The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:30 PM ET, 12/21/2008

Extremely Cold and Windy Tonight

By Jason Samenow

Wind chills will drop below zero in many places

Wind Advisory in effect from 8 p.m. tonight to 6 p.m. tomorrow

* Full forecast through Christmas Eve *

Taking into account the wind and plunging temperatures, tonight may be the coldest night locally since February 6, 2007 when it dropped to 10 degrees at Reagan National Airport and 6 degrees at Dulles.

The colder north and west suburbs will likely drop to 10-15 degrees with upper teens downtown and to the south and east. Factoring in a wind from the northwest at 20-35 mph (higher gusts possible), wind chills will fall as low as -5 to +5 between 11 p.m. tonight and 10 a.m. tomorrow morning.

How cold do you think it drops at the local airports tonight (DCA, IAD, and BWI)? Comment below. I will say DCA 19, IAD 13, BWI 14

By Jason Samenow  | December 21, 2008; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Winds to Usher in an Arctic Chill
Next: Forecast: Bitter Cold to Steadily Retreat

Comments

it's a pity the cold can't even be put to good use to ice some roads and cancel school right before xmas :(

Posted by: strangldangel | December 21, 2008 4:15 PM | Report abuse

It was nearly 50 and sunny all day in Takoma Park. Perfect day. Where's the wind? The air is still quiet.

Posted by: dcwarren | December 21, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Lows 2nite, DCA 24, IAD 19, BWI 19. Hi 2morrow 38, Tue 41. Temps will not b as cold as predicted.

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 21, 2008 5:26 PM | Report abuse

PJ Mt.Vernon here...

I echo VaTechBob. Not as cold as predicted.
DCA 25, IAD 19, BWI 21

Posted by: pjdunn1 | December 21, 2008 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Rarely gets as cold as predicted with these types of predicted lows. I will say 27 DCA.....IAD 21....BWI 23

Posted by: snowlover | December 21, 2008 6:06 PM | Report abuse

DCA 16F
BWI 14F
IAD 12F

I also predict that the surface 32F isotherm / the 850mb 0C surface and the 540-dkm thickness line will all simultaneously move north of the District of Columbia exactly 3.2 nanoseconds before the onset of precipitation on Tuesday.

Posted by: Arcturus | December 21, 2008 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Snowfall accumulation in my backyard here in Hayden Lake Idaho has now passed 40 inches (yes, he did say 40 inches), more expected tonight and tomorrow. Temperatures did manage 20 degrees, but expected to fall to single digits. Both Safeway and Albertson's still have plenty of bread, milk and toilet paper on shelves. I think we might have a white (can we still say that?) Christmas this year.

Posted by: slim2 | December 21, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure I speak for at least some of us here in the D.C. area that we are VERY happy for you, Slim2, and your 40+ inches of snow in Hayden Lake, Idaho. That's a mere 40+ inches more than has fallen and is almost certain to fall this winter in D.C.

You win! (Although that's hardly a fair contest.)

Posted by: Arcturus | December 21, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

I'll guess DCA 20, IAD 16, BWI 18.

There was a light sleet and ice accumulation on my deck this morning, which quickly melted as the sun came up. Still, it's nice to see precipitation in frozen form, because it will probably be liquid for the next two weeks or more.

Would anyone like to guess as to when the next time DCA will record snowfall? I'll say January 14th.

Posted by: Sterlingva | December 21, 2008 8:16 PM | Report abuse

Next snowfall will b Jan 8, 2010 1-2".

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 21, 2008 8:24 PM | Report abuse

Next snowfall will be March 10, 2009. The cold air will filter in right in time for Spring.

