The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:10 AM ET, 01/16/2009

'My Face Hurts It's So Cold'

By Mike McPhate

* Bitter Chill Now, Sunday Snow? Full Forecast | Inauguration Forecast *

It case you hadn't noticed, it's really cold outside. Local Twitter users are chronicling the scene, and most don't seem too thrilled. At least a couple of people stayed home from work, while several are complaining about body parts in pain.

Keep reading for some of the more apt descriptions...

Fedward in D.C.: At the risk of repeating every person from the Mid-Atlantic and all points north: OMG it's cold.

AndreaGenevieve in D.C.: MY FACE HURTS its so cold outside

pofr in D.C.: thinks the office should close for cold weather

mikemadden in D.C.: If it's going to be this cold in the winter, I think we should, as compensation, get lower humidity in the summer. Only fair.

kikiverde in Howard County: Wanted to run a couple of errands today but it's too cold to go out.

mollytics in D.C.: I might be the only person in DC who likes this cold weather. What's wrong with me?

Phofuki in Clarksburg: It's so cold out the condensation on my energy efficient windows has created icicles :)

See the latest local Twitter posts on the cold.

By Mike McPhate  | January 16, 2009; 11:10 AM ET
Categories:  Extreme Cold, Local Climate
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Washington Whipped by Near-Zero Chill
Next: Sunday Night Snow Scenario

Comments

I think this is part of DC's plan to keep Virginians from getting to the inauguration. The engineered cold is an assault on the freedom of everyone in the region.

I am shocked and appalled.

Posted by: jcovey | January 16, 2009 11:43 AM | Report abuse

People need to suck it up. Too cold to go out and run errands? The terrorists have already won.

Posted by: chris_soule | January 16, 2009 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Some people will never learn; you can't say your face hurts without giving some jackass license to say "It hurts you? It's killing me!"

Posted by: DonWhiteside | January 16, 2009 11:59 AM | Report abuse

Last night, I flew back to DC from Phoenix via Chicago. When I left Phoenix, it was 70 degrees. When we landed at O'Hare, it was 5 below zero. Even inside the airport it was ridiculously cold...with all the glass, almost impossible to heat it under those circumstances. Not the best energy efficiency planning, IMO.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | January 16, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

I bundled up and biked to work. Extreme commuting!

Posted by: ksbarker3064 | January 16, 2009 12:20 PM | Report abuse

I bicycled into work also - my commute is 16 1/2 miles each way (Alexandria to DC). I wore a North Face parka, and boots that are good for -50. :) Charmaine

Posted by: cruppolt | January 16, 2009 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Hats off Charmaine. I chickened out.

Posted by: mmurphy70 | January 16, 2009 1:29 PM | Report abuse