The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:30 AM ET, 01/28/2009

Forecast: Struggling Toward 32°, Refreeze Tonight

By Dan Stillman

Many side roads and sidewalks remain slippery

* Deicer Dilemma: How to Choose and How to Use | Driving Tips *

Winter Storm Warning Extended Until 6 p.m.

OUR LATEST FORECAST

Hurray! It's another day off school for most of you (except a delay for D.C. and some colleges; see the school closings link in our Winter Weather Center for more info). Boooo... it's another rough ride on the roads for others of you (see traffic and road condition links in our Winter Weather Center; and stay home for the morning if you can). Now that I've properly plugged our Winter Weather Center (oops, said it again), let's get to the full forecast...

This Afternoon: Light freezing drizzle changes to regular old drizzle as temperatures slowly rise above freezing. Be careful out there, whether you're driving or just walking. Many side roads and sidewalks will remain slippery through the day, only softening up a bit as afternoon highs try to reach the upper 30s.

A parting shot of rain showers could move in during the late afternoon as a gusty breeze develops. All this as the exiting storm system's trailing cold front comes through, putting an end to any precipitation by early evening (could change briefly to snow showers before ending).

*** Winter Weather Center ***
Closings/Delays | Traffic | Metro | Flights | Amtrak | OPM | Roads: DC/MD/VA
Radar: Latest D.C. area radar loop shows movement of precipitation over past two hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update.
Temperatures: Hover over and click icons for more info. Click and hold on map to pan. Powered by Weather Bonk. Map by Google. Refresh page to update.
View/Submit Photos | Ultimate Overview of Current Conditions: Weather Wall

Tonight: Clearing skies and windy with temperatures dropping below freezing by around midnight, on their way to lows in the 20s. So, any water left on roads and sidewalks could become very icy again.

Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend. How are conditions where you are? Let us know in the comments section.

Taken yesterday afternoon near Dupont Circle, looking toward Rosslyn. By Capital Weather Gang photographer Ian Livingston.

Thursday & Friday: Partly sunny Thursday and mostly cloudy Friday with highs both days around 35-40. Maybe some flurries or a little light snow on Friday.

The Weekend: Saturday looks like a cold and windy winter day. Highs in the low 30s at best. Warmer and less windy Sunday with highs probably near 40.

By Dan Stillman  | January 28, 2009; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts, Winter Storms
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Deicer Dilemma: How to Choose and How to Use
Next: Iwo Jima in the Snow

Comments

WTOP announced Fairfax County Public Schools are closed today. Shouldn't be long before the rest of the dominoes fall.

Posted by: techmen | January 28, 2009 4:18 AM | Report abuse

Expecting an email from MOCO schools in about 25 min.

Posted by: PoorTeacher | January 28, 2009 4:45 AM | Report abuse

FCPS is closed but OPM says not even a delay for Feds...will that change?

Posted by: erouscg | January 28, 2009 4:54 AM | Report abuse

MOCO closed today.

Posted by: PoorTeacher | January 28, 2009 4:54 AM | Report abuse

What a mess. Let's see if the White House knows that the Bush Adm always forced government workers to commute in the snow.

Posted by: blasmaic | January 28, 2009 5:05 AM | Report abuse

Federal Government Open Unscheduled Leave

Posted by: sally121 | January 28, 2009 5:11 AM | Report abuse

WTOP says Fed Gov has liberal leave.

Posted by: mdreader01 | January 28, 2009 5:12 AM | Report abuse

I don't mean this in a bad way - but what percentage of feds are not in a liberal leave status EVERY day. For the folks that work for me, and for myself, most days all it takes is a phone call or an email first thing in the morning and I am on annual leave ( obviously subject to reasonable abuse limits). So a Fed Gov liberal leave is meaningless to me.

Posted by: MDScot | January 28, 2009 5:33 AM | Report abuse

Kudos to my Post carrier - my "hard copy" Post on my drive way as usual - if it is not there, then I WILL take leave !

Posted by: MDScot | January 28, 2009 5:38 AM | Report abuse

Thanks SO much, blasmaic, for that cheap partisan shot! God knows there's not enough of THAT on WaPo.com.

As I'm sure you're aware, OPM (under control control by EITHER party) won't make the call to shut down for much less than 8"-10" of snow, or ice even more paralyzing than the .1"-.2" that we have right now. We're lucky we got the unscheduled leave ruling today.

No free day-off for you today, unless you have leave to burn. Did you hope to curl up with your blankey at home and catch up on some reading? "The Audacity of Hope," or perhaps "Dreams of My Father?"

Posted by: VAStateOfMind | January 28, 2009 6:14 AM | Report abuse

@VaStateOfMind

Blankey? Blankets? So 1990's. Don't you know that everyone uses a snuggie nowadays?

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | January 28, 2009 6:59 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who has been out on the roads of CapWX gang, could you comment on the general status of the roads? Listening to the traffic people on the tv, it doesn't sound like there are too many acidents and not warning people not to go out? Are most side streets and mains roads drivable if careful? Bridges and overpasses?

Posted by: derrickd | January 28, 2009 7:04 AM | Report abuse

I just drove my wife to Dulles from Vienna. I am very impressed by the job VDOT did on the roads. I'm not the world's best winter driver, and I did not slide once, even though the 2ndary roads all look like a solid sheet of ice.

PS - I was driving a minivan.

Posted by: BidsKids | January 28, 2009 7:14 AM | Report abuse

Prince William County closed last night for today. Kids off second day in a row. As for "federal workers" I called in and I am blessed enough to work for a understanding boss. Enjoy your day!

Posted by: Familyman | January 28, 2009 7:36 AM | Report abuse

Most sidewalks also a sheet of ice - be VERY careful walking! Also saw some joggers out this morning - do these people know some balancing secret that they could teach the rest of us?

Posted by: Axel2 | January 28, 2009 7:42 AM | Report abuse

>>do these people know some balancing secret that they could teach the rest of us?

I just ordered a set of these:

Haven't gotten them yet. Could have used them last night while shoveling off my STEEP driveway...

Posted by: jimfergusonj | January 28, 2009 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Live in McLean, office is 1 mile from home, so have to go to work. (I know, 5 minute commute, I'm such a victim...) Thanks to VDOT the drive was easy. Roads wet, but not icy. The hairiest part was the walk from the front door to the car.

Second the kudos to the Post delivery guy. Got up at 6 AM and the paper was in front of the door.

Posted by: wiredog | January 28, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Nice coat of ice on sidewalks, driveways and cars in Maryland, real mess. OPM should've given feds an hour or two to deal with this mess- by then it would start melting but as of 8am its still nice and hard, pretty dangerous.

Posted by: washtimes3 | January 28, 2009 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Just curious, why is CAD a factor with this afternoon's changeover to rain?

Posted by: manassasmissy | January 28, 2009 8:15 AM | Report abuse

@manassasmissy

Cold air damming is ending, as the high pressure supplying the cold air has moved away. That should allow temps to gradually rise above freezing.

@To all

Be very careful on sidewalks. Extremely slick and difficult walking.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | January 28, 2009 8:18 AM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, I meant why ISN'T CAD a factor?

Posted by: manassasmissy | January 28, 2009 8:19 AM | Report abuse

That was the iciest trickiest walk to work I've had in 3 years - since the sleet storm of the century Valentines Day 2006. I live about two miles from my office (downtown Baltimore) in Federal Hill (South Baltimore) and all the streets are a mess. Fell four times in 45 minutes. Even the wide walkway around the harbor near Harborplace is one massive sheet of ice. Some of the major streets downtown (Calvert, Pratt, St. Paul) still have ice in between the lanes. Regardless its a lot worse than I expected it to be.

Posted by: nautachris23 | January 28, 2009 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Very icy on the side streets in my part of Ashburn. Watched a driver do a 360 trying to get out of our development. Be careful folks.

Only 51 days til spring.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | January 28, 2009 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Yes, I noticed on my drive through the District this morning that several people were walking on the treated roads instead of the untreated sidewalks. I wonder if this is equally dangerous though, especially in the darker early dawn hours! -Matt Rogers, Capital Weather Gang

Posted by: mrwx1 | January 28, 2009 8:37 AM | Report abuse

I came from Wheaton to downtown.

My bus fishtailed this morning on a main road....

