The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 1:00 PM ET, 10/28/2008

I Heard It Was Out There: Did You See It?

By Jamie Jones

"Did you see any?" The whispers float around the web quickly, across story comments, message board posts, and blogs deep in the nether regions of the intertubes. "I swear I saw it on 66." Mixed between the cold rain, the wind whipping through the trees on a cold Monday morning in October, did you see it? Snow. The whisper of white that brings hope of hot chocolate at home, days without school, and 2 hour non-essential personnel delays. So, did YOU see it?

As both Kevin Ambrose and Ian Livingston were discussing in comments yesterday afternoon, the disturbance passing in the wake of cold front brought a mix of a FEW flakes with the rain, and the hope of a few more lonely flakes with the next cold disturbance late tonight.

It got me thinking, what is the most memorable early season snow you have seen? I remember a cold, late October weekend when I was visiting a friend in upstate New York that brought a coating of a few inches of snow to the ground, the earliest this Virginia boy has ever seen real snow. So, any good stories? Or any good ideas when WE will see our first real snow? Take it to the comments!

And in case you are curious, some parts of the Northeast are expecting over 6 inches of snow this week. Welcome winter.

See our full forecast to see what chance we have of flake spotting in the next 24 hours...

By Jamie Jones  | October 28, 2008; 1:00 PM ET
Categories:  U.S. Weather  | Tags:  Cold, October, Rain, Snow, Winter
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: In Focus: The Spin on Yesterday's Bad Forecast
Next: PM Update: Race to Stay Warm

Comments

I must tell you first that I do not like that we now have to have a washingtonpost.com user ID! This is the further commercialization of the CAPWX web site. The pop-up ads, etc. frustrating. Let's just hope you all are making some good money from this site. As for the earliest Snow -- I am too frustrated with the password and popup adds.

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | October 28, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

The earliest I have seen snow was October 10th when it coated the ground with very wet white stuff. It was pretty cool to get it so early.

Posted by: dancermommd1 | October 28, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

I grew up in Boston, where we got snow in early October more than once. Stranger was the nearly 30" we got at the end of March in (I think) 1996.

Posted by: ah___ | October 28, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

@ stinkerflat1

Unfortunately, the comment account was required to combat spam and comment abuse throughout the Washington Post comment system. And since the same system runs all the blogs, they all got the new "feature."

Hopefully the account is not too much of an inconvenience. I know most articles I read on Post.com required me to have an account already. About the popup ads, I have seen the "top banner that becomes" full page on several articles and blogs before on post.com, but they can always be closed by an exit box above the ad.

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | October 28, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

my most memorable and early snowfall would be when it snowed about 10" on dec. 3rd, 2000, my 18th bday. i grew up in greenville, nc, so it was quite a storm for us downeasters

Posted by: Peter_L_inmclean | October 28, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

As my life has not been too long yet, I don't remember ANY early season (or rather mid mid fall) snows.

Posted by: wecndo | October 28, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Earliest I recall was Halloween of 1994 in southwestern PA. Put a real damper on the holiday for me, but it wasn't so much....maybe an inch or so of lake-effect stuff.

Posted by: --sg | October 28, 2008 7:03 PM | Report abuse

On October 11, 1979, we had a light snow here in the D.C. area......with up to a foot in the mountains. There was extensive damage to trees on Syline Drive, which still much of their folage left That caught the flakes like scoops and caused them to pile up further and add weight to each branch.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | October 28, 2008 7:52 PM | Report abuse