The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 2:07 PM ET, 11/18/2008

First Snow Sightings Reported in the District

By Mike McPhate
Radar: Latest regional radar loop shows movement of precipitation over past two hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update. Click here to see radar bigger. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Snow sightings are being reported across the D.C. region. The first local Tweet came about an hour ago, and Twitter users have posted dozens of sightings since.

The flakes were few and far between, but they were unmistakably the white fluffy stuff.

A few of the sightings:

From zsafavian in D.C.: Lots and lots of snow swirling around outside our window. Yay!

From jmartinisu in Arlington: Snow? I'm just not ready for you to come yet.

From nowells in D.C.: SNOW!!!.....well sort of.

Related Links: CWG's Forecast in Detail | Weather Wall
Tomorrow: CWG's Winter Outlook & Live Chat (1 p.m.)

By Mike McPhate  | November 18, 2008; 2:07 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Saturday's Fleeting Rainbow
Next: PM Update: Midwinter-Like Chill Grips Area

Comments

The last time I saw snow this early, we ended up having a pretty snowy winter, so there's my official prediction.

Posted by: duhneese | November 18, 2008 2:23 PM | Report abuse

It's snowing in Silver Spring as I type this, 2:37pm

I love it!

Posted by: outofsync | November 18, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I am in Wheaton and we already have about in an inch on the ground. Roads are slick and traffic is snarled.

HEAD HOME NOW WHILE YOU CAN!

Stop for milk, bread and water.

Looks like this is going to be a blizzard.

Posted by: LoJankFilDee19338333 | November 18, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Not me. Besides the fact that I have a rear wheel drive car, whenever there is ANY sort of precipitation around here (especially snow), the region's collective IQ drops about 10 points. Traffic gets awful (more than it normally is) and there is the usual run on milk and toilet paper (why toilet paper, I don't know).

Posted by: playahatah | November 18, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Snowing in Bethesda right now. 2:52

Posted by: UMDTerpsGirl | November 18, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

snow falling really hard in northwest dc... amazing!! and it's only nov :)

Posted by: madisondc | November 18, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Just stopped by my local Safeway.

They are completely out of milk, flour, eggs, frozen pizza and toilet paper. Lines are out the door. Mass panic, people overturning cars and fighting each other for a carton of milk.

Posted by: LoJankFilDee19338333 | November 18, 2008 2:54 PM | Report abuse

As a cross-country skiier, these past few winters have been pretty bleak. If this means more snow this winter...HOORAY!!!!

Posted by: saturdayschild | November 18, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

First snow sighting in Lake Ridge at 2:00 PM when school was released. Well, first I've spotted snow. It may have snowed before then. But it only counts when I see it :P

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | November 18, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

We've had a few rounds of flurries here in downtown D.C. this afternoon. I am also hopeful this early snow is a good sign, though I remember back to our nice early storm last year in December that ended up accounting for like half the seasonal total in a very disappointing season for snowlovers.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | November 18, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Here in the LoCo Bootheel it actually started to stick on my back deck which faces north...I had a few drifts up against the house about an inch deep...very sweet sight. But man is that wind chill able to sap the energy right out of you...looks like its winding down for now. Lets see if the 18z GFS brings back our fun for the weekend on the next run. 12Z has something interesting (ok, downright nasty) at about day 12...

Posted by: DullesARC | November 18, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Yay, just had light flurries in Old Town Alexandria! Hoping for more. . . lots more.

Posted by: lrw2a | November 18, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Saw flurries here in Springfield an my way back from lunch ~1 PM. Temp dropped around 3 degrees from 40 to 37/38 degrees on my way to lunch according to my truck during the flurries.

Posted by: FusilliJerry1 | November 18, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Having moved here from Florida in November 2005 I'm a bit sensitive about this snow stuff. I recall it snowing every November for the past 4 years in the Ballston area and now East Falls Church. The flurries started around 1:30 pm today near the EFC metro. It has also felt colder here this Fall, earlier than other years, so my guess is it will be a colder, snowier year...and so I'll be heading south more frequently, as well.

Posted by: carli1 | November 18, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse