The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:30 AM ET, 10/21/2008

Mad Meteorologist Predicts Winter Mayhem

By Jason Samenow

Add Meteorologist Henry Margusity of the AccuWeather.com's Meteorological Madness blog to the list of forecasters predicting a snowy winter for our area. Writes Margusity:

I think the I-95 corridor folks from Richmond to Boston could finally have the snowstorms they so wished for. I think at least one or two major nor'easters will hit that area with snow events in the 6- to 18-inch range.

Margusity's map of projected snow suggests 20-30" of the white stuff will fall in our region this winter which would be roughly 50% above average. He joins his colleague Joe Bastardi (see a summary of his outlook here) in forecasting a relatively snowy winter (at least compared to the last several winters) as well as local forecaster Keith Allen (see a summary of his outlook here).

We'll continue keeping you posted on the various winter outlooks as they're issued. The Capital Weather Gang's winter outlook will be released in mid-November. For now, see our full forecast through the weekend which does not feature any snow...yet.

By Jason Samenow  | October 21, 2008; 10:30 AM ET
Categories:  Local Climate
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Crisp Cool Continues
Next: Weather Favorable For Fantastic Fall Foliage

Comments

I hear Margusity and Bastardi also are selling prime ocean front property in Arizona as well....

Posted by: steve takoma park md | October 21, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

One has to be MAD to issue an outlook such as this, and even more mad for anyone to take it seriously!!!

Posted by: Steve Tracton | October 21, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Margusity takes hype and hyperbole to an entirely new level. Can't wait to see how he tops his performance from the last two winter seasons, when he whipped folks all along the Eastern seaboard into a frenzy each time a clipper or coastal low formed...and then subsequently bypassed the D.C. region.

Posted by: VAStateOfMind | October 21, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

I'm standing in my front yard with mittens on...I'm ready to make a whole snow-family.

Posted by: Bikerjohn | October 21, 2008 12:11 PM | Report abuse

i'm excited for snow :)

Posted by: madison | October 21, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Not surprising at all.

Posted by: arnoldkh | October 21, 2008 2:17 PM | Report abuse

It's called wishcasting.

Posted by: hobbes9 | October 21, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Yeah yeah yeah...as much as I'd love to hear it come true, it'll snow in Fauquier and rain everywhere else. Or they'll get 12" in Richmond, it'll break up over DC (just producing flurries), and re-materialize over Philly causing 3 feet of snow with 15 foot drifts. You and I both know it. What I wish for and what I expect will happen are two different things. I wish for tons of snow and lots of snow days (because this is my last year here and the colleges I'm looking at only see snow on broken TVs), but I expect flurries or ice on a Saturday or something.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | October 21, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Margusity predicts a blizzard - what else is new?

Posted by: Brian in Alex | October 21, 2008 7:26 PM | Report abuse

margusity's map is one of the worst i have ever seen. lol. only 60 inches of snow for syracuse new york?? more like >100.

what a tool

Posted by: jf | October 21, 2008 7:40 PM | Report abuse

They are both hype masters and anything that they predict should be viewed as an attempt to steer traffic to the site. As far as Keith Allen.......well...........

Posted by: Anonymous | October 21, 2008 10:29 PM | Report abuse

i cant wait til the snow comes
when will our first snow be in the mid-atlantic region

Posted by: redskinsfan21 | October 21, 2008 11:03 PM | Report abuse

One thing about Margusity - he has been pretty solid on severe outbreaks in 2008...to the point that we were using his calls for tornado outbreaks as legit data for our operations...that said - he has been putrid on anything tropical or frozen for the last two years. Weather isnt easy, but hype is his game...

Posted by: Dulles ARC | October 22, 2008 7:48 AM | Report abuse