The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:45 PM ET, 11/24/2008

PM Update: Rain to End Brief Warm-up

By Capital Weather Gang

* Reactions to Weather Channel Firings | Weather Wall *

For the first time since Nov. 16, Reagan National Airport touched 50 degrees this afternoon. Winds from the south boosted highs to 50 or above at most places in the metro area. The price we pay for the warmth is rain -- already advancing into the western and northern suburbs -- late this afternoon and tonight, followed by blustery conditions tomorrow.

Radar: Latest D.C. area radar loop shows movement of precipitation over past two hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update. Click here to see radar bigger. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Tonight: Incoming rain showers mean a wet commute for many. The steadier rain should continue until just after midnight, with just a slight chance of scattered showers through dawn. Lows drop down to 35-40 (suburbs-city), warm enough to keep the precipitation all liquid.

Tomorrow: Drier and colder air will settle in behind tonight's cold front. Expect variably cloudy skies and brisk conditions with afternoon highs only in the mid 40s. Winds from the west will blow at 10-20 mph with higher gusts.

See Jason's full forecast through the weekend.

By Capital Weather Gang  | November 24, 2008; 3:45 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Weather Channel Cuts Earn Mixed Reviews
Next: Forecast: A Brief Blustery Blow

Comments

Did anybody happen to notice the THOUSANDS of bird flying NORTH this morning in Lake Ridge? I was in absolute awe. I have never seen so many birds at the same time, EVER! It was an awesome sight as well as sound -- the sound of thousands (I'm not kidding, the sky was black with birds in some places) of birds flapping their wings is a unique sound. As I watched it I got a nasty, sinking feeling that something bad was going to happen. I couldn't help but to think of The Day After Tomorrow when the thousands of birds flew over NYC when the storm was developing.

Birds are supposed to fly SOUTH this time of year, right? They were flying towards the reservoir, which is North. That freaks me out. Anybody know what was going on or want to venture a guess as to why this was happening?

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | November 24, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

@weatherdudeVA: What kind of birds? Were they all the same kind, or different kinds?

Posted by: --sg | November 24, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, I also saw birds flying north and was wondering what was happening. It's very weird.

Posted by: bastings | November 24, 2008 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Where is Lake Ridge? Is that some little subdivision somewhere?

Posted by: MKadyman | November 24, 2008 8:44 PM | Report abuse

What a pleasant rainfall this is. Of the gentle but widespread variety. Held off until late in this evening's commute, and should be mostly gone by the morning rush.

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | November 24, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

--sg: They were all the same kind. Asking me to identify them is like asking me to translate something into Russian - no idea. Sorry. I just know that there were literally thousands of them flying towards Fairfax. Strangest thing I've ever seen.

MKadyman: Lake Ridge is a census-designated place (CDP) in Prince William County, Virginia, United States. The population was 30,404 at the 2000 census.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | November 24, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse