The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:40 PM ET, 12/ 6/2008

Forecast: Some Flakes, Then Freezing

By Jason Samenow

A dusting, some slick spots, possible this evening

* Redskins-Ravens Forecast | Ski Season Starts Solid *

The persistently chilly pattern reinforces itself this evening as another cold front blasts through the region. Out ahead of it, some snow showers and flurries could amount to a dusting for some. Once the front passes, brutally blustery conditions will follow on Sunday but relent modestly for the start of next week.

TODAY (SATURDAY)

Radar: Latest D.C. area radar loop shows movement of precipitation over past two hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update. Click here to see radar bigger. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Increasing clouds with late afternoon/evening snow showers. 36-40. The day may begin with some sunshine, but mid- and high level clouds will gradually increase. During the afternoon, mostly cloudy skies should prevail with a 50% chance of precipitation moving into the western suburbs during the mid-afternoon and towards the eastern suburbs by dark. Afternoon precipitation may start as rain, but should mix with and change to snow as darkness approaches. Few, if any, travel problems are likely during the day -- with high temperatures in the upper 30s.

Overnight, there's a 50% chance of snow showers and flurries through around midnight. With temperatures falling, a few slick spots could develop -- especially in the colder suburbs during any brief bursts of heavier snow. Having said that, little more than a dusting is likely in the way of accumulation. Overnight lows will be near 30 downtown, and 26-30 in the suburbs.

Confidence: Medium

Keep reading for the forecast through Tuesday.

TOMORROW (SUNDAY)

Windy and cold. 33-37. Despite partly sunny skies, gusty winds from the northwest at 15-25 mph will feel brutal. Wind chills will be in the 20s most of the day.

Clear, breezy and very cold overnight with lows 18-23 (suburbs-city). Winds will modestly decrease to about 10-15 mph but with the cold air temperatures, wind chills will be in the teens.

A LOOK AHEAD

High pressure gives us calmer winds and somewhat milder temperatures on Monday . Highs should reach the upper 30s. Winds from the south along with increasing clouds Monday night will prevent temperatures from dropping below 28-32 (suburbs-city). Confidence: Medium-High

Rain is likely Tuesday, probably starting in the afternoon. However, if it starts in the morning, there may be a brief period of mixed precipitation. Highs should be near 40. Confidence: Low-Medium

By Jason Samenow  | December 6, 2008; 5:40 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Cold Tonight; Light Snow Tomorrow?
Next: Snow Dusting D.C. Area

Comments

Even the mention of snow a couple of years ago would have prompte 50+ posts - what's going on?

Posted by: snowlover | December 6, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

SnowLover-- For flurries on the weekend with little chance of accumulation we would not get significant comment volume. Comments arrived in droves for real chances of accumulating snow.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 6, 2008 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Jason is right SnowLover -- we're here, just awaiting some real snow news!

Jason - I'm hearing rumblings of a possible storm next weekend (Dec. 12/13). Thoughts?

Posted by: someonelikeyou | December 6, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Oh am I ever excited for measurable snow. I'll take any and all of course, but Jason is right. Measurable snow brings the most comments.

Posted by: Havoc737 | December 6, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

@someonelikeyou

The storm for late next week is big question mark. Right now indicators are that it may stay too far offshore to significantly impact us. If it does impact us, the cold air supply will be on the marginal side...so probably not a good idea to get our hopes up.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 6, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

just registered but long time follower - well pre-WP. anyway, looks like radar is filling in a bit. I know not always a great indicator.

Posted by: novajeffc | December 6, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

The weather report/snow news here is so much better than watching TV weather reports. This is more realistic and comprehensive. TV news is usually too exaggerated when it comes to snow. I've been disappointed so many times over the years because they talk about snow on TV but nothing to be seen.

Posted by: outofID | December 6, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Actually I rember days like today as 50+ posts and accumulating snows in the several hundred posts. Anyway, bring on the snow, as light as it might be. Any update on when/if we are going to see snow out here towards annapolis?

Posted by: snowlover | December 6, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

@snowlover

If/when the flakes start flying, I'm sure the totals will go up today. And I also think we'll see very high comment volume (100+) for accumulating snow events. The volume may not be as high as on the old site because registration is now required for commenting. Also, the quick and easy pop-up nature of the old commenting system probably boosted numbers. While these factors may reduce the quantity of comments, I think it will improve the quality.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 6, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Well said, Jason. snowlover, I will continue to comment about the total awesomeness of snow.

Going to a Tree Lighting/Caroling thing this evening and even some flurries would make the mood just right. It's out in Reston -- are they more likely to see snow than those of us inside the beltway?

