The new Washington
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 12:00 PM ET, 01/11/2009

Forecast: Clearing & Cool Before Big Chill

By Brian Jackson

* InaugurationCast | Our Microclimate Ice Storm *

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Turning partly sunny. Breezy early. 38-42. | Tonight: Partly cloudy and cool. 22-27. | Tomorrow: Mostly sunny. Some clouds late? 38-42. | A Look Ahead

FORECAST IN DETAIL

We're in for a couple of run-of-the-mill winter days before a sharp arctic blast overtakes our area. By week's end be ready to bundle up as some of the coldest air of the season will put quite the chill in the bones. We may manage to see some flurries or snow showers during the coming week, but as of yet there's no big storm on the maps.

Temperatures: Current area temperatures. Powered by Weather Bonk. Map by Google. Hover over and click icons for more info. Click and hold on map to pan. Refresh page to update. See map bigger on our Weather Wall.

Today (Sunday): Any lingering showers should be well clear of the area by the time you read this. As low pressure moves off, morning skies should become partly sunny and stay that way through the day. Winds will be breezy from the northwest (gusts to near 25 mph) before slackening in the afternoon, and highs will only reach the upper 30s to near 40. Confidence: High

Tonight: For the overnight, expect partly cloudy skies overhead. Lows will bottom out mostly in the mid 20s, maybe some low 20s in some of the colder suburbs. Winds will be light -- less than 10 mph -- out of the north or northwest. Confidence: High

Keep reading for the forecast through your work week...

Tomorrow (Monday): Monday looks like a repeat performance of today. Sunny skies will be prevalent for the majority of the day and afternoon highs will make the upper 30s to around 40. Some clouds may begin to enter the area later in the day as our next weather system begins to approach. Confidence: High

Tomorrow Night: Clouds will be on the increase as a cold front approaches from our west. Maybe this system sets off some flurries during the night, though I don't expect you'll need your snow brush in the morning. Lows in the upper 20s in the District with some mid 20s sprinkled about the suburbs. Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

Tuesday sees the cold front pass through, giving us a chance of some flurries or snow showers, but probably nothing more. A good amount of cloud cover will probably help keep highs to the mid-to-upper 30s. Confidence: Medium

Wednesday brings with it the onset of our much anticipated cold blast. Temperatures may struggle to reach 30. Confidence: Medium

Another clipper system could come through around the Wednesday night-Thursday period. For now it doesn't look like anything more significant than some snow showers or light snow, but we'll keep our eye on things just in case. Continued cold on Thursday with highs probably in the upper 20s to near 30. Confidence: Low-Medium

The mercury may really dip on Friday when highs could potentially fail to get past the low 20s. Confidence: Medium

By Brian Jackson  | January 11, 2009; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Raw Rain, Then Cold to Come
Next: Our Microclimate Ice Storm

Comments

Interesting. GFS long-range is showing snow for Inauguration Day.

Posted by: bdeco | January 11, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

...and a nor'easter for the weekend of the 24-25. Hope springs eternal, I suppose.

Posted by: bdeco | January 11, 2009 8:58 AM | Report abuse

The long range going into next weekend (Sunday afternoon, Monday and Tuesday morning) do show some promise. We have seen this before but maybe we will have a snowy innauguration day. A fresh coating of snow for a FRESH start to the next four years.

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | January 11, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Anyone actually looking forward to the arctic air later this week? I, for one, am not. I think it is already cold enough!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | January 11, 2009 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Current temperature in Burke: 38.8 with overcast skies.

I'm looking forward to the cold because that just increases our chances of getting snow. (But if it gets too cold, then it will be too dry)

I'm crossing my fingers! :)

Posted by: Yellowboy | January 11, 2009 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Camden-CapitalWeatherGang

I'am not just for the fact that its just going to be cold and not snowy! I much rather have it warm and dry the frigid and dry. As boring as this winter has been, 80's can't come soon enough IMO.

Posted by: clintonportis17 | January 11, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I love cold, cold air and always have - I look forward to it more than I do to the snow that used to go along with the cold. I sleep better, breathe better, and feel better all around when it's super-cold; and, I love to wear snuggly sweaters.

Posted by: --sg | January 11, 2009 10:49 AM | Report abuse

@Camden
I for one can say that i'm looking forward to it. Yep, I'll complain once it comes, and it will severly impact my wearing of flip flops, but it's winter, it's supposed to be cold and wintery. And come on, I'd rather it be 12 degrees and MISERABLE instead of 34 and raining.

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | January 11, 2009 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Ah! there is varying agreement/disagreement. Very good! Well, it will make things a little "interesting" yes. We shall see just how cold it gets!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | January 11, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Given the severity of the cold air and the weakness of the clippers scheduled to move through, I think any snow that falls over our area would dry up as virga. It's hard to get cold air AND sufficient moisture, though we have little trouble finding one or the other.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | January 11, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Please see my 3:25 PM post above.

Even the upcoming cold spell is starting to feel the effects of "global warming". The previous projected high for Friday, Jan. 16 was 22 Fahrenheit, not the "25 to 30" I'm now hearing in some quarters. At least CWG is sticking with the "low twenties" figure.

Maybe it's time to appoint Al Gore to the position of D.C. weather czar.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | January 11, 2009 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Absolutely looking forward to the cold. I love it. In fact, I'd prefer a climate where the highs were in the 20s from Dec - Feb. Yeah, I know, I live in the wrong place :P.

And as for 80s, I'd be quite happy to not see a temperature over 75 for the rest of my life (except at the beach).

Posted by: jahutch | January 11, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I'm looking forward to the cold...I love when the air is clear and brisk and fine. Bring it on. Forget the rain and 34...HATE it.

Posted by: manassasmissy | January 11, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Hi Camden! I'm looking forward to the cold. At least there will be the chance of snow. Besides, highs in the upper 20s and low 30s isn't all that cold!

Posted by: dcwarren | January 11, 2009 7:35 PM | Report abuse

@bdeco:

Ooooh ooooh oooh! Let me say it!

"The GFS ALWAYS predicts snow this far out. Don't trust it. We weather pros call the GFS 'Good For Snow.'"

Aaaaaaaaand even though I don't have a clue how to read those models, I'd like to thank the CWG discussion board for teaching me this little nugget. I feel all weather-hobbyist-y now. (I hope I got it right.)

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | January 11, 2009 9:22 PM | Report abuse