Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
The new Washington
Post Weather website
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 12/25/2008

Forecast: Sunny, Seasonable Christmas Weather

By Josh Larson

Noticeably milder, though showery, this weekend

* Forecast From... Santa?! | 'Nothing Takes Longer Than Waiting for Snow' *

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Sun & clouds. Upper 40s | Tonight: Dry. Lower 30s | Tomorrow: Mostly cloudy. Low 40s | A Look Ahead

FORECAST IN DETAIL

While this Christmas won't be white, I'd say that the conditions will be pretty nice. High pressure is giving the gift of dry weather and temperatures within a couple degrees of where they should be for December 25. Clouds and slightly cooler temperatures will provide the backdrop for any bargain hunting tomorrow, but the weekend looks considerably milder (from a southerly push of air) with scattered showers a pretty good bet on Sunday. It may turn somewhat cooler again for back-to-work (for some of us) Monday.

Webcam: Latest view of D.C. from the Netherlands Carillon at Arlington National Cemetery. Courtesy National Park Service. Refresh page to update. See this image bigger on our Weather Wall.

Today (Christmas Day): Any showers should clear the area before dawn this morning, though some clouds may hang around through mid-morning. But clouds should rather quickly break up by late morning, giving way to a partly to mostly sunny and dry afternoon with high temperatures in the upper 40s in most areas. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight:We'll see partly cloudy skies tonight, with low temperatures near 30 in the colder suburbs to the mid 30s downtown. Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast through the beginning of next week.

Tomorrow (Friday): For those of you brave (or enterprising?) enough to tackle after-Christmas sales on Friday, you can expect mostly cloudy skies with slightly cooler highs in the low to mid 40s. Though the sky may look rather threatening at times, I'm expecting dry conditions during the daylight hours. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow Night: The same can't exactly be said about Friday night, when overcast skies may produce some showers -- mostly of the light and scattered variety. Overnight lows will be right around 40. Confidence: Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

As the flow turns more southerly on Saturday, we'll see variably cloudy skies and considerably milder temperatures. Expect highs from the mid 50s to even 60 if we got some sunshine. We'll have a slight (20%) chance for some scattered showers during the second part of the day but don't be surprised if it stays dry. A shower or two could linger into Saturday night, with quite mild overnight lows only dropping to around 50. Confidence: Medium

Mostly cloudy skies persist Sunday with more showers especially during the morning and mid-day hours. With a strong flow from the south ahead of an approaching cold front, we've got a good shot at hitting a balmy (for late December) 60 degrees during the afternoon before it turns colder (and drier) Sunday night, with overnight lows back down to the low-to-mid 30s. Confidence: Low-Medium

The outlook for Monday calls for partly to mostly sunny skies and dry conditions, as high pressure builds in. Afternoon temperatures will probably be in the upper 40s, with overnight lows ranging from the upper 20s to the low 30s. Confidence: Medium

By Josh Larson  | December 25, 2008; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Some Showers for Santa's Arrival
Next: National Christmas Tree, Sans Snow

Comments

Merry Christmas Cap Team & Town!

06z GFS still looking good for 1/2 as southern system, "currently" on a track to NC Coast with latest run......that would bring us some white stuff hopefully...

Posted by: StormChaserMan | December 25, 2008 8:52 AM | Report abuse

Merry Christmas to all from the great, off-white north!

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 25, 2008 10:01 AM | Report abuse

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Posted by: --sg | December 25, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Merry CHRISTmas everyone! give a big hug today to someone and your sure to get one in return.btw great weather, whats the next chance of snow?

Posted by: deveinmadisonva | December 25, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

What happened to the rain we were supposed to get last night.....Christmas Eve? I didn't see a drop in Vienna, where I was.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | December 25, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

@MMCarhelp

We called for a 60% chance of showers--so that would indicate there was a 40% chance you'd get no rain. Also, I saw raindrops where I was, and DCA had light rain at 10 p.m., as did BWI at 8p.m. and 10 p.m.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | December 25, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2012 The Washington Post Company