The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:20 PM ET, 01/15/2009

PM Update: Extreme Cold Arrives

By Jason Samenow

Coldest air in about a decade; slow weekend warming

Wind Chill Advisory 4 a.m. to 12 p.m. Friday for D.C. and Points N&W
Report Homeless Persons at Risk for Hypothermia: 1-800-535-7252

* How to Stay Safe & Warm | Latest Inauguration Forecast *

The long-advertised bitter cold air is streaming into the region as we speak. After maxing out in the mid-to-upper 20s earlier today, temperatures will fall into the teens and low 20s early this evening. Winds from the northwest at 10-20 mph will make it feel like single digits as darkness settles in.

Temperatures: Current area temperatures. Powered by Weather Bonk. Map by Google. Hover over and click icons for more info. Click and hold on map to pan. Refresh page to update. See map bigger on our Weather Wall.

Tonight: Under mostly clear skies, temperatures will drop down to the low teens in the District, with high single digits in the suburbs. Factoring in the 10 mph wind, it will feel near zero at times.

Tomorrow: With the heart of the Arctic airmass overhead, temperatures will have a hard time reaching even 20 degrees. Fortunately, winds won't be brutal (about 10-15 mph), but with temperatures this cold just a little wind will make it feel very unpleasant.

Tomorrow Night: Most areas will plunge into the single digits, with some of the outlying areas, especially toward the mountains, flirting with zero.

Think It's Cold Here?: Don't say that to folks living in parts of northern Minnesota, where temperatures dropped to around 40 below zero yesterday morning.

See Josh Larson's forecast through inauguration weekend.

By Jason Samenow  | January 15, 2009; 5:20 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: How to Stay Safe and Warm in Extreme Cold
Next: Inauguration Weather Forecast: Count on Cold

Comments

NWS is giving Centreville,VA 40% chance of snow Sunday and Sunday night!

Posted by: mchristinaw | January 15, 2009 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Heres the 18z at 06z Monday... Shows a little snow http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/18/images/gfs_pcp_084l.gif this probably will change 20 more times

Posted by: Snowman_In_Herndon | January 15, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Bring on that sweet, booger-freezing cold air! Love it!

Posted by: dcwarren | January 15, 2009 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Global warming, global warming, my _ss is freezing.

Posted by: brendy1 | January 15, 2009 7:06 PM | Report abuse

My Wxbug station is reporting 14.5 already! I wouldn't be surprised if we hit 5ish tonight.

Posted by: Snowman_In_Herndon | January 15, 2009 7:33 PM | Report abuse

idont know much about this storm but accuweather seems to be very confident that there will be some snow on the ground monday morning.

dont get to hype about this though accuweather allways hype things up..
im not sure

Posted by: redskinsfan01 | January 15, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

yeah, I find it very funny about the amount of confidence in accuweather and the one lady in particular who is doing those videos. They have been pushing the idea of snow in D.C since late last week. IMO I believe most mets agree that its a long shot that will have anything more then a dusting on the ground by monday. I mean calm on!! this is D.C were talking about! it never snows in D.C lol.

Posted by: clintonportis17 | January 15, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Current temp. in Burke: 21.9. It's too cold to go outside and check the conditions right now!

Brrrrrr!!! I hope it snows this weekend. I'm a little skeptical though.

Posted by: Yellowboy | January 15, 2009 8:44 PM | Report abuse

Will it be cold enough for a delay in PG?

Posted by: edwardappleby | January 15, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

Been awhile since I've seen a global warming article on here, weird how the temperatures seem to dictate those pieces.

Posted by: TheMot | January 15, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

I seem to recall a few years back that schools in Prince William were delayed/cancelled due to excessive wind chill. Anybody want to venture a guess about our chances tomorrow?

Posted by: chrissie413 | January 15, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Chrissie: They closed school 2 years ago due to wind chill, and delayed school 2 hours on Inauguration Day 2005, actually. I remember both days well (haha). But, I doubt we'll have a delay/closure tomorrow... we high school students have an exam. We could get a blizzard and they'd make us go just because of the exam. :P

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | January 15, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

@TheMot: CWG has stated that Andrew Freedman, author of the environmental posts, is in Australia. He will resume writing when he returns, which if I recall, is later this month. The presence or absence of Andrew's posts is not based on the local temperature.

Posted by: --sg | January 15, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Down to 12.9 here (Weatherbug) Although NWS says it's 17 (IAD).

Posted by: Snowman_In_Herndon | January 15, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post, but I forgot to post temp.

15.2 in Lake Ridge according to weatherbug. Thermometer says 19.6, but it's hugging the house and is usually 2-3 degrees off.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | January 15, 2009 9:42 PM | Report abuse

17 here in Old Town, Alexandria. That's according to weather bug, and is probably about right. I wouldn't know for sure, because I'm not going outside. I refuse.
Anyone with surplus cash in this economy? If so, maybe you could up the ante in the bribe amount for the CWG. I really would like us to have a measurable snowfall this winter.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | January 15, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Pretty chilly here in Manassas. The cold even brought in an extra feral black cat to the garage tonight...She looks to be with child, perhaps. Could be a rerun of the summer-pregnant-feral-cat-in-the-garage drama. After we finally got those kittens adopted out, mom adopted us, along with some other random stray black kitten. So tonight there are three "warmer than the average" black feral cats in the garage. Hope everyone has their pets in from the cold. And yes, I concur that someone should add on to the snow bribe to CWG.

Posted by: manassasmissy | January 15, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

Culpeper County schools will open 2 hours late tomorrow.

Posted by: clintonportis17 | January 16, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

People here are such wimps. I'm sorry but 19 degrees isn't really that cold. I remember during my high school days, when the temps were below 0 for a high. Now that's cold! You can't even write outside when it's that cold because if you do, your pen will crack. When you're wearing jeans in those temps, it'll take about 5 minutes before you feel your legs freezing up. If you were to spit, your spit would turn to ice before it hit the ground. It's amazing how this area acts at the slightest mention of cold weather or snow.

Posted by: Thundershock | January 16, 2009 12:26 AM | Report abuse

Regardless of location, I'm sure the next 59 degree day we get during winter will provide a post on global warming. This of course despite the fact that the ice levels remaining the same and cold temperature records being broken globally. I, and many others on this site are sick of the posts, and I must say it has been nice to actually get back to the old school CW before the majority of you knew it. Simply talking about weather, whats ahead and how difficult the weather in this area is to predict. Now the scapegoat is GW; getting pretty hackneyed.

Posted by: TheMot | January 16, 2009 2:37 AM | Report abuse

TheMot said:
"Regardless of location, I'm sure the next 59 degree day we get during winter will provide a post on global warming. "

You mean like how everytime we get a cold day, someone has to post about how global warming isn't happening?

Oh, the irony can sometimes be very thick.

Posted by: jbroon | January 16, 2009 6:09 AM | Report abuse