The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 10/15/2008

Forecast: Warm Weather's Last Stand?

By Dan Stillman

Much cooler air on its way for Friday and beyond

Our recent stretch of mild days with highs in the mid 70s to low 80s began Thursday of last week and will continue through tomorrow. If you're a warm weather fan, then you better savor the last two days of this streak, the likes of which may not be repeated until spring. Friday into early next week brings highs mostly in the 60s -- quite a bit cooler, but rather typical for mid-October.

TODAY (WEDNESDAY)

Partly sunny. Near 80. After a not-so-chilly start -- morning lows in the mid 50s (burbs) to low 60s (city) -- temperatures will climb nicely to afternoon highs near 80 under a mix of sun and clouds. Winds will be light from the north or west.

Tonight, pretty mild for this time of year with partly cloudy skies and lows in the upper 50s in the suburbs to the low 60s downtown.

Confidence: High

Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend, and see our Weather Wall for the ultimate overview of local conditions.

TOMORROW (THURSDAY)

Partly to mostly cloudy. P.M. shower? Near 80. Highs are headed for mid-to-upper 70s and with a hint of humidity. Maybe some spots touch 80 if there are enough breaks in the clouds. A cold front could touch off a few showers during the afternoon and evening, maybe even a thunderstorm. But rain activity is likely to be spotty -- around a 25% chance that any given location gets wet.

Overnight, partly cloudy with a continued 25% chance of a shower and lows from the mid 50s in the burbs to near 60 downtown.

A LOOK AHEAD

Partly sunny and much cooler on Friday with highs in the 60s. That cold front lingers close enough to our southeast that, at least for now, we'll have to keep a 25% chance of a shower in the forecast. Confidence: Medium

For Friday night and Saturday, we'll have to see what happens with a storm system expected to form along the cold front stalled to our southeast. The storm could stay far enough away to give us partly clear skies and just a chance of a few showers, or could be close enough for partly to mostly cloudy skies and a period of cool, steady rain. As of now, I'm favoring the "far enough away" scenario with Saturday highs near 60 amidst a gusty breeze from the north. Confidence: Low-Medium

After clearing skies and cool conditions Saturday night with lows in the 40s, high pressure is back in charge on Sunday. That's likely to mean mostly sunny skies and decreasing winds with highs in the 60s. Confidence: Medium

By Dan Stillman  | October 15, 2008; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Autumn Warmth Persists
Next: Earth as Art: Patterns in the Sky

Comments

I know you wouldn't be doing this yet, but you're going to have a MarathonCast for the Marine Corps Marathon, right?

This blog has been a real help in planning my training runs to minimize unnecessary time in inclement weather. I will think of the Capital Weather Gang with gratitude as I approach the finish line. (I have a whole list of things/people to think about with gratitude late in the race, to distract me from the fatigue I will undoubtely be feeling.)

Posted by: Lindemann | October 15, 2008 7:03 AM | Report abuse

Lindemann: We will definitely provide forecast details for the marathon.

Posted by: Capital Weather Gang | October 15, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

How does the weather look for Saturday for Gold Cup? Even if the low tracks closer to our area, is the Gold Cup event far enough west of the DC metro area to be safe from wet weather?

Thanks!

Posted by: Mike | October 15, 2008 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Give me my autumn! I want my autumn: cold, dreary, chilly weather!! :(

Posted by: BJ | October 15, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Mike -- It's looking more and more like the drier, sunnier scenario will win out for Saturday.

Posted by: Dan, Capital Weather Gang | October 15, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Dan. That is great news!

Posted by: Mike | October 15, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to Gold Cup as well. I'll be unhappy if I have to stand in rain all day, but things seems like they're looking good (knock on wood). That's great news!

Posted by: LJ | October 15, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse