The new Washington
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:30 AM ET, 01/28/2009

Iwo Jima in the Snow

By Kevin Ambrose

* Winter Storm Warning Extended Until 6 PM: Our Full Forecast *

iwo2_web.jpg
The Marine Corps Memorial during a lull in the storm Tuesday afternoon.

I was scheduled to pick up family at Reagan National Airport at 3 p.m. yesterday. I figured it was a good opportunity to photograph the Marine Corps Memorial in the snow since it was on the way to the airport. I also thought I'd check the snow depth at the airport, to see if it really matched their official reported total. National has been notorious for reporting low snowfall totals.

Keep reading for more photos and to find out how my trip turned out...

iwo1_web.jpg
A closeup of the Marine Corps Memorial Tuesday afternoon.

Everything worked out nicely during the trip. There was a lull in the storm as I drove east on I-66, the traffic was light, and I got an opportunity to photograph from the Netherlands Carillon and the Marine Corps Memorial with some snow on the ground and no tourists.

Regarding National Airport's snowfall for the day, it appeared there was between 1.5 and 2" on the ground. After I arrived back home, I noticed National's official reported total was 1.9". So, based on my observations, their totals look OK. We had a bit more snow in the western suburbs where I live, but only an inch or so more.

washingtonsnow_web.jpg
A lone jogger runs past the Netherlands Carillon.

By Kevin Ambrose  | January 28, 2009; 11:30 AM ET
Categories:  Photography
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Struggling Toward 32°, Refreeze Tonight
Next: PM Update: Showers Then Overnight Refreeze

Comments

Thank you, President Obama, for pointing out how wimpy this region is when it comes to weather:

"Because of what? Because of some ice?" Obama said to laughter around the table. He said Sasha, his 7-year-old, pointed out that in Chicago, not only is school never canceled for snow, "you'd go outside for recess. You wouldn't even stay indoors."

He concluded by saying: "We're going to have to apply some flinty Chicago toughness to this town. I'm saying that when it comes to the weather, folks in Washington don't seem to be able to handle things."

Posted by: dcwarren | January 28, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

I live near Reagan National in Alexandria, and I can tell you that i find their snow totals to match very closely to what we get at our house.

Posted by: RMVA | January 28, 2009 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Very icy this morning, but I was able to get to the Safeway and back without a spill.

The President's comments probably won't change any Federal standards on office shutdowns. Federal offices will close whenever EIGHT INCHES of snow or sustained winds of 40+ mph [tropical storm strength] occurs, simply because THAT IS THE POINT AT WHICH METRO WILL SHUT DOWN ITS ABOVE-GROUND RAIL LINES. No Metro, no normal business hours; it's as simple as that!!!

When is the last time we had eight or more inches of snow that didn't occur on a weekend??? [I believe it was the 1996 and 2003 storms, but even those two were most intense on Saturday and/or Sunday if memory serves me right!]

Posted by: Bombo47jea | January 28, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Is is possible to post yesterday's snow totals around the area. There used to be the ability to post our own totals..

Posted by: ZmanVA | January 28, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

West Springfield (Accotink Lk/Mixing Bowl) = 2.9" snow + sleet + ice...

Slick 'n' nasty.

Posted by: bikerjohn | January 28, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Its getting dark early.... looks like about 4:45pm outside!

Posted by: AnneinSand | January 28, 2009 2:18 PM | Report abuse

RMVA, I have found that National Airport's snowfall reports have been very good for the past few years. Before that, they were questionable.

Bombo47jea, don't forget the January 25, 2000 storm. I believe that was a weekday event and quite a surprise storm.

ZmanVA, we have recently discussed adding the snowfall total posting. Stay tuned for more information.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | January 28, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

This is irrelevant, but anyone look at the current observations in the Richmond area?

It's 33 out toward Short Pump (western suburbs at the intersection of 295 & 64), but at the airport on the east side, its 61! 28 degree difference in 20 miles.

Posted by: nautachris23 | January 28, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

nautachris23, it's easy to see where the warm front is located. Here's another view:

I have several friends in Richmond and there has been a joke about Richmond having a snow shield in place. They have missed most snowstorms since February of 2003.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | January 28, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

IS THERE ANY CHANCE OF A MOCO CLOSDING TOMORROW? ANY CHANCE AT ALL?

Posted by: hoyafan516 | January 28, 2009 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Any chance that MoCo schools will be delayed tomorrow morning?

Posted by: jpb0325 | January 28, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Kudos to the President - I didn't vote for him but I must say he says it loud and clear. In a time of war and poor economy the sense of entitlement to a snow day is disappointing. The nation needs us at work and students learning.

Posted by: shackleton | January 28, 2009 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Its not like the entire United States had a snow day... be reasonable.

I mean it is dangerous in suburban areas, and with people being the wusses that they are today, there would be sooo many lawsuits if any child got hurt. (Not saying that people should be going to school in an ice storm, but this weather would not have even warranted a delay in other parts of the country.)

Posted by: wecndo | January 28, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

33 it's not here in Short Pump... I live about 1.5 miles north of the mall and it's easily in the 40s. Not 60, but warm enough that everything has melted rapidly, even on exposed surfaces (porch roofs, cars, etc.)

Posted by: Registration1982 | January 28, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Re: presidential snow day concerns.

I would like to point out that the roads in DC were fairly clear and easy to maneuver by a reasonable hour this morning. AND DC public school opened today. Late, but they were open. Now the Obama's go to a private school. I fully support the concept of private school and, should I ever have children, would consider it for my kids. However they do have a bit of a reputation for coddling the little ones a bit. This is a good example. If the Obama's were enrolled in public school, they wouldn't have had the day off.

Posted by: AnneinSand | January 28, 2009 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Nice shots Kevin, I especially like the last with the jogger.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | January 28, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse