Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
The new Washington
Post Weather website
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 4:00 PM ET, 12/11/2008

PM Update: Drenching Drive Home. Any Snow?

By Ian Livingston

Storm departs Friday but leaves cold behind

* Traffic | Radar, Temps & More: Weather Wall | This Evening: SchoolCast *

Winter Weather Advisory early Friday for Montgomery, Loudoun, Frederick & Howard counties

As predicted here, today has been a cold, raw washout. Rain that began around sunrise continues, and heavier bands that arrived this afternoon will last through the evening, as will a Flood Watch. Much of the area has seen .25"-.50" of rain so far with plenty more to come. Temperatures have held near 40 today will stay around that mark this evening.

Tonight: Rain will fall heavy at times through the evening and into the night with temperatures in the upper 30s to near 40. Around midnight, the far northwest suburbs -- including places like Leesburg and Frederick -- may begin mixing with sleet and/or snow. By sunrise, much of the area may see some snow as the storm departs.

Tomorrow: A morning dusting or so is not out of the question, especially north and northwest of town, but temperatures in the mid-to-upper 30s should keep accumulations minimal where they occur. The bulk of Friday should be much quieter. Look for mostly cloudy skies, and maybe an additional isolated shower or snowflake, with a trend toward clearing late. Highs around 40 will feel colder than that as a fairly stiff wind blows from the northwest.

See Josh Larson's forecast into early next week.

By Ian Livingston  | December 11, 2008; 4:00 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Update: Heavy Rain on the Way; Morning Dusting?
Next: Sleet and Snow May Follow Soaking Rain

Comments

NO COMMENTS? Boy, the site is going downhill!

:-) Just kidding. I don't measure the quality of a blog by the number of comments it receives. I do, however, measure the quality of a winter storm by the number of posts it gets on CapWX. By those standards, this one's been Greg-esque.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 11, 2008 3:24 PM | Report abuse

It's currently 38F here in Arnold, and so far today we've had 0.5" of rain. Will be interesting to see if we can get a quick coating of snow tomorrow morning, sure would brighten up a week that has seen its fair share of drab weather(although I'm not complaining, the rain is a welcome occurrence). The next week or so appear as though they will be somewhat above average by December standards, hopefully we can get some cold air in here before Christmas.

Posted by: arnoldkh | December 11, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Nice to see CWG linked from the homepage top stories slideshow thingy!

Posted by: PeterBethesda | December 11, 2008 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Reagan went from 57 degrees at midnight to 41 degrees at 9 in the morning. How's that for a cold front?

Message from the NWS for all you spotters out there:
".SPOTTER INFORMATION STATEMENT...

NO HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS EXPECTED AT THIS TIME...BUT REPORTS OF
SNOW OR ICE AND HEAVY RAINFALL WOULD BE APPRECIATED."

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 11, 2008 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Things look a little more promising in the snow department for us. I know there'll be one excited third-grader looking at the school cast!

Posted by: weathergrrl | December 11, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Weathergrrl: I'm not sure they'll even bother to put up a schoolcast. (Not that I want to disappoint the third grader!)

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 11, 2008 5:57 PM | Report abuse

I think a schoolcast is required for those of us way out here in Leesburg :)

Posted by: mandarb77 | December 11, 2008 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Wx Underground seems to be adjusting their forecast. Is this starting to look like more snow than expected? An earlier changeover?

Posted by: stewardsteven | December 11, 2008 6:08 PM | Report abuse

It says there is going to be a schoolcast, but I live in Montgomery county and I say 70% chance of a normal school day, 25% chance of a 2 hour delay and a 5% chance of no school.

Posted by: samdman95 | December 11, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Hate 2 b the bearer of bad news, but don't expect much in the way of any snow from the backend of a storm. Eevn if it does snow it will all disappear by Sat. Temps from Sun-Fri will b above average. Of course, even a 1" snow fall would b nice.

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 11, 2008 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Wrap around from departing storms is usually a waste of time in the DC area. If there is any residual precipitation it usually falls in the far north and west suburbs and usually even farther north than that. So, snow lovers, keep your fingers and toes and anything else you can cross, crossed!

Posted by: pjdunn1 | December 11, 2008 7:09 PM | Report abuse

It looked as if the sky was lit up with lightning twice as we headed north on Georgia Avenue through Silver Spring. Were we imagining things? Power was also out near GA and CT Aves.

Posted by: mcljphillips | December 11, 2008 8:54 PM | Report abuse

500 mb energy over s. Apps. is maintaining integrity.

Snow is looking more likely for many tomorrow morning, especially western areas.

Posted by: AugustaJim | December 11, 2008 8:57 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2012 The Washington Post Company