The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:15 PM ET, 01/21/2009

PM Update: A Welcome Warming to Begin

By Capital Weather Gang

Cooling down again during the weekend

* How Warm/Cool Was '08? | Inauguration: A Struggle to Stay Warm *

Abundant sunshine was no match for the Arctic air over the region today, with temperatures only rising to around freezing. Today marks the ninth straight day Reagan National Airport has failed to reach 40 degrees. But there's a decent chance it will be the last in the streak. Tomorrow, 40 will be within reach, and Friday some spots may make a run at the upper 40s to near 50.

Temperatures: Current area temperatures. Powered by Weather Bonk. Map by Google. Hover over and click icons for more info. Click and hold on map to pan. Refresh page to update. See map bigger on our Weather Wall.

Tonight: For another night, it's going to be pretty darn cold. Under mostly clear skies and light winds, evening temperatures falling through the 20s will drop to overnight lows ranging from the mid teens in the colder suburbs to near 20 downtown.

Tomorrow (Thursday): A light wind from the southwest will help boost temperatures to highs of 39-43. It will be dry, with partly to mostly sunny skies.

Weatherman Kosek's Krazy Fan(s): Someone (or some people), evidently with too much time on their hands, has built a Web site urging AccuWeather to bring back zany meteorologist Jim Kosek. Kosek stopped providing forecasts for the D.C. area several months ago. See: WeMissJim.com. (Background: Wild Weatherman). So AccuWeather, where is Jim?

See Dan Stillman's forecast through the weekend.

By Capital Weather Gang  | January 21, 2009; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts, Humor
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: 2008 Was Warm, But Coolest Since 2001
Next: Forecast: Mild(er) Over The Next 72 Hours

Comments

Current temp. in Burke: 49.6 with clear skies.

I don't know why, but my thermometer always says the temperature in my area is way higher than what was predicted.

Is there something wrong with it? Are there any outside factors that could affect it?

Posted by: Yellowboy | January 21, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

If it reads 49 it is obviously pointing towards the sun. Put it on the north side of your house for accurate readings.

It is 28.6 at my house in Montgomery County

Posted by: MKadyman | January 21, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Mkadyman!

Now, if I only knew which side of my house faces north.......

Posted by: Yellowboy | January 21, 2009 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Haha. How do you get home at night? It is the side of the house that never gets the sun.

Posted by: MKadyman | January 21, 2009 5:08 PM | Report abuse

since it is realy starting to seem like a possibility, what are the chances we get a snowless winter??

Posted by: samdman95 | January 21, 2009 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone recommend a good website, or book that explains how to read the weather models?

Posted by: snowlover | January 21, 2009 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Read the discussion forums. The mets won't necessarily teach you how to read a model but by reading their posts you will get a much better idea how to do it than before.

Posted by: MKadyman | January 21, 2009 6:28 PM | Report abuse

can anyone give me a low down on next week. I have heard everything from snowstorm to ice to mix precip for the 26-29 time frame. I know models are not really handleing the pattern for next week real well.

samdman95: I'm going to do it like this, 0-40 inches for the rest of the winter. The way its going right not 0 seems possible and theres is no way IMO we'll see 40 so either way you can't loose lol.

Posted by: clintonportis17 | January 21, 2009 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Portis -

I know it is Accuweather but here is their updated thinking on next week:

My guess is that we will be in the dreaded mix or right on the rain/snow line border. We also need to worry about the Southern and Northern track and may miss out all together.

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | January 21, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

This forecast just isn't going to work for me. I'm looking for something with a little more snow. Yeah yeah, my schedule is looking a little too busy for a lack thereof right about now, can we maybe tweak the dry part out of Thursday? Yeah moisture tomorrow around 12:30 sounds about good for my schedule, so if you could just make a note of it in your planners you guys, that'd be super.
Thanks for being so flexible you guys.

Posted by: Havoc737 | January 21, 2009 10:02 PM | Report abuse

Jim's back on tonight's Accuweather forecast!

Posted by: mm148896 | January 21, 2009 10:39 PM | Report abuse