Posted by: dinergirl | December 6, 2008 1:05 PM | Report abuse

The 12z GFS run brings the coastal back in to pretty good spot again after indicating it may go offshore the last runs. There is a bit of historical bias to the GFS toward the SE in longer-range modeling, and then a trend NW as the storm comes into closer range. It has varying support from other models at this point, so it seems there will be storm somewhere in the vicinity of the east coast mid-late next week.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 6, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Ian-- That set up looks really good. Hadn't seen that when I made my earlier comment... let's keep our fingers crossed

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 6, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

GFS this, Coastal that... We know it's DC, where it seems the moons of Jupiter have to align right for us to get decent snow. This early in the year? I'm not going to get my hopes up 7 days out.

How's that for summoning greg the rain man?

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | December 6, 2008 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Radar shows snow but not hitting ground here in Spotsy.

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 6, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Let's see if my "no school" prediction on Thursday holds up. :-)

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 6, 2008 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Does anybody have flurries yet? Just cloudy and very cold in Sterling.

Keeping my fingers crossed for next week:

Let's hope GFS is right!

Posted by: Sterlingva | December 6, 2008 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Saw some flurries at 2:53 in McLean. VERY light.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 6, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

My ears were burning while I was out putting up the Christmas lights. Did I hear someone summon Greg The RainMan?!?!?

Listen, when I moved out to the western suburbs of Virginia 5 years ago I was certain I was going to have many winter days with blizzard conditions. I have suffered through way too many dissapointments. That is why Greg The Rainman ALWAYS predicts rain even when there is a mere hint of SNOW.

We do have flurries today but I am sure this is a tease and the majority of the rest of winter will have temps in the 50's with rain after this week.

RAINMAN

Posted by: GregRAINMAN | December 6, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

hey snowlover i think its the host of this site,the w post. years past it was my fav site, none better, but now being affiliated with such a loser of a host,and all this al gore nut case stuff, lies and scare tactics have turned me off, and alot of the great folks of the past. jason,this site will never be what it was you will never see 100+ i am so sick of the in my face w post and their pop-ups. at least knock it off with the pop-ups or i'm done. oh btw not one flake of snow yet in madison va.

Posted by: deveinmadisonva | December 6, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

The 1st flakes of the season here in NW Spotsy.

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 6, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Looks like the snow showers and flurries are all around the DC area. The precip to the south seems to be moving southeast while snow is developing just north of us. Just like in previous years.. we are stuck in this dry hole..

Posted by: ZmanVA | December 6, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Small, Light flakes in the air in Ballston. Just wonderful for such a dry, cold day

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | December 6, 2008 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Pretty good snow flurries here in Sykesville, MD 21784. Nothing on the grass yet.

Posted by: jmr1 | December 6, 2008 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Just stepped outside here at work in Suitland and witnessed one very lonely snowflake. Doesn't look like I'll be coloring in the DC area with snowcover on our product any time soon.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 6, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Zmanva: keep in mind that the "dry hole" you see may very well be a gap in radar coverage. The mountains to our west can make it difficult for the doppler tower in Sterling to "see" precipitation.

Look at the infrared sattelite for our area, for example. Plenty of clouds over the mountain, even if the radar's not picking up the precipitation. http://www.accuweather.com/maps-satellite.asp?partner=accuweather&traveler=1&site=VA_&type=ei&anim=1&large=1

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 6, 2008 3:32 PM | Report abuse

It's as if I'm the only person in the DC area receiving snow. The flakes get steadier and steadier each time I'm looking out the window, but with temps 5 degrees above freezing (albeit falling), there's nothing in the way of accumulation.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 6, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

It's obvious what the problem is, right here in the Metro area (I'm in Vienna). It's simply too dry at the surface....the dew point is too low. It's been snowing steadily aloft for hours, with all but a few flakes, here and, there evaporating. Unless the lower levels moisten up a little, forget seeing any snow today at the surface.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | December 6, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I had some pretty little flakes coming down nicely about a half hour ago here in Alexandria... but they have since stopped. Can't wait for more!!

Posted by: AnneinSand | December 6, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

KBurchfiel: Not sure what you did.. but it's started to snow little flakes here in the Lake Ridge area ;-)

Looks like the the "dry hole" is shrinking.. fingers crossed.

Posted by: ZmanVA | December 6, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Well, it's snowing in Columbia. I'd call it a dusting right now. Boo. Does this cold December bode well for a warm January?

Posted by: dynagirl | December 6, 2008 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Still some flurries; intenstity less; my deck is accumulating a bit of snow.

I work in Frederick,live in Sykesville. Earlier this week I got caught in a pretty good sleet/snow squall on my commute. This was ~1:30-2pm Tuesday(?).

The sleet was pinging off the car so I figured I'd pull over and sit the storm out. The storm passed quickly and I continued my commute.

I'm heading east and catch up to the storm. Now I'm in it up to my neck..sleet,snow,etc. Windshield wipers going full blast,climate control set to defrost. I had to switch on the rear window heater due to ice build-up.

I can see the blue,sunny skies to east.
I break out of the storm, sun is shining, the white knuckle driving is gone.

Snow flurries pretty good now. Deck dusted and flora starting to whiten.

Posted by: jmr1 | December 6, 2008 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Tiny flakes falling in Sterling right now; looks like D.C. and points east should be getting some action.

Short-term forecast from NWS, 3:53 PM:
.NOW...
LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW SHOWERS HAVE DEVELOPED ACROSS PORTIONS OF
NORTHEAST MARYLAND AND THE BALTIMORE METRO AREA. FLURRIES TO LIGHT
SNOW SHOWERS CAN BE EXPECTED ACROSS MUCH OF THE BALTIMORE AND
WASHINGTON DC METRO AREAS THROUGH THE LATE AFTERNOON. TEMPERATURES
WILL REMAIN IN THE MID TO LOWER 30S. LIGHT ACCUMULATIONS ARE
POSSIBLE ON ELEVATED SURFACES THROUGH 5 PM. VISIBILITIES IN AREAS
OF HEAVIER SNOWFALL MAY BE REDUCED TO A MILE OR LESS AT TIMES.

Posted by: Sterlingva | December 6, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Is there alow forming off the coast of the Carolinas??

Posted by: snowlover | December 6, 2008 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and for the concerns about the volume of comments, I think 33 (and counting) for just snow flurries is pretty good.

Posted by: Sterlingva | December 6, 2008 4:25 PM | Report abuse

Here's a low-quality Youtube video of the current "storm" from my deck. The snow is easier to see on the original recording; the youtube video compresses it a little bit.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 6, 2008 4:26 PM | Report abuse

here in west end alexandria its a light persistent snow with very small flakes.
If it keeps up , we might get an inch in 12 hours.

Posted by: pvogel88 | December 6, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Had about 1.5 hrs of very light snow in NW Spotsy, 34 degrees. HOKIES r ACC CHAMPS 4 the 3rd time in 5 yrs, Orange Bowl here we come.

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 6, 2008 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Starting to see a bit of a dusting on elevated surfaces -- trashcan tops, some car tops, etc. -- here in NW DC. Very light snow (but more than flurries) now.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 6, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Dusting on my deck in McLean, and the snow continues to fall.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 6, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Snow covered cars and the grass is starting to get white as well.. in Lake Ridge.

Posted by: ZmanVA | December 6, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Here in NWDC light snow falling and I have a dusting. Hoping it continues

Posted by: NWDCJesse | December 6, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Just got an email from BWI airport. They have a groundstop and are deicing the planes

Posted by: pvogel88 | December 6, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I think this Clipper may overperform. Snow is starting to stick here in Baltimore County.

Posted by: CarolinaMike | December 6, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

It's been snowing here since about 4:40 starting to lighten up here.. Got a dusting on the cars, a little on the sidewalks, not too much though as we are on the western edge of the band

Posted by: Snowman_In_Herndon | December 6, 2008 5:35 PM | Report abuse

there is a dusting in bethesda. OMG!

Posted by: samdman95 | December 6, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

A dusting in Friendship Heights in NW DC. Temperature 32 degrees.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 6, 2008 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm almost ready to call this a measurable snow event. Threw a snowball at my dad's window.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 6, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

My deck finally has a frosty white coat...thin, but ever welcome. Light flurries continue here in Manassas. (Just hear those sleigh bells jingaling...)

Posted by: manassasmissy | December 6, 2008 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Decent small-dusting here in Ballston. No roads or cement surfaces covered as of yet, but cars, yards, and railings have a nice coating of snow. Overall, this clipper has done about as much as I could hope for. Great "real" start to the winter/snow season. A dusting before the first week of December is out!

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | December 6, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Ditto in Bethesda-grass and sidewalk are white.

Posted by: jws3 | December 6, 2008 6:30 PM | Report abuse

How long can we expect the snow to continue our here in annapolis?

Posted by: snowlover | December 6, 2008 6:41 PM | Report abuse