The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:45 PM ET, 01/16/2009

PM Update: Frigid Friday Night

By Jason Samenow

Single digits area-wide; Sunday night snow?

Report Homeless Persons at Risk for Hypothermia: 1-800-535-7252

* Sunday Night Snow Scenario | How to Stay Safe & Warm | 'My Face Hurts It's So Cold!' | Latest Inauguration Forecast *

If it's any consolation, the worst of the cold is out of here in less than 24 hours. Temperatures today only reached the mid-to-upper teens across the region. At Reagan National Airport, the (unofficial) high was 18, the coldest maximum temperature since Feb. 4, 1996 (when the high was 17). Lows this morning were between 8 and 11 at the area airports (but well above records for the date). As we head into evening, temperatures fall back into the low teens with clear skies.

Temperatures: Current area temperatures. Powered by Weather Bonk. Map by Google. Hover over and click icons for more info. Click and hold on map to pan. Refresh page to update. See map bigger on our Weather Wall.

Tonight: Clear skies and light winds will allow temperatures to dip into the single digits across the region. Inside the Beltway (including the District) and in the south and east suburbs (e.g. Woodbridge, Va. and Bowie, Md.), lows should range from 4-8 degrees. North and west of the Beltway (e.g. Oakton, Va. and Germantown, Md.), lows should drop to 1-5 degrees. Yes, pretty ridiculous cold.

Tomorrow (Saturday): After the single-digit start, we "warm" back up through the teens to around 20 by noon, under mostly sunny skies. As a light wind from the south kicks in, afternoon highs should reach the mid 20s; still cold, but better than today's teens.

Wild Weather in Alaska: At the beginning of the week, temperatures in interior portions of Alaska were around 50 below zero. Yesterday, many areas reached record highs in the 40s and 50s -- a 100-degree swing, and significantly warmer than the weather here! See this Public Information Statement from the Fairbanks National Weather Service. (Hat tip, Charlie Wilson, Pod Weather)

Wild Weatherman: AccuWeather followers may have noticed the disappearance of crazy Jim Kosek's video forecasts for the area. If you'd like Jim back, check out the video We Miss Jim Kosek in DC (viewer tip: turn down the volume) and follow the instructions...

See Camden Walker's forecast through the inauguration as well as our Sunday Night Snow Scenario.

By Jason Samenow  | January 16, 2009; 5:45 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sunday Night Snow Scenario
Next: Inauguration Weather Forecast: Freezing Cold

Comments

So how cold does it get at DCA, IAD, and BWI tonight?

I'll get things started: DCA 6, IAD 4, BWI 4

BWI 05
IAD 03
This morning I was 2.3....hoping for sub-zero

Posted by: MikefromtheBlueRIdge | January 16, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

DCA 9, IAD 1, BWI 4.

Posted by: VaTechBob | January 16, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Today's high in silver spring was 15. At 12:01am! During this afternoon, we only hit 13.9F... for one moment! wow.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | January 16, 2009 5:34 PM | Report abuse

DCA 8, BWI 4, IAD 1

Posted by: jfva | January 16, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

DCA 7
BWI 3
IAD 0

Posted by: bjackrian | January 16, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

I appreciate knowing what is happening in other areas, but I would like to know the forecast for my hometown San Diego. My banana tree is flowering, should I throw a tarp over it?

Posted by: martiniano | January 16, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

I see the snowlover's crystal ball is out and the highest probability is a dusting to an inch, but lets say the most snowiest occurs, what is the top end of the range we could be looking at in the DC area? Thanks! Please say 6" puls.......please!

Posted by: snowlover | January 16, 2009 6:00 PM | Report abuse

OK, I'm here I'll play:

DCA 8
BWI 5
IAD 6

SAN 51

Posted by: martiniano | January 16, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Sorry as you can see from my many spelling mistakes that I am a bit excited with the potential for snow!

Posted by: snowlover | January 16, 2009 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Can someone tell my why humans live in such weather? You'll say "I love the seasons" so I say "then visit the seasons" and you might say "I love snow" and I'd say "then visit snow". But why wouldn't you live where your bones are always warm. Not hot. Warm and never, ever cold unless you wish to be cold. What do you do on these days? And I mean what do you REALLY do, not what you want to do (Read a book, write a book, crochet, pratice my swing). I suspect you watch TV instead of taking the dog to the dog park or chasing down a great photograph in the countryside.

What do you do in such weather and why do you choose to live in inhumane weather? Sincere question.

Posted by: martiniano | January 16, 2009 6:23 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one here that will mention that global warming is hoax brought onto you by looney liberals trying to control your lives?

Posted by: charlietuna666 | January 16, 2009 6:44 PM | Report abuse

8 degrees at 7 pm. Well on the way to zero!

Coldest in many years without snow cover.

Might we have snow cover by Monday?? 50/50

The remainder of this month looks to be mostly below normal, but possibly a brief thaw.

Posted by: AugustaJim | January 16, 2009 7:05 PM | Report abuse

Martiniano, your question would be better suited for a Minneapolis weather blog, this is not typical DC winter weather. Heck, I put my Christmas lights out a few weeks ago in shorts. However, the easy answer to your question is that people learn to dress for the weather conditions. I once met a runner who lived well north of Minneapolis and she ran every day during the winter months, in weather much colder than what we saw today. She learned what to wear to stay warm. Try running in Miami, FL during August, you cannot find what to wear to stay cool. ;)

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | January 16, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

It's 12 degrees at 7pm in Oakton, if only we had some snow cover to help the temperature really drop tonight.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | January 16, 2009 7:28 PM | Report abuse

GLOBAL WARMING ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

GLOBAL WARMING ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

GLOBAL WARMING ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

GLOBAL WARMING ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

GLOBAL WARMING ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

GLOBAL WARMING ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

GLOBAL WARMING ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

GLOBAL WARMING ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

GLOBAL WARMING ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

GLOBAL WARMING ! ! ! ! ! ! ! !

Posted by: ObamaBiden | January 16, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

My guesses:

DCA = 5
IAD = 1
BWI = 2

Low was 8.3 this morning...high was 16 around midnight. Temps were around 14-15 most of the day...and have been dropping like a rock since sunset.

I'm talking to my friend in California, and he's laughing at me because we're so cold. He said it's 60 there...as I told him it's 10.4 here. It pretty much summed it up when he legitimately asked me what a parka is. HAHA! We truly live in what I believe to be the most versatile weather area in the country. We get cold snaps, heat waves, blizzards (used to), hurricanes, tornadoes...everything!

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | January 16, 2009 8:05 PM | Report abuse

predictions:
DCA: 7F
IAD: 3F
BWI: 5F

current observations:
2.1F in eastern Warren Co., elev 1900ft

Posted by: spgass1 | January 16, 2009 8:24 PM | Report abuse

I predict 12 for National. Dulles and BWI should make it to 7 or 8. Remember, there is no snow cover, so temperatures won't plummet. Current reading SW of Front Royal: 9.

Posted by: eric654 | January 16, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Here are mine...

DCA = 9
BWI = 7
IAD = 3

Posted by: Josh-CapitalWeatherGang | January 16, 2009 9:05 PM | Report abuse

Current reading E of Front Royal: 1.9F

Posted by: spgass1 | January 16, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

Last check... 8.7 degrees with -4 wind chill.

Home thermometer reads 14.4

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | January 16, 2009 10:38 PM | Report abuse

charlietuna666:

I'm always intrigued by those who insist on bringing up global warming when it's cold, as if it's some sort of "gotcha".

Is this supposed to be proof that global warming doesn't exist? Do you actually believe that if global warming were occurring, you would never, ever be cold again for the rest of your life?

Posted by: jtw_alexandria | January 16, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I am impressed (by that 1038mb high). Currently -3 here (same as the dew point). Perhaps about 65 by the wood stove, 48 farthest away from the stove and 37 in the crawl space. I suppose it's too late to redo my predictions.

Posted by: eric654 | January 17, 2009 4:29 AM | Report abuse