Getting out TO said bus was interesting too (found it easier to just walk on what would normally be grass since there the ice at least had snow and grass under it instead of just the hard concrete), but aside from that it wasn't too, too bad getting in...Metro seemed to be running fairly normally (although I think my train was running slightly slower than usual last evening).

Posted by: forget@menot.com | January 28, 2009 8:42 AM | Report abuse

Luckily, I'm off today since I had to work the weekend. But I just went out and walked around to check out my car and parking lot, etc. Ended up helping 3 people cleaning off there cars, until my scraper snapped anyway. Theres a good .25 to .5 of an inch on top of the cars/untreated areas of the lots/sidewalks here in Columbia. One lady had been working on her car for a good half an hour. I do not envy anyone having to be out and about this morning, thats for sure. But if anyone wants to find an untreated parking lot and start up a hockey game, let me know.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 28, 2009 8:50 AM | Report abuse

Since I am the first naysayer on school closings, I will be the first to say they made the right call today. I had a lot of trouble getting out of suburban subdivision to the main road. Walking to work from the train was especially treacherous. I'm kind of surprised the Feds didn't at least do a delayed opening to give everyone some extra time.

Posted by: SouthsideFFX | January 28, 2009 8:55 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Jason. I guess if the high stayed in place it would've been more freezing rain instead of snow this afternoon anyway? On account of the warmer air aloft?

Posted by: manassasmissy | January 28, 2009 9:05 AM | Report abuse

That's right Missy. We have lots of warm air coming in aloft with the main low pressure still tracking to our west here. -Matt Rogers, CWG

Posted by: mrwx1 | January 28, 2009 9:12 AM | Report abuse

For what it's worth, I just drove from Clarendon to my gov't job in DC and it was the easiest drive I've ever had. The roads were totally fine. Sidewalks were another story.

Posted by: novajeffc | January 28, 2009 9:15 AM | Report abuse

So will DCPS's two hour delay be enough to allow teachers and parents to get in safely? Should they have closed?

Posted by: heatherdc1980 | January 28, 2009 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Jason.....why do you say that the CAD is ending? It is not showing any signs of it. NWS forecast the same thing last night (that the shallow cold air would erode), but they were wrong. We have NOT shown the slow trend to 32 and above....and a rain changeover, even in the SE suburbs. All of the stations around the area are still below freezing as of 9:30 this morning.

Yet the warmer air is definitely off to the far SE.....Norfolk, at the moment, is 48. But that high over New England is just too strong...and the CAD too entrenched. I don't think we are going to see rain....and melting.....at all in the DC area today. The low center too far away....still in TN, and it is now apparant that its warm sector just doesn't have the strength to push this cold air out at low levels here.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | January 28, 2009 9:35 AM | Report abuse

We had a storm like this in January 2004, a few inches of snow followed by a thick crust of ice. It was great for sledding on the side streets with the old metal runner sleds called the Flexible Flyer. I still have the one I owned as a kid plus I recently picked one up at a yard sale for $5. Of course, once the sand trucks come by it's history. Of course, gotta watch out for cars.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | January 28, 2009 9:37 AM | Report abuse

Ice on sidewalks and side streets was sure an issue this morning on my way into work. It took me a good long while to waddle down an alley to the bus that I can usually pass through in no time. At least there was no falling on my part. It looks like things are starting to get cleared here in Dupont Circle and the local thermo is reading 33, so hopefully the rest of the iciness will dwindle soon.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 28, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

Bad call, feds! I can't walk on my stairs or deck this morning. Can't wait to hear how many injuries there are.

Posted by: chunche | January 28, 2009 9:49 AM | Report abuse

One of the easiest commutes in years. I normally leave home in Centreville at 6:00 am to drive to Crystal City. I decided to wait for daylight and left home at 8:00 instead. Neighborhood was slick, but negotiable. Main roads were just wet. Traffic was unbelievably light. Made it to work in 40 minutes.

Posted by: NoVaSnow | January 28, 2009 9:52 AM | Report abuse

Ian.....I think that 33 at Dupont Circle may just be a very small urban heat island effect. There don't seem to be any other readings above freezing outside of city, even in the SE suburbs.

