The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 6:40 PM ET, 11/12/2008

PM Update: Clouds Thicken as Rain Approaches

By Ian Livingston

Raw and wet on Thursday

Cloudiness made a triumphant return to the region today and has plans for at least a several-day stay. Without much sun to warm things up, most areas reached within a few degrees of 50 for highs this afternoon. A sprinkle or light shower is possible through the evening as cool, cloudy conditions continue.

Tonight: We stay cloudy overnight, with a chance of sprinkles or light showers early, and then better odds of steadier rains near sunrise. Lows will not drop off too much tonight; look for them to range between 40 in the colder suburbs and 45 in the city. Winds will be light from the southeast.

Tomorrow: Thursday should end up being quite wet across the region. Expect periods of rain to begin in earnest early in the morning, last through much of the day, and then taper off to scattered showers around sunset. Highs will reach within a few degrees of 50 across the area as a light wind blows from the east.

Total precipitation through tomorrow should range between .25" and .75" with some higher totals possible.

See Dan's full forecast through the weekend.

By Ian Livingston  | November 12, 2008; 6:40 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: History of Inauguration Day Weather
Next: Forecast: From Clouds & Rain to Cold

Comments

With more rain possible Friday night into Saturday (in addition to this evening and tomorrow's rain) some spots may see 1-2" of rain, in total, by Sunday AM.

Posted by: Josh-CapitalWeatherGang | November 12, 2008 4:53 PM | Report abuse

I am very curious to see what the CapWx group thinks about the possible storm late next week and all the cold air that is supposed to be coming our way.

Posted by: LAWNMAN209 | November 12, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

@LAWNMAN209:

Methinks the pattern that will evolve middle to late next week is very interesting. Fairly high confidence it will get cold, but if I had to guess (given current model projections and climatology) after the storm passes -- meaning more of a rain threat. Still, way, way too early to be speculating about details.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | November 12, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

I've been watching the models for a few days now regarding our big storm expected late this weekend. Earlier in the week the GFS had another storm behind it, which I'm assuming your talking about, but for the past couple of days NCEP has seen fit to post the GFS run from mid-May, go figure. Anyway, It's been really backing off on the timing of cold air/precip combo with subsequent runs for this Sunday's storm. A few days ago we had a bonified blizzard moving through the area, now it looks like an all rain even with a real cold shot behind it. Things are likely to change significantly though as it is still 4-5 days out. I'm curious to see what this second storm next week will bring if it materializes.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | November 12, 2008 8:34 PM | Report abuse

When will the Gang be issuing their winter weather outlook?

Posted by: KEBV | November 12, 2008 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Winter Outlook is tentatively scheduled for release on November 19.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | November 12, 2008 10:15 PM | Report abuse

I swear when I got in my car on my way home for work in Silver Spring, when it had just started raining, my wipers bounced over semi-frozen droplets on the first swipe. They made that scraping freezing rain sound.

I know, I KNOW, that's crazy talk. Cause it was only in the mid-40s at the time. But that is what seemed to be happening. I had to use my wiper fluid to get a clean swipe from the wiper blades.

Before you say it was wishful thinking, it wasn't. Who wishes for freezing rain?

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | November 12, 2008 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Brian: "Bonified blizzard"? I think you mean "bona-fide". But I did get a big kick out of that :-)

After hearing the hype about the big storm and shot of cold air set to come through, I thought of this question:
When was the last time we had measurable snow in mid- to late-November, and how rare (common?) is this occurence?

Posted by: Sterlingva | November 12, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Veteran's Day 1987 has to be somewhere on the list.

Posted by: LAWNMAN209 | November 12, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse