The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 7:00 PM ET, 10/ 8/2008

NBC Subtracts Weather Plus

By Capital Weather Gang

NBC will reportedly phase out Weather Plus, its 4-year-old digital cable network that features local and national weather 24/7. The service airs on digital cable systems nationwide and on the digital channels of some NBC affiliates, including Washington's NBC4 (WRC-TV). Weather Plus content also appears on the Web sites of select NBC affiliates, including nbc4.com.

Steve Capus, president of NBC News, says the move would have come even without NBC Universal's acquisition of The Weather Channel, finalized last month.

TVWeek and MediaPost have more.

See our full forecast through the Columbus Day weekend, and our Weather Wall for the ultimate overview of D.C. area conditions.

By Capital Weather Gang  | October 8, 2008; 7:00 PM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Thickening Clouds; A Shower or Two?
Next: Forecast: After Today, A Sunny & Warm Display

Comments

No big loss. It was a nothing station anyway.

Posted by: Jay | October 8, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Unrelated question: I'm in the market for a book (or textbook) that will help me understand surface weather analyses (e.g. models and visual weather charts). I've been looking on Amazon.com, but most of the books are catered either to kids or to pilots/captains. If anyone can recommend a reading, that would be great.

On that note: can anyone recommend a weather textbook in general? I just figured it was time to get educated about the weather I love to follow.

Posted by: mcleaNed | October 8, 2008 8:17 PM | Report abuse

mcleaNed: If you want, you can study meteorology in college (as a major or minor) - that's one of the best ways to become educated in weather ;). That's what I'm doing next year...hopefully. Another suggestion is to look up some used textbook stores and see what selections they have.

Here's a used textbook website: http://www.alibris.com/
Use the keyword "meteorology" or something similar and see what comes up.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | October 8, 2008 8:48 PM | Report abuse

Mccleaned, my suggestion, get to a local bookstore and look through the Science and Nature section. There are dozens of books on all facets of meteorology. I own several myself. Textbooks are another story, most of them are geared toward a specific genre of the field are are very scientifically based and difficult for someone without a degree to follow. There are some good ones that are meant for introductory classes, but unless you have a budding interest in global spectral modelling, or boundary layer physics, and a mastery of calculus, I'd stick with something you pick up at a Barnes & Noble.

Posted by: Brian, Capital Weather Gang | October 8, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

mcleaNed: I'd read through some of the pages at Jeff Haby's Weather Prediction Education site.

For a good Meteorology 101 Text book, consider Meteorology Today. It's the textbook used in many meteorology 101 college classes. I don't think it's gets into the ins and outs of computer model interpretation, but provides the basics (on fronts, atmospheric circulation, etc) you will need in order to better understand the models. It's pricey new, but maybe you could find a used copy.

Posted by: Jason, Capital Weather Gang | October 9, 2008 1:05 AM | Report abuse