I hope I'm wrong...and the CAD does erode enough for some above-freezing temperatures to help clean this mess up, but right now, it doesn't look hipeful..

Posted by: MMCarhelp | January 28, 2009 10:00 AM | Report abuse

If weather goes as planned today - warming, melting... but cold again tonight, what are the chances for school tomorrow? Would it get as icy again overnight as it is now?

Posted by: someonelikeyou | January 28, 2009 10:08 AM | Report abuse

I live in Adams Morgan and the street in front of my building was untreated, as were the sidewalks. In trying to get around the corner onto a treated street I slipped and fell-the sidewalks are just sheer ice. It was nearly impossible to make it around the corner, especially because I had to walk uphill. I had to walk in the street to manage to get to a treated sidewalk to catch the bus. After stepping off the 42 bus onto the sidewalk at Q St in Dupont Circle, I immediately found myself on my butt. I had to walk in the treated street just to make it across the street to the treated sidewalk in front of the metro. It was certainly a difficult commute this morning.

Posted by: BruinGirl2001 | January 28, 2009 10:09 AM | Report abuse

You're probably right MMCarhelp, plus the reading I saw was on a bank that tends to be off sometimes. Temperatures do seem to be nudging toward freezing now though.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 28, 2009 10:38 AM | Report abuse

i don't like this recent forcast - with all that rain later. when is an update due (preferably w/o rain later, please)?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 28, 2009 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Hey Walter, outside of our current freezing drizzle, the latest thinking suggests that plain rain this afternoon should be brief and most likely mid to late afternoon with the primary cold front. -Matt Rogers, CWG

Posted by: mrwx1 | January 28, 2009 10:50 AM | Report abuse

Currently 30 degrees in Alexandria. I have an appointment in Old Town I absolutely must keep, although the timing is flexible. Originally I was going to stop by after work, but now that I am home I was planning on walking over whenever. Reading all the comments about icy sidewalks has me nervous. I am assuming commercial areas such as King Street will have cleared sidewalks. When would the best time to be out and about? Midday, I am assuming. Also, has anyone been walking around the Old Town area? How do the sidewalks look?

Posted by: Snowlover2 | January 28, 2009 10:57 AM | Report abuse

For those of you who have to walk...

My bus didn't show up. I walked a mile to the Vienna Metro..didn't lose balance once...20 bucks.

Posted by: SPS1 | January 28, 2009 11:00 AM | Report abuse

On my walking commute just now from Scott Circle to Georgetown, any sidewalk not in front of an office building was treacherous. I witnessed several people falling down in these areas.

Posted by: tj722 | January 28, 2009 11:01 AM | Report abuse

@BruinGirl2001-

It was the same in Woodley Park. Sidewalks and side roads were a mess - basically untreated. District law requires that property owners clear snow and ice from their walkways within 8 daylight hours of snow, sleet, or ice. It seems like some apartment building managers are waiting until the last minute...

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | January 28, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

is there any chance this will be like the valentines day storm a couple years ago, it was snow and sleet but it got warm that day but that night it got cold and everything was a big solid chunk of ice and schools were closed for a week? or will the snow and sleet evaporate?

Posted by: samdman95 | January 28, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Kevin, that storm in 2004 was unlike anything I'd ever seen! There was PLENTY of snow followed by a thick layer of ice. The whole district looked like one big gingerbread village covered liberally in an icing glaze. It was so cool to walk ON TOP OF the snow and watch it glisten in the sunlight!

I want another one of those again.

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | January 28, 2009 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, guys, but I don't see where all the rain the forecast is calling for will come from. All we've gotten in Vienna since about 7AM is a very light mist, and that ended about an hour ago. The radar shows clear skies from here on out.

Posted by: Claudius1 | January 28, 2009 11:14 AM | Report abuse

thanks mrwx1 - that's better.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 28, 2009 11:19 AM | Report abuse

so now it's getting real foggy, looking over the DC southwest waterfront.

Posted by: novajeffc | January 28, 2009 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Claudius1, take a look back toward OH/WV/KY area. There is another area of precip moving this direction.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 28, 2009 11:24 AM | Report abuse

@Claudius: Zoom the radar out and look at the front over West Virginia and Ohio.

