as crowded as if there was going to be a washout. Geez, people, the store will still be there tomorrow even if it rains a lot today.

Posted by: epjd | October 25, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

LaurainNWDC, my sinuses have been awful too, ever since I got today! I always have more trouble on rainy days, though.

Posted by: --sg | October 25, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

And can I just take a moment to mourn the loss of the tilde in my ID for posting? I'm happy to sign in, I highly support that policy...I just want my tilde back. It was supposed to look like a little cape.

Took me a while to find out that I could use the 2 dashes instead. It will do. :-)

Posted by: --sg | October 25, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Looks like a heavy band of rain is coming DC's way. The sky is getting quite dark over here, and I can see the rain shooting in sideways. Not sure how many leaves will be able to stand up to this.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | October 25, 2008 3:38 PM | Report abuse

~sg I was just going to comment about how sad I am that your tilde is gone! I'm sad about no more spaces in my ID, but it's OK.

Kburchfiel, it seems like most of the leaves should be OK even with the wind and rain today. Autumn foliage isn't anywhere near its peak yet. The trees outside my window right now are still pretty entirely green, so I bet most of them are strong enough to hang on still.

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | October 25, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Twas a total washout out west here, fine with me, got a a lot done and saw 2.09 deposited in the ol' rain bucket.....

Posted by: MikefromtheBlueRIdge | October 25, 2008 5:43 PM | Report abuse