The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 PM ET, 11/21/2008

PM Update: More November Snow and Cold

By Ian Livingston

Guess what? Still chilly and windy on Saturday!

* Weather Channel Layoffs | Rouge Waves: Real, and Spectacular *

Webcam: Latest view of D.C. from the Netherlands Carillon at Arlington National Cemetery. Courtesy National Park Service. Refresh page to update. See this image bigger on our Weather Wall.

Our string of wintry weather continued today as temperatures struggled to rise past the upper 30s in most locations. On top of that, snow showers of varying intensity were fairly widespread. Some spots, mainly east and northeast of D.C., even saw their first accumulating snow (generally less than 1/2" on elevated and grassy surfaces). Look for snow showers to diminish around sunset.

Tonight: After some evening snow showers, skies will turn partly to mostly clear. Lows should bottom out in the low 20s in the suburbs and the mid 20s in D.C. Winds will continue to gust from the northwest over 20 mph at times. Brrrr!

Tomorrow: Saturday will be mostly sunny and cold. Morning lows in the 20s will not rise terribly fast, even with plentiful sunshine. The end result should be highs generally in the upper 30s, with a 40-degree reading possible here and there. A chilly wind will continue to blow around 15-20 mph from the northwest.

See Camden's full forecast through the beginning of next week, and our 2008-09 Winter Outlook.

By Ian Livingston  | November 21, 2008; 5:00 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Rogue Waves: They're Real, & They're Spectacular
Next: NBC Fires Weather Channel Environmental Unit

Comments

Henry Margusity's son ("the Anti-Henry") posted something on his blog the other day about Henry being a jinx on snowstorms. Well, he posted a model this morning showing us getting a 4-letter-word storm and what he typed all over the picture made me laugh until I cried. I thoroughly enjoyed it:

Of course December 1 does NOTHING for me as I will be in Florida from December 1 until December 9. If the Weather Gods are listening, could yinz hold off a snowstorm until at least the 10th? Thanks! (I'm hoping at least one or two of you has connections).

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | November 21, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

weatherdudeVA,

Are you from the Pittsburgh area?

Posted by: LAWNMAN209 | November 21, 2008 4:58 PM | Report abuse

That would be an EPIC storm. Not to jinx it or anything.

Posted by: NWDCJesse | November 21, 2008 5:01 PM | Report abuse

Looks to me we'd see some rain/sleet mixing in if that scenario materialized. Probably a snow-mix-snow scenario.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | November 21, 2008 5:19 PM | Report abuse

LAWNMAN: Hehehe, no, I just felt like using yinz. ;^) It's way more fun to say yinz than to say y'all or youse or you guys.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | November 21, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody have any stats on the cumulative November temperatures yet? We've got to be running WAY below normal so far for the month....my guess is at least 4-5 degrees from average.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | November 21, 2008 11:26 PM | Report abuse

@MMCarhelp

As hard as it may be to believe, through yesterday, we were still 0.5 F ABOVE normal for the month due to warmth early on. After today, we'll probably drop into negative territory, and will certainly end that way given the outlook for the rest of the month.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | November 22, 2008 12:02 AM | Report abuse

I keep odd hours, and every now and then, said odd hours come in handy. I was out and about early this morning for a walk around 1 A.M. When I came across a water main break in my neighborhood. I spoke with the guy from WSSC who came out to the trouble spot, and he said that they've been busy the past two days with water main breaks popping up all over. There were another two reported as well in my neighborhood. That being said, those of you who have yet to turn off water to any outside hose spigots would do well to proceed with that measure sooner rather than later.

Posted by: Havoc737 | November 22, 2008 3:17 AM | Report abuse