@novajeffc: Maybe we'll get pogonip! It's a Shoshone word for freezing fog--we used to get it a lot in Nevada. It makes everything look really pretty! http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pogonip

Posted by: bjackrian | January 28, 2009 11:25 AM | Report abuse

its been misting here in madison all morning its 30' with a light wind the radar shows nota??

Posted by: deveinmadisonva | January 28, 2009 11:27 AM | Report abuse

People PLEASE completely remove all ice from your vehicles...roof, sides, hood, trunk, etc. I can't tell you how many sheets of ice I saw flying from cars and crashing into the street. Is there a law against driving unsafe vehicles? The government should consider pulling these people over before they cause a serious accident. That's my public service announcement of the day!

Posted by: schrute | January 28, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

So it doesn't look like we'll be seeing mid-40s today. Yesterday Bob Ryan said some areas could reach 50.

But no, CAD wins again. Big SURPRISE.

Posted by: HenryFPotter | January 28, 2009 11:38 AM | Report abuse

@ann-capitalweathergang
couldn't property owners claim this weather event is not over yet - that their 8hr clock hasn't started running. i mean if we're still getting rain/sleet/freezing rain etc...the storm's still happening, i guess.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 28, 2009 11:40 AM | Report abuse

NWS extended the winter storm warning to 6 pm.

Posted by: bjackrian | January 28, 2009 12:13 PM | Report abuse

With the cold air staying in place, maybe we can pick up another quick 1/2 inch to an inch when the front makes its way through...one can only hope! @capitalweathergang...any thoughts on the possible nor-easter in the works early next week? I know it is far out, but maybe the snow-gods are smiling upon us again!!

Posted by: alexandriaweatherfan | January 28, 2009 12:22 PM | Report abuse

The tree outside my apartment keeps getting whiter and whiter and sparklier and sparklier. There is this vague foggy opaqueness to the air that must be tiny frozen precip.

My husband said his drive to work (from one side of DC to the other) was just wet.

So. IS CAD winning out or are we still expecting this to turn into rain? We're already at least 3.5 hours behind schedule.

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | January 28, 2009 12:24 PM | Report abuse

The temperature has finally reached 32F at Dulles and we're just shy at National with 31F...all areas should reach above freezing in the next hour or two here.

Regarding next week's storm, the latest long range guidance is looking interesting for a Tue-Wed threat again, but this one may struggle to have as much cold air available. It's a long way out yet so plenty can change. Could we get an exact storm repeat the day after Groundhog Day? Would be funny. -Matt Rogers, CWG

Posted by: mrwx1 | January 28, 2009 12:29 PM | Report abuse

blasmic:

Bush was from Texas. You really think Obama from Chicago is going to be more likely to give federal workers a snow break? He was on the radio this morning, commenting that Washingtonians need to toughen up, and that his daughter said in Chicago, not only would they go to school in this weather, they'd go outside for recess.

Granted he said it in a joking manner, but nonetheless.... :)

Posted by: jahutch | January 28, 2009 12:30 PM | Report abuse

What the heck????

Just got back in from chipping the driveway, steps, and sidewalk out of their respective ice blocks and I log on to find out we'll struggle to get above freezing if at all. What happened to the upper 30's to around 40 today????

This is why I hate winter.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | January 28, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Is there any chance we get some backend snow with this system? There's a pretty good batch of moister making its way our direction from West Virginia and Ohio.

Posted by: snowedin1985 | January 28, 2009 12:43 PM | Report abuse

NWS now (finally) admitting the obvious....they blew it on the rain/warming forecast today. Winter Storm Warning now extended to 6 PM for most of the area. The CAD is extremely strong, and locked firmly in place all over the Metro area, although the warm air did make it down to the surface in the usual S-shaped pattern from WV south of us and up the Eastern Shore.....Salisbury is in the mid-50s now.

I'm not necessarily going to toss any stones at NWS or the Capital Weather gang....CAD and warm advection is always a tough forecast in this area (I acknowledge that). But the freezing rain-to-rain forecast today, for the metro area, was clearly a major error. The system is going to occlude to the west of us, and the warm air is not going to make down to the surface here. The cold front will likely turn out to be an occluded front.....probably with a line of showers from the warm air aloft falling through the trapped cold air here for a final round of freezing or near-freezing rain before the wind comes around to the West.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | January 28, 2009 1:02 PM | Report abuse

Obama was right on this morning. This region is a joke when it comes to snow and ice!

