The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:15 PM ET, 11/20/2008

PM Update: Cold Air Reinforcements Arrive

By Ian Livingston

More snow showers possible Friday

Webcam: Latest view of D.C. from the Netherlands Carillon at Arlington National Cemetery. Courtesy National Park Service. Refresh page to update. See this image bigger on our Weather Wall.

Cold air eased just a bit today, but more is now ready to rush back into the area. Highs that generally topped out in the mid 40s (still well below normal) are beginning to fall back behind a cold front that has helped whip winds back into a frenzy. These winds, gusting as high as 30 mph this afternoon, will continue to do so for a few more hours before beginning to weaken a bit this evening.

Tonight: We stay mostly cloudy and cold overnight. Look for lows to reach the mid 20s in the colder suburbs to right around 30 in D.C. Winds that gust early will drop off to around 10 mph by morning.

Tomorrow: Friday will be another cold one with numerous clouds. Much like we saw Tuesday, conversational snow showers should dot the landscape during the day. Though there will be no real accumulation in the area, snow squalls may be briefly moderate where they occur. Highs should reach the upper 30s just about everywhere as breezes continue around 15-20 mph from the northwest.

See Josh's full forecast through the beginning of next week, and check out our recently released 2008-2009 Winter Outlook.

By Ian Livingston  | November 20, 2008; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weather Gang Photo Contest Top 10 Picks
Next: Forecast: More Cold. More Flakes?

Comments

Yay, snow in any form is welcome!

Posted by: weathergrrl | November 20, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

weathergrrl will you marry me???

Posted by: snowlover | November 20, 2008 7:10 PM | Report abuse

Conversational snow? Well, I'm ready to talk!

Posted by: Snowlover2 | November 20, 2008 7:38 PM | Report abuse

me too! where are all the other commenters?

Posted by: strangldangel | November 20, 2008 8:31 PM | Report abuse

yay, snow! it's particularly fun when it occurs during school hours -- kindergarteners can marvel over snow like no one else (except maybe capitalweather commenters).

Posted by: dinergirl | November 20, 2008 8:51 PM | Report abuse

Who wants some snow? I'm needing some on the ground for Baby ARC's first b-day party in a few weeks...I've lived here for almost 20 winters and we just dont seem to get dumped on during the end of December - its the oddest thing...I remember it snowing on Christmas night in the early 90's - that was a thundersnow event in Fairfax with four really quick inches. There was a mix about 5 years back on Christmas and that is about it...maybe we need to rent some snow machines.

Posted by: DullesARC | November 20, 2008 8:58 PM | Report abuse

So true Dinergirl! I work with little ones too, and it is so much fun to be around them and witness their reactions to snow :)

Posted by: Snowlover2 | November 20, 2008 9:27 PM | Report abuse

Here's hoping that anything that sticks to the ground holds off until tomorrow evening. I've got a four-hour round trip to pick up my son from college tomorrow.

Posted by: meta2 | November 20, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

I am just wishing for a few snow showers here in NWDC for tomorrow. IT would be a LOVELY birthday present!

Posted by: NWDCJesse | November 20, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Its only a one class day for me up at Mason in fairfax, but if there are any decent squalls, I might just have to skip the class because of the "dangerous drivers" that always take to the roads up and down braddock when one flake flies....and possibly i could be looking for any excuse not to go to class and just enjoy the first bursts of what is going to be a fulfilling winter of snow storms. CWG, when you say snow showers, what is the difference between that and lots of flurries? I know there will be no accumulation but how do you differentiate between which is which? might be a dumb question but I have always wondered. thanks.

Posted by: WillinFairfaxGMU | November 21, 2008 2:39 AM | Report abuse