Posted by: GregRAINMAN | December 21, 2008 8:30 PM | Report abuse

DCA 17F
BWI 14F
IAD 10F

Posted by: deveinmadisonva | December 21, 2008 9:34 PM | Report abuse

January 8, 2008--5 inches.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 21, 2008 9:42 PM | Report abuse

@dcwarren

50 degrees today? Don't think so. The highs at the three area airports ranged from 42-44 (admittedly, about 5 degrees higher than forecast). Where's the wind? For the last six hours, it has been blowing at about 10-20 mph at all three observing stations (DCA, IAD, BWI), with gusts as high as 40 mph. It is forecast to increase. Let's deal with facts.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 21, 2008 9:48 PM | Report abuse

Instead of ranking tonight on a typical temperature scale, I tend to rate the cold on a how miserable is it scale, and I give tonight a 9 on the how miserable it is.

How do you define a 9?? A 9 is when you don't want to go to work the next morning just because you don't want to go into the elements.

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | December 21, 2008 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I went out this evening to photograph the National Christmas Tree and I can say that the wind whipping down Constitution Avenue made the walk quite uncomfortable. I also ventured up to the Washington Monument to take a few photos and my tripod would shake with the wind gusts.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | December 21, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

it's damned cold out there and it's only 29. Around here, with winds whipping to 25 and no humidity to speak of, it ain't pleasant to be outside for any reason at all. crank up the fire!

Posted by: weathergrrl | December 21, 2008 11:01 PM | Report abuse

duh -- sat dish hating the wind gusts
dca: 18
bwi: 19
iad: 15

Posted by: weathergrrl | December 21, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

oh wow isn't this perfect timing for the next storm? sike, it's going to be in the 50s on wednesday. yay for blowtorches... not

Posted by: tengoalyrunr30 | December 21, 2008 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Wow! The wind is really whipping aroud my aerie in Lake Ridge.

Posted by: meta2 | December 22, 2008 12:30 AM | Report abuse

This weather is absolutely fun. I simply wish that whenever we had precipitation, it could time itself properly with the Arctic Air Masses. We need some SNOW!

I am near IAD, and the Wind Chill is definitely dipping low. The thermometer is reading 20 Degrees Fahrenheit (It never went above 38 Degrees Fahrenheit Today), but the Wind Chill Factor is MUCH lower, no doubt.

I am fine with the air, but the wind was leaving my face numb (I was outside walking around for about 30 Minutes).

On a similar note, my Alaskan Husky LOVES this weather. When I tried to walk her tonight, she took off like a missile and wouldn't stop. She kept trotting through the neighborhood with the biggest smile on her face, just casually looking around like "Hey, THIS is fun! This is MY weather. Yeah, this is what I'm talking about!" Lol.

If the Wind Chill is dipping below 0 Degrees Fahrenheit, I wouldn't be surprised in the least. I actually had to pull my sweatshirt's hood up for once, and I rarely need to do that around here. The last December with Cold like this, that I can remember, was back in the 1980's/1990's, when I was a kid.

For you Cold Weather haters, just be glad that this isn't Canada. That entire Nation is currently ranging from -5 Degrees Fahrenheit, to -50 Degrees Fahrenheit, NOT Factoring in any Wind Chills. Inland Alaska is Deep in a Freeze as well, and they Average Wintertime Lows of -20 to -40 Degrees Fahrenheit, not Factoring in any Wind Chills (Heck, even parts of New Hampshire get that cold in Winter). You can actually hit -60 Degrees Fahrenheit up there, even lower at times, with no Wind. With wind, you can get below -80 Degrees Fahrenheit. Up on Mt. McKinley/Denali however, they've hit Antarctic Temperatures of below -100 Degrees Fahrenheit.

UPDATE: The Air Temperature is now steadily holding at 17 Degrees Fahrenheit, and that is right outside my window. Further away from the house, it's more likely 10-12 Degrees Fahrenheit or so, NOT Factoring in the Wind Chill.

Posted by: TheAnalyst | December 22, 2008 3:14 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheAnalyst | December 22, 2008 3:14 AM | Report abuse

Looks like I'm only getting 3 hours of sleep tonight. At least the cold air will wake me up, eh?

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 22, 2008 4:19 AM | Report abuse

The overnight lows: DCA 17, IAD and BWI 15.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 22, 2008 9:06 AM | Report abuse