Posted by: dcwarren | January 28, 2009 1:04 PM | Report abuse

I really do not understand the WSW at all... why did they just put it out today when the precip is over? Is it because of the possible refreezing tonight?

Posted by: wecndo | January 28, 2009 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Anyone care to take a stab at school openings tomorrow? I say Fairfax County 2 hours late.

Posted by: mchristinaw | January 28, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

dcwarren:

Tell that to the family of the person who died on the icy road yesterday. I'm sorry to hear you and Obama put toughness ahead of safety on your priority scales.

Posted by: schrute | January 28, 2009 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I'd say 2 hour delay. It's bad on sidewalks everywhere and some side streets but I don't think schools want yet another snow day used up. Moco only has 1 left so I think it'll be 2 hour delay.

Posted by: PeterBethesda | January 28, 2009 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Ha, easy for him to say - his daughters get to ride to school in a bullet proof Hummer, not a public school bus with no seat belts!

Posted by: Axel2 | January 28, 2009 1:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing MoCo goes in two hours late tomorrow. Don't want to burn another snow day, especially if there is something headed toward us next week.

Posted by: meredithand | January 28, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

@walter-in-fallschurch-

I've been wondering the same thing, but don't yet have an answer...If winter precip. lasts for two days, exactly when should a property owner clear walkways? Obviously, the sooner the better. But, this storm was tricky because temps were expected to go above freezing fairly quickly today, and it's easier to just wait for melting instead of getting out the shovels and salt in the wee hours of the morning.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | January 28, 2009 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Can someone speak to when reicing will start here in dc tonight? Will the evening commute be okay?

Posted by: heatherdc1980 | January 28, 2009 1:52 PM | Report abuse

Looks like a pretty nice slug of precip moving toward DC from the west with the front. Any chance the cold air catches up and gives us a shot of snow this evening?

Posted by: gfp76 | January 28, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Freezing rain falling in Ashburn. Temp. 30 here at home.

Will this storm just get out of here already?

Posted by: ThinkSpring | January 28, 2009 2:07 PM | Report abuse

@ann-capitalweathergang
also, it is often MUCH easier to clear the sidewalks if you just let everything fall, then clear them. e.g., during this storm, things that were cleared after the snow yesterday now have a coating of just ice on them. parts that were not cleared have snow under the ice and are much easier to clean.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 28, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

GFP76, it's very rare to turn back to snow around here as the main precipitation departs with the cold front and subsequent sinking air from the west tends to diminish our chances. I see some spots in western West Virginia have turned back to snow there before ending. Can't rule it out, but believe the risk is really low. Matt Rogers, CWG.

Posted by: mrwx1 | January 28, 2009 2:23 PM | Report abuse

It's getting really dark out there. Wunderground says it's exactly 32 right now. I wonder what kind of precip will fall. When the temp is right at 32, is it pretty much anyone's guess?

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | January 28, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Radar is showing a heavy snow band about to push through. We just had a hellacious gust of wind too. Sounded like the world was ending with the woods behind us (with all the ice crashing down onto the icy ground below).

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | January 28, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

Hi Laurain. It'll be just rain at this point given the warm air aloft and really just above the surface now. Matt Rogers, CWG

Posted by: mrwx1 | January 28, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

why is the map on "regional radar loop" on the "weather wall" crooked? the east-west line representing the north edge of maryland is sloped...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | January 28, 2009 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Any thoughts about the GFS for early next week?

Posted by: worldtraveler | January 28, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Raining here in Columbia - my dogs went out only to wait at the door to come back in. They've enjoyed the ice, and I've enjoyed watching them! I too am wondering when to clear the sidewalk, as I am right next to a school. If I do it now, it will probably just freeze, so I guess I wait until all precip stops?

Posted by: koofie | January 28, 2009 2:50 PM | Report abuse

worldtraveler

this is per the HPC. still days away but this will likely be a non event in regards to snow/ice.

THE PRESENT FORECAST TRACK WOULD SUPPORT