The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 11/14/2008

Fall Foliage at Arlington National Cemetery

By Ian Livingston

Soldier guards the tomb of the unknown soldier
A member of the 3rd U.S. Infantry guards the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, with orange autumn leaves in the background.

Visiting Arlington National Cemetery is always a somber, patriotic and moving occasion. Shortly after moving to D.C., I found out that autumn is a great time to visit for photography because of the added color the changing leaves bring. My last trip there was Veterans Day 2006, and I decided to head back almost two years to the day.

Keep reading for more photos and commentary (and by the way, today is the deadline for entering our photo contest). See our full forecast through the weekend, and SkinsCast for Sunday night's game against Dallas.

The weather on Sunday was pleasant, but cool. Unfortunately, clouds were the weather story of the afternoon, so sun lighting up the leaves was not a common theme. Fortunately, leaves are bright enough to shine even on the gloomiest of days. On cloudy days it is generally hard to expose the sky correctly (it's almost always overexposed if exposing the rest of the scene correctly). Because of this issue, on days like Sunday I try to focus on photographs that do not include much sky.

The images below are in the order they were taken on my walk through the cemetery. The first image in the post (above) is the only one out of order. All were hand held using a 28-300mm lens with image stabilization.

Oak leaves and gravestones
Fall colors line the landscape at Arlington National Cemetery.

20081109_2.jpg
Fall colors between Arlington and D.C. as seen from Arlington National Cemetery.

20081109_4.jpg
Bright orange tree at Arlington National Cemetery.

20081109_5.jpg
Visitors on a pathway lined in Autumn yellow at the cemetery.

20081109_6.jpg
Fall colors.

20081109_10.jpg
A couple strolls through the colorful trees.

20081109_11.jpg
Bright fall foliage and gravestones.

By Ian Livingston  | November 14, 2008; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Photography
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Showers, Storms as Seasons Collide
Next: PM Update: Gray Skies Lead to More Rain, Storms

Comments

Just out of idle curiosity, I performed a Google search for the words "patriotic" and "patriotism" for the site:voices.washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang/

It returned zero results.

So it would appear that the election of Senator Obama has helped the CWG venture into new territory.

Mr. Q.

Posted by: Mr_Q | November 14, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Mr Q: Strange comment. Would you expect patriotic to be a word commonly used on a weather or climate blog? Can you give example of other weather blogs where these words and/or this subject play prominently? How about appreciating Ian's fine photography instead of turning this political...? You know nothing of Ian's political views and they're irrelevant here in any case.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | November 15, 2008 12:05 AM | Report abuse

Jason said, "Mr Q: Strange comment."

Strange? Perhaps. 100% factual? Yes.

Jason said, "How about appreciating Ian's fine photography instead of turning this political...?"

I have complimented fine photography on this blog in the past. Check if you like.

Jason said, "You know nothing of Ian's political views and they're irrelevant here in any case."

Nor do I wish to know anything about Ian's political views.

If something about my comment bothers you, I suggest you look inward, and not outward, for the answer.

Mr. Q.

Posted by: Mr_Q | November 15, 2008 1:42 AM | Report abuse

Jason said, "... instead of turning this political...?"

You mean like this.

Should I follow the CWG's stellar example?

Mr. Q.

Posted by: Mr_Q | November 15, 2008 1:54 AM | Report abuse

Jason said, "... instead of turning this political...?"

And what do you think your weekly "climate change" column is? You think that isn't political?

People who live in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.

Mr. Q.

Posted by: Mr_Q | November 15, 2008 2:24 AM | Report abuse

Mr Q.,

Equally curious to me is why you felt this irresistible urge to do so at this time and on this post. Given the comment about the election of President-elect Obama, one can only surmise that your post was borne out of a contrary political view from that of some/all of the CWG bloggers. Disagreement with someone's political views does not give license to deem them unpatriotic, whether through outright statement of such or backhanded besmirching, like your original comment.

Perhaps if you would truly like to research lack of patriotism, you can look up the stories of Robert Hanssen or Aldrich Ames. They can provide a wealth of information on that particular topic.

Regards,

Josh

Posted by: joshnva | November 15, 2008 2:25 AM | Report abuse

Josh said, "What I find strange is that you feel the need to question the patriotism of anyone, especially doing so from behind a computer screen whilst using a pseudonym."

I didn't question anything. Go back to my original comment and find the question within it. Good luck with that.

Mr. Q.

Posted by: Mr_Q | November 15, 2008 2:31 AM | Report abuse

I did not ask a question. I made a simple statement of fact. *If* that statement of fact struck a nerve with some of you, you need to ask yourself why it struck a nerve.

Mr. Q.

Posted by: Mr_Q | November 15, 2008 2:34 AM | Report abuse

I have been accused of asking a question when I did not. My original comment was 100% pure statement. It did not contain a question.

One thing that people should know about me - I try with all of my might to be polite. If any of you knew me, and you knew my point of views and opinions, you would know the kind of restraint I exercise when posting here. I would prefer to be much more direct than I am.

But since I have already been accused of asking a question, which I did not ask, I might as well go ahead and ask a question. And since I am asking, I might as well be direct. Be careful what you wish for.

On September 11, 2001, our country was attacked. Since that dreadful day we have been on the offensive. We are currently engaged in two wars: Afghanistan and Iraq.

I want to restate this - Our Country is currently engaged in two wars.

Ian, do you feel that your public display of patriotism in the last eight years, during which time your Country has been fighting two wars, has been equal to your public display of patriotism in the last 30 days?

Mr. Q.

Posted by: Mr_Q | November 15, 2008 3:07 AM | Report abuse

Mr_Q, I am unsure what your purpose in all this is. I don't need to get into it all here with you, but my original interest in moving to D.C. was related to the two wars we are currently fighting. Weather is just a side-thing for me(too big of one sometimes!). I do not feel as if much has changed over the past 30 days for me personally. This is a great country in my mind, no matter who is running it.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | November 15, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Ian said, "This is a great country in my mind, no matter who is running it."

Glad to hear you say that. You would not believe how happy I am to hear you say that. I only regret that this is the first time I have heard it.

Ian said, "I think one of my photos from Arlington was posted on the old site in 2006, did it cause a similar stir then?"

I only recently discovered CWG. I think it was approximately six months ago. So I have not seen your other Arlington photos. But I do very much approve of these. Very well done. Especially the ones with nothing but nature and the grave markers. Those are my favorite.

Pictures of Arlington will always stir me. Pictures of any National cemetery will stir me. I have been to the American cemetery at Normandy. You should see those photos. I think you would like them.

I am entitled to a burial with full honors in a National cemetery, when my time comes. And I have told my wife that is my wish. So you can probably imagine how I feel about National cemeteries.

Mr. Q.

Posted by: Mr_Q | November 15, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

The best approach to Mr. Q is to ignore him - even if by chance you happen to agree with him!

Doing otherwise, as you can see from above, just evokes more of his rants which purposely or otherwise allow him to hijack CWG for his own political agenda. Be assured I'll not comment to the flak he'll do doubt fire in response to this comment.

BTW: Please note I have not written this in bold. This is my personal opinion only: I'm not speaking for or on behalf of anyone individually or collectively involved with CWG.

Posted by: SteveT-CapitalWeatherGang | November 16, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse