The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:30 PM ET, 01/30/2009

PM Update: A Few Snow Showers, Then Cold

By Ian Livingston

Chilly and breezy overnight into Saturday

* Next Week: Big Snow? | Grading Our Inauguration Forecast *

Another day with some sunshine has helped melt more of the snow and ice that fell across the area earlier in the week. Highs have reached within a few degrees of 40 this afternoon ahead of a cold front now passing through the area. Some isolated snow showers are possible for the remainder of the afternoon, though many will not see them, and the best chances will be north of the area.

Temperatures: Current area temperatures. Powered by Weather Bonk. Map by Google. Hover over and click icons for more info. Click and hold on map to pan. Refresh page to update. See map bigger on our Weather Wall.

Tonight: Behind a cold front a new, but short-lived, shot of cold air will arrive and last through tomorrow night. Breezy northwest winds will combine with clearing skies to help temperatures tumble to the upper teens in the northwest suburbs and low 20s elsewhere. Bundle up if headed out tonight!

Tomorrow (Saturday): This weekend will be half cold and half mild -- Saturday will be the cold day. Even under mostly sunny skies, we will only see temperatures rise into the low-to-mid 30s during the day while winds continue to blow around 10 mph from the northwest.

See Camden Walker's forecast through early next week. What about next week's storm? Check the Snow Lover's Crystal Ball for our latest thoughts.

By Ian Livingston  | January 30, 2009; 3:30 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Next Week's Storm: Big Snow or Big Bust?
Next: Forecast: From Cold to Mild to ... ???

Comments

Everyone is so exited for this storm mon-tues. How is it looking now? Is it going to be snow?

Posted by: hoyafan516 | January 30, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

too far away to tell. ask on Sunday night after the superbowl. the models should be on-par by then

Posted by: danuva | January 30, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Thanks. It's definitely too hard to tell.

Posted by: hoyafan516 | January 30, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Happy birthday, hoyafan...right?

Posted by: meta2 | January 30, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

haha thanks. yep. finally old enough. But lets get back to the storm.

Posted by: hoyafan516 | January 30, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Margusity (for what his pre-storm analysis is worth) seems confident that the storm center will stay close enough to the I-95 corridor so as to shove the heavy snow far to our west.

I'm praying this sucker'll just scoot 200 miles east.

Posted by: wecndo | January 30, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

*****SNOWFLAKE GREG (RAINMAN) UPDATE*****

Capital Weather Gang Fans -

It is guaranteed to be a storm of epic proportions with wind driven SNOW Monday Night and Tuesday. Why....because I will be out of town on business. Mark my words.....it will snow and I will be bitter and angry as I read the CWG posts while attending this out of town conference.

Snowflake (RAINMAN) Greg

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | January 30, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

it's funny that margusity says that. he is just relying solely on the track that gives state college the most snow (where he is). he seems to predict what he *wants* to happen, rather than what will actually happen. Even as an overhyper myself, it's hard to take anything he says seriously.. right now at least.

Posted by: danuva | January 30, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Henry is just bitter because per some models runs, State College would see little snow. They are trying everything they can at Accuweather to get "big Daddy" in State college. Now, They are stairing a MAJOR BUST right in the face. IF the current trends continues. There new website should be hypecity.com! LOL. This is the first time I have said this all year, HOPE FOR A WEST TREND!

Posted by: clintonportis17 | January 30, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Anyone one want to take a stab at what is going to happen and how much snow the area will see out of this storm if any?

Posted by: snowlover | January 30, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

WOW!!!!!!! Someone should really see Henry's latest post! He's loosing it!

Posted by: clintonportis17 | January 30, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

snowlover

Man thats a hard question lol! Given the winter trends, some would think the storm would come back west a bit, but with this kinda storm I don't know if "trends" apply to it. I'm going with 2-4, and 5-8 to fall back on if I'm wrong with the 2-4.

Posted by: clintonportis17 | January 30, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Man I hope this thing tracks just right to bring us mostly snow. I am not sure cuz I am not a model reader, but is there any chance of this being an all snow event? I would think not since temps are going to be in th 40s when this thing arrives. Hopefully the track is east enough to pull in that cold air!

Posted by: snowlover | January 30, 2009 6:56 PM | Report abuse

Some of the charts have this storm moving VERY RAPIDLY up the coast and well north of us by 12Z Tuesday.

Please remember that the faster the system moves, the less rain/snow we get. If it's well north of us late Tuesday, everything's over but the bitter northwest wind!

Thus it could hardly be a "Knickerbocker", but still could give us a respectable dose of precipitation.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | January 30, 2009 7:23 PM | Report abuse

@clintonportis17

You might say he's gone loopy.

Posted by: bdeco | January 30, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Just came from Topper Shutt's chat. The word seems to be more on the snow side right now. Maybe wearing pajamas inside out starting tonight?

Posted by: dixiechick1 | January 30, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

Bombo47jea

I think all the weather junkies out there should be conserned about a major bust. If indeed that is the case, I would not be surprised b.c nothing has gone right all winter long.

Posted by: clintonportis17 | January 30, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

One thing is for sure, somebody, somewhere is going to get absolutely bombed with this storm. Just hope it's us...

Posted by: bodyiq | January 30, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

IT WILL BE US!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: snowlover | January 30, 2009 8:17 PM | Report abuse

Just got off the phone with my mom in Fl. This surprised me. She was calling to see my thoughts on possible interruptions of my travel plans for next Wednesday. She heard mention on the news that we may be getting a big snow storm this week. ?!?! This is being mentioned outside the area already? This early on? (and yes, weather geekery is genetic. We had a lovely chat about interpreting models)

Posted by: Snowlover2 | January 30, 2009 8:25 PM | Report abuse

dixiechick1
If it makes you happy then go for it :) Can't hurt our chances lol

Posted by: clintonportis17 | January 30, 2009 8:26 PM | Report abuse

danuva - you could not be more SPOT-ON with your assessment of Henry Margusity, and by extension, SemiAccuWeather.com!!

Posted by: VAStateOfMind | January 30, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

well i spent hours trying to get my 79 artic cat lynx started so i got it going bring on the snow i cant wait to ride it

Posted by: deveinmadisonva | January 30, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

00z run is coming in and it looks like quite a similar track to the 18z, which would not provide much snow for DC a little more for me (Short Pump, VA), but certainly not the "Big Daddy" of the winter...

Posted by: Registration1982 | January 30, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I will say, however, the current run seems a little nutty. This storm goes from forming near Houston/Galveston and treks SE almost all the way to Tampa Bay before turning Northeastward and ending up 150 miles off Delmarva?

Posted by: Registration1982 | January 30, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse