The new Washington
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:35 PM ET, 12/22/2008

PM Update: Winds Begin to Weaken, Cold Remains

By Ian Livingston

Some single digits overnight; Slightly warmer Tuesday

* New Photo Gallery | TWC Criticized for One-Sided Reporting *

Temperatures: Current area temperatures. Powered by Weather Bonk. Map by Google. Hover over and click icons for more info. Click and hold on map to pan. Refresh page to update. See map bigger on our Weather Wall.

Plentiful sunshine today was no match for very cold air that spilled into the area overnight. Highs generally reached the upper 20s, marking the first time this season that temperatures failed to rise above freezing across most of the area. Winds that gusted up to 30-40 mph throughout the early morning slowly diminished this afternoon, allowing wind chills to rise into the teens in most places.

Tonight: We will see mostly clear skies tonight as high pressure settles over the area. Add lighter winds to the equation and we end up with the coldest night of this season so far for many. Look for frigid temperatures in the single digits north and west of D.C. and down into the teens elsewhere.

Tomorrow: Cold high pressure will still be in control Tuesday. There may be a few more clouds in the sky compared to today, while temperatures rise just a bit warmer. Pretty much everyone should top out in the mid 30s as winds start to come out of the south later in the day -- a sign of warmer weather to come.

Just How Cold? Today's bone-chilling temperatures have got people talking on Twitter. DCDiva28 sums it all up nicely by saying, "It is so cold here today! Why must I leave my apartment? WHY?" After spending a few minutes outside recently, I must say I agree. Drop us a line in the comment section to tell us how you've been dealing with today's Arctic blast.

See Jason Samenow's forecast through the weekend.

By Ian Livingston  | December 22, 2008; 5:35 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Our New Weather Photo Gallery
Next: Forecast: Christmas Eve Rain; Yuletide Warming

Comments

With layers, lot of layers. And wool socks.

Surprisingly, I've seen several people walking outside today without hats on...hats would be a good start.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | December 22, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

It's really not that cold.

Posted by: dcwarren | December 22, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Because I am from California, I see snow as an exotic thing-- something to get excited. White Christmas is something I never experience.
So you can imagine my huge disappointment with lack of snow this week especially with the cold temperatures. Freezing rain? Com'on!
Can you look into your magic globe and let us know if there are any (snow)storms heading down from Canada soon?

Posted by: FormerSanDiegan | December 22, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

and I agree with dcwarren-- it is not that cold. It feels the same as if it is 35 degrees outside. No difference.
(However, IF it is snowing and all, nobody will complain! :-) )

I wonder if the temperature here is just the same in Alsaka... (consulting wunderground.com) No, as it seems that Anchorage's current temp is 12.7... but they got snow!

Posted by: FormerSanDiegan | December 22, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

The sun is what makes it bearable, I think. Clouds would have made it a gruesome day.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 22, 2008 4:18 PM | Report abuse

I enjoy the cold, can take the dog on nice long walks. A few mins of walking & I'm nice & warm with sweat pants, shirt & crocs. Cold is only a state of mind. I even plan 2 go 2 the 301 Bridge & striper fish 2morrow. Sorry 2 see above average temps coming on Wed. & lasting the rest of this month. Thanks Global Warming.

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 22, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

The wind chill today was a little unbearable but I agree the sun still felt nice.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 22, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Days like today + days like today with snow... every day from Dec. through Feb. - would be the ideal winter conditions in my mind! =P

Posted by: jahutch | December 22, 2008 6:04 PM | Report abuse

FormerSanDiegan- There is really nothing in the near future that suggest any type on wintery event that will be worth anything to talk about. If you just moved here, you will find out real quick that snow is hard to come by in the Mid-Atlantic. Snowstorms around here arent like the ones you'll hear about in the midwest or plains states. A lot has to happen for us to get a big snow and the pattern is just not right for it here. So December will be snowless but I think there will be some interesting changes in the pattern for jan and feb. As you may know jan and feb were predicted to be mild/warm in the east so we shall see what happens. CapWx- Do you see anything interesting down the road?

Robert.

Posted by: clintonportis17 | December 22, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Formersandiegan, I think it feels WAY colder than 35 out. I mean, right when you walk out and you're all warm, maybe it feels the same, but the speed at which the cold penetrates to the bones is much higher today than it was the other day.

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | December 22, 2008 6:44 PM | Report abuse

I walked home from the Metro around 5:30 this morning. It was 11 degrees. Factor in the wind (11 mph, gusts to 30) and it was down right cold. However my face was the only part that was really that cold.

Posted by: Havoc737 | December 22, 2008 6:54 PM | Report abuse

Former SD, u will probably get 2 see some snow this winter. Outside of the winter of 04 when we had 40", it seems snow has become much rarer during the 21st century. This area has always been right on the border line between rain & snow, just the nature of the beast. I've lived in this area since 1954 & it's always been a battleground area. That 1 or 2 big storms is always on the horizon.

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 22, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Bob Ryan noted today's high of 28 at National was lower than any "cold highs" last yr. Glancing through climate records it looks like 33 was the lowest daytime high for winter 07/08.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | December 22, 2008 8:08 PM | Report abuse

I like the cold weather a lot. I scooted outside way more times than I had to today, just to get that icy blast! Sure, I bundled up but a few minutes outdoors for a walk is quite bracing.

Posted by: --sg | December 22, 2008 9:01 PM | Report abuse

I put on about 4 layers of ski clothes on top and two layers on the bottom along with two pairs of wool socks this morning and then hopped on my bike and rode to work. With all that gear on, I wasn't too cold, but the wind was in my face the whole way and it killed my time!

Posted by: brewer1 | December 22, 2008 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Another 5" overnight here in Hayden Lake Idaho bringing the weekly total to over 45 inches(yes, he did say inches). Spent the PM shoveling snow off the roof. Snowplow just came through again, luckily that was after I had returned from Safeway with some bread, beer, and a pizza in a box--no toilet paper. Manager said so far, no run on these "essentials". TV weather girl looks like she has had enough too, said snow showers can be expected every day then went to commercial. Think I will call it a night, wife's turn to shovel tomorrow.

Posted by: slim2 | December 22, 2008 10:28 PM | Report abuse

I realize we have nothing on the Midwest, but for D.C., today goes down as a bitterly cold day in my book. And I'm still cold, even with the heat going full force.

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | December 22, 2008 11:07 PM | Report abuse

Looks like it's high time to take a walk along the frozen creek. Oh, wait, it's 20.6 degrees outside. Never mind.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | December 22, 2008 11:12 PM | Report abuse

No wind, mid 30's 2morrow, good day 2 go striper fishing. 28 & some people dress like it's the tundra, I haven't worn a coat in yrs. Go outside & move around & you'll b fine. I'm 60, so u young ones r all wimps. Spending Jan. on Mt Wsahington would b priceless.

Posted by: VaTechBob | December 22, 2008 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Well, I wouldn't say it was warm out today. I can take a lot in the cold weather area but when you caught one of those good stiff gusts out there today, well, who's kidding who, that was some kind of cold. I did what I rarely do in DC winters - broke out the Nanook of the North parka for tonight's walk when I saw the windchill was around 14. Nothing gets through that sucker. And thermal underwear, of course. So, the hour walk was definitely doable and fairly comfortable. It's all about how you dress, isn't it?

But, after living here since 1968 and freaking out at the age of 4 when I saw snow for the first time (California native), I've always felt: what's the point of winter and cold weather if you don't get any snow? I pray for snow in January and February when I'm in need of one of those "middle of the week, stuck inside the house, mental health days!"

Posted by: bobosnow | December 23, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse