The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 12:00 PM ET, 11/16/2008

You Tell Us: How Much Snow this Winter?

By Jason Samenow

I've already posted about a half dozen or so winter outlooks that have been issued for our area. If you missed these summaries, you can find them in our archive in the Local Climate category. Before we release our winter outlook this coming Wednesday, we want to give you the chance to tell us how snowy it will be. So vote in the poll below. If you care to elaborate about how you think this winter will go down (e.g. month by month details, temperatures, etc.), leave a comment. Your reasoning need not be scientific :)

By Jason Samenow  | November 16, 2008; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  Local Climate
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: The Sun Grows Cold
Next: Forecast: After Wild Weekend, Wintry Reality

Comments

35+

This is the winter.

Posted by: LAWNMAN209 | November 16, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

I think 7 inches.

Maybe leesburg gets 20 inches.

Ihis winter will generate more stress for the snowbunnies, who will get disapoibnted

Posted by: pvogel88 | November 16, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Less than 1".

Nothing but cold rain this winter.

Posted by: Havoc737 | November 16, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

35+...winter of our discontent, poor and tired and being snowed in will help everyone stay home for a few extra days, chill with the kids and spend less money on stuff... keep plenty of rice and beans on hand

Posted by: ldenakpo | November 16, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

15-25 inches without the persistent s.e. ridging forcing the 85 west storm track.

We may get our first taste of accumulating white stuff NEXT WEEKEND !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: AugustaJim | November 16, 2008 9:40 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it amazing Jim?

And I personally wouldn't mind seeing some of the white stuff this Tuesday. =]

Posted by: LAWNMAN209 | November 16, 2008 10:01 PM | Report abuse

"35+ This is the winter."

"Less than 1". Nothing but cold rain this winter."

Hmmmmmm...

Posted by: PeterBethesda | November 16, 2008 10:39 PM | Report abuse

35+, because we are freakishly overdue for a snowy winter and a huge snowstorm.

Posted by: MKoehl | November 16, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

I think this area is over due for a good
storm or 2.
I think
Dec- Dusting- 1-2"
Jan- 1 big storm 8-12" and then 3"
Feb- 1 big storm 5-8" and then 1-3"
March- med storm 4"-8"

One storm will be a sleet/ice.
Overall Snow- 20"-28" for DC

Posted by: ccdt21 | November 17, 2008 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Jim in Blacksburg here:

Interesting poll, but aren't the ranges a bit large? I mean, you have a 10 inch spread in most of the poll options, when the average snowfall of DCA is only 16 inches.

This made 15-25 a pretty easy choice for me. I think we will have average to above average snow this year, thanks to a relatively neutral ENSO, but am not expecting a massive snowfall year. I'll go ahead and man up and put some numbers on it though:

DCA: 19"

IAD: 26"

BWI: 26"

RIC: 16.5"

Williamsburg: 10.5"

ORF: 8.5"

Blacksburg: 30"

Posted by: jahutch | November 17, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Mother nature is busy exposing global warming for the scam that it is. This should be a rough winter.

Posted by: peterp22 | November 17, 2008 10:44 AM | Report abuse

Coming from Georgia I have to say I'm pretty excited about seeing snow. Not that I've never seen it before but still the idea of seeing even 5 or 6 inches would be more than I've ever seen.

Since this is my first winter in DC I still predict a below average winter. Obviously not based on past experience but because first we had such a nice summer compariitvely speaking both here and in Georgia. Temperatures were in the 30s down there in October. So based on that I'd say colder than average winter both here and in Georgia.

However some of the warmest winters started out really cold.

Nonetheless I'm sure there'll be 20 inches of snow since the average is 16 or 17 depending on where one is.

Posted by: TerrenceM | November 17, 2008 1:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm expecting 13-18" for DCA. Higher amouts N & W of city. Overall expecting average temps this winter.

Posted by: VaTechBob | November 17, 2008 1:46 PM | Report abuse

The ssssssssssss word...I'm so distracted I can't even predict. Be still my heart.

Posted by: manassasmissy | November 17, 2008 5:20 PM | Report abuse

35+

It will fall in three different huge snowstorms that will be too big for ANYBODY to go to work so nobody will have to drive in bad weather and we can all be happy about how beautiful it is and take snow days and drink hot chocolate.

And since there will be 0" of ice nobody's power will go out.

Do I need to move somewhere else?

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | November 17, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse