The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:15 PM ET, 10/17/2008

PM Update: Get Out Your Cool-Season Gear

By Ian Livingston

Mostly sunny and continued chilly Saturday

Temperatures: Current area temperatures. Powered by Weather Bonk. Map by Google. Hover over and click icons for more info. Click and hold on map to pan. Refresh page to update. See map bigger on our Weather Wall.

Autumn rushed into town overnight last night and into today, and it has brought much cooler weather than we have seen recently. Highs have struggled into the low 60s at most locations this afternoon, but a continued gusty breeze from the north has kept things feeling fairly chilly. Bundle up if headed out this evening, some of the coolest weather of the season so far occurs tonight.

Tonight: We will see some clouds floating by overnight as temperatures drop down into the 40s just about everywhere. More specifically, look for low 40s in the coolest suburbs to the upper 40s in D.C. Light north winds persist throughout the night.

Tomorrow: Saturday will be mostly sunny after some morning cloudiness. Many places will get stuck in the upper 50s despite abundant sunshine, though D.C. may crack 60 late in the day. Light north winds continue, and the stage will be set for the coldest night of the season tomorrow night. Expect some 30s in the cooler suburbs!

See Camden's full forecast through the beginning of next week and SkinsCast for Sunday's game.

By Ian Livingston  | October 17, 2008; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hurricane Calamity
Next: Forecast: Autumn Takes Hold

Comments

Personally, I'm ready to break out the sweaters.

Posted by: ~sg | October 17, 2008 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Goodbye open windows at night... :(

Posted by: Laura in NWDC | October 17, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

I'm loving this weather. Nice and nippy. So...where's the snow? Heheehehe, as soon as October hit something in every snowlover's mind clicked and we all started thinking about snow. I can't wait for our first below-freezing morning!

/begin rant

But what I'm not loving are the 3 pop-up ads I get every time I come to this site. Every time I come here, a pop up ad comes up whenever I click something (click blog post = popup...click comment submit = popup...click comment preview = popup...click "Croatia Weather" advertisement = 20 popups), and when I click it out it crashes my computer. Stupid WaPo and their money-hungry ways...and it's never a variety of ads either. It's always American Express. I will purposely NOT get AmEx when I get a credit card because of this. Advertising has the opposite effect on me.

/end rant

Thank you for giving me the time to rant. :)

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | October 17, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

But look what you did: you mentioned AmEx to everyone reading this post, meaning--gasp--YOU'RE PART OF THEIR MARKETING TEAM! THEY'VE SEDUCED YOU!

*Ahem* Yeah, the ads can get a little annoying. I would suggest using Firefox as a browser, if you don't already; it seems to limit the amount of popups that make it onto the screen. (Sorry about the advertisement.)

Posted by: mcleaNed | October 17, 2008 11:34 PM | Report abuse

Laura, whatever do you mean? Open windows remain in my apartment down to about 40 or so =D.

Posted by: Jim in Blacksburg | October 17, 2008 11:40 PM | Report abuse

weatherdudeVA, if you are using Firefox, may I suggest NoScript?

Not only will it do away with those annoying pop-ups and pop-unders, it will also protect you against Clickjacking.

NoScript takes getting used to. The biggest thing that you need to know is to look for the blue "S" with the International "no" symbol (a red circle with a diagonal red slash) superimposed on it. That icon will be in the bottom right hand corner of the Firefox browser. Right click on that icon to reveal the highly configurable per site customization (both permanent and temporary) options. NoScript's biggest drawback might be its power and configurability. Programs that are both powerful and very configurable and usually too intimidating for the average user.

Personally, in addition to NoScript, I would find most of the popular sites unbearable if not for Stop Autoplay.

Mr. Q.