The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 7:00 PM ET, 01/ 8/2009

Capital Weather Gang Turns 1

By Dan Stillman

* More Sun on Friday: Full Forecast | Swearing-In Date Switcheroo *

A year ago today we launched the Capital Weather Gang with one simple goal: To become the No. 1 source for D.C. weather -- rain, snow or shine. How are we doing? Please let us know using the comments section below. We'll gladly take compliments. But would prefer constructive criticism.

By Dan Stillman  | January 8, 2009; 7:00 PM ET
Categories:  Capital Weather Gang
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Mainly Clear After Morning Action
Next: InaugurationCast: Can Cold Blast Last?

Comments

Happy Birthday!!! to, us?(though I'm a bit short of the full year...)

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 8, 2009 7:10 PM | Report abuse

I have only happiness and love to offer CWG. Remember the hundreds of hurricane trolls and how I freaked out and you fixed it?

How can I offer anything but love?

(and thankfulness for the registration process?)

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | January 8, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Happy birthday CWG! Thanks for keeping us informed, and for everything you do.

Posted by: natsncats | January 8, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

Happy birthday! Constructive criticism...hm....well, maybe we could use more of your Accuracy Checker dude? Or maybe a more routine appearance? Not a big deal, either way.

And where has Andrew's post gone?

Posted by: --sg | January 8, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Snow lovers crystal ball for staurday or next friday storm?

Posted by: samdman95 | January 8, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

@~sg

To everyone else..

Thanks for the comments so far. Keep 'em coming...

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | January 8, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Happy (Re)Birthday CWG! I stopped watching The Weather Channel because of you guys. This is truly the best place for weather in the DC area, and I'm glad I know about you guys.

Constructive criticism? Yeah, as a matter of fact I do. MAKE IT SNOW DANG IT! Hehehe, just kidding. :P

Really, my one and only "complaint" (yes, I know you said constructive criticism) is that the site takes about a minute to load for me, where most other sites take a few seconds...but I know there's nothing you can do about it. The fact that I only have one complaint about your blog (with my being Mr. Complainer and all) shows that the CWG is excellent! Keep up the good work!

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | January 8, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

@sandman95

We debated doing a Snow Lover's Crystal Ball for Saturday but the guidance came in a little too warm, so it's looking like more rain, maybe starting and ending as a wintry mix.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | January 8, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

I would think at least a flake is merited on the Saturday graphic.

In any event. Great job. The possibilities for snow and cold coming up are a well-deserved first birthday present.

I like the idea of linking folks over to Eastern Wx Forums for additional discussion of timely topics.

Posted by: gfp76 | January 8, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

oooh... happy birthday cwg! LOVE the site!! and i hope we get some snow soon :)

Posted by: madisondc | January 8, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

happy birthday cwg! I'm sure you guys would love nothing more then to forecast a blizzard soon!

Posted by: clintonportis17 | January 8, 2009 9:47 PM | Report abuse

Happy b-day, guys - I admit, I still miss the OLD blog site but I'm glad you're still around. I still think y'all are the most accurate in the region in terms of nailing forecasts...

Posted by: VAStateOfMind | January 8, 2009 10:20 PM | Report abuse

Have a yellow happy birthday CWG!!!!!!

There is no better site than yours when it comes to the weather!

I see there are some chances for snow next week! YAY!!!

I'm crossing my fingers for a snow day!

Posted by: Yellowboy | January 8, 2009 10:31 PM | Report abuse

Thank y'all for your work - happy birthday!

Posted by: hhsten | January 8, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Dump the UVA guys & this site will be prefect.

Posted by: VaTechBob | January 8, 2009 11:18 PM | Report abuse

Headed 2 Central Pa. fri. 2 watch the Steelers on tv with some fishing buddies, calling for 3-6" of snow on Sat. Looks like I might get to see some snow this winter. On 2nd thought, the UVA guys can stay.

Posted by: VaTechBob | January 8, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday, CWG! i've been reading since the beginning in '04, but am happy you've had success here (and would follow you guys anywhere).

i particularly enjoy Andrew's columns, and other columns that address historical weather or science behind weather (loved the recent one about the move of inauguration.)

i also appreciate the fact that there are genuine snow lovers here! i really can't imagine going anything else for my weather fix. you guys are the best!

my only criticism i had was that you needed a gal on the gang -- and now you have one! well done, amy!

Posted by: dinergirl | January 9, 2009 12:27 AM | Report abuse

oops, sorry! i mean, ANN!

Posted by: dinergirl | January 9, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Happy b-day and thanks for the great site!

And I agree with you guys on Saturday's event. It is so close... but so far. Of course, for those who really need some snow, Philly isn't that far of a drive, and based on current guidance I'd say that while they may get some mixing, they probably stay frozen and see 2-4" of snow.

There's still room for it to come south of course, but I don't see that in the cards, the models seem to be locking onto a solution. The upcoming cold bodes well for us though - while it isn't likely to deliver big snows, I do think it raises considerably the chances for some smaller clipper-type events.

Posted by: jahutch | January 9, 2009 12:47 AM | Report abuse

@VaTechBob

Dumping UVa guys is worthless Bob! Go Hoos!

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | January 9, 2009 1:07 AM | Report abuse

You guys should already know that this is the best website for Washington weather, so I'll focus on what could be improved.

First: instead of featuring the NWS forecast at the top left of the page, use that space to feature your own forecast. This is Capitalweather, after all.

Second: I love text-based forecasts when there's exciting weather on the way, but I don't want to have to read 200 words just to know that it's going to be sunny and dry for the next few days. This problem would be remedied if you exhibited your own forecast in a graphical forecast (like you do with the NWS readout).

Third: I think you could stand to teach us uniformed public a bit more about the science behind weather. What's a trough? What determines the type of front a weather system assumes?

Other than that, keep up the good work and never be afraid to get creative!

Posted by: KBurchfiel | January 9, 2009 2:27 AM | Report abuse

Jason wrote, "Andrew is in Australia, but will be back in 10 days and will be resuming writing."

Well shoot. I knew it was too good to be true. Life was waaaaaaaaaay to peaceful to continue as it was. :(

Maybe during his hiatus he will have read some of the arguments of the opposition. After all, I read the pro-arguments. Why can't he be bothered with the counter-arguments?

Mr. Q.

Posted by: Mr_Q | January 9, 2009 3:48 AM | Report abuse

@KBurchfiel

Thanks for the feedback. Not doing our own graphical forecast is more of a time issue. CWG contributors do this on the side (not full time) so updating a graphical forecast several times a day isn't feasible.

We can definitely try to do some more weather education related posts...

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | January 9, 2009 9:32 AM | Report abuse

KBurchfiel -- I hear ya on the issue of not necessarily wanting to read through a lot of text if the weather isn't too active. While we do try to keep our narratives concise, you may notice we recently introduced the Express Forecast at the top of our morning forecast posts, and will continue to look for ways to effectively communicate the forecast in both short and longer form. Thanks much for the suggestions!

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | January 9, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse