The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 01/ 2/2009

Weather Ins and Outs for 2009

By Dan Stillman

* Express & Detailed Forecast | InaugurationCast: Let the Forecasts Begin *

What's In and Out in the world of weather, climate and the like? Here's my highly subjective and easily debatable year-end (or shall we say year-beginning) list. I had fun putting it together, and hope you'll have fun reading it, commenting on it, and offering your own Ins and Outs.

Keep reading for my list of Ins and Outs...

OutIn
Snow in D.C.Snow seemingly everywhere else (even where it shouldn't be)
Government-approved scienceUncensored science
D.C. winter weather worthy of a warningFalse-alarm Weather Service warnings
Believing that tornadoes only strike rural areasUrban tornadoes
Weather Channel environmental staffAl Roker on TWC
Widespread severe droughtHollywood wildfires
Local TV radar warsInternet radar wars
In-person weather small talkWeather tweets
Earth DayBeing Green
Separating science from politicsGlobal warming skepticism in the UK
Drama at the National Hurricane CenterAccurate seasonal hurricane forecasts
"Storm of the Century"Still sensationalizing storms
LautenbacherLubchenco
El BomboMr. Q
CapitalWeather.comCapital Weather Gang

CWG's Jason Samenow contributed to this post.

By Dan Stillman  | January 2, 2009; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Capital Weather Gang, Features
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Temperatures Trend Upward
Next: Forecast: Sunny Saturday, Dampish Sunday

Comments

Out: Rain when it's 65 degrees outside
In: Rain when it's 33 degrees outside

(Hopefully I'll be proven wrong on the 7th of January!)

Posted by: KBurchfiel | January 2, 2009 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Ha Ha! Great list. Let's hope the first in and out will NOT prove true...maybe "Giant DC snowstorms" in and "complaining about no snow in DC" out?

ah...'tis a dream...

Posted by: dinergirl | January 2, 2009 4:14 PM | Report abuse

The 7th looks mainly wet. Its amazing to see what the trends have been with the models this winter. I mean every storm it seems like went from wintery to wet. Tuesday look very interesting just a couple of days ago to now looking pretty wet. One thing you can count on now is you can bet it will be cold behind the storm.

Posted by: clintonportis17 | January 2, 2009 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I'm loving the 18z run for 1/6!!!!!!! Best solution Ive seen all winter....

Too bad it will adjust next run......hopefully more so in our favor.:)....Right now models show a classic winter storm setup...

Posted by: StormChaserMan | January 2, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Yeah lol I just saw the 18z! Pretty setup. Butttt, its is the 18z and its does have a bias. wee need the 0z to back it up or else you can forget about it. I could tell Topper Shutt saw it b/c he seemed a bit in question to what might happen. All I can say is lets pray!

Posted by: clintonportis17 | January 2, 2009 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Maybe 18z picked up on the cold air damming.....I agree it's only 18z ,.If 0z backs it up, this new model trend will get really interesting.....if certainly looks like we will have a decent amount of moisture to work with......hope & pray is right..

Posted by: StormChaserMan | January 2, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

we can only hope but the odds of it happening are not good IMO just b/c of what the trend has been all winter so lets wait and see!

Posted by: clintonportis17 | January 2, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

Yes, El Bombo has been gone for quite a while. Hard not to worry about that.

Posted by: --sg | January 2, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

El Bombo must have gone 2 a dance on a rainy nite & melted. Some people just fade away, like snow in this area, & r never heard from again. Maybe a Dingo ate him. No big storms thru next Fri., might see a little white stuff mid week. Enjoyed last nights Orange Bowl win. Hoo fans can only hope.

Posted by: VaTechBob | January 2, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

I am concerned for El Bombo as well. You don't hear as much from Blue Ridge Mike as well.

Posted by: GregRAINMAN | January 2, 2009 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Did El Bombo stop posting after the registration requirement? That seems to be what I recall anyway. Some people dropped with the switch to the Post, but most came. A lot of people will drop when registration is required, though.

Posted by: jahutch | January 2, 2009 10:26 PM | Report abuse

@jahutch - that's an excellent point about people dropping after registration became required. The requirement went into effect on or about Oct 20; seems to me that corresponds to about the time of the last El Bombo post.

Posted by: --sg | January 2, 2009 10:37 PM | Report abuse

El Bombo disappeared at least a few weeks before the registration requirement I think. Hope he's OK.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | January 2, 2009 11:29 PM | Report abuse

El Bombo and Mike from the Blue Ridge - two blasts from the fairly recent past. Funny how even a weather blog can have its own "memes," eh?? ;)

Posted by: VAStateOfMind | January 3, 2009 12:22 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Q - hahahahaha! I like El Bombo much better.

Posted by: GregRAINMAN | January 3, 2009 12:41 AM | Report abuse

I'm just fine. My wireless mouse had issues, however, so I've been unable to post! Chalk it all up to a sick mouse, which I've replaced with a conventional Microsoft mouse!!!

As for being "out" or "in", please rest assured that "El Bombo" is back "in" as of Jan. 3, 2009.

Wish I could say the same for D.C. snow!!! Unfortunately we seem to have entered a weather pattern rut, and the lows keep tracking to our north and west! The result: When it gets cold it gets too dry, and when the moisture returns, it gets TOO DARNED MILD to snow!!!

Nevertheless I saw a ray of hope at 10:30 AM this past Monday as I returned home from grocery shopping at the Giant. The sky darkened and the snow squall approached then built to a whiteout crescendo. Then, just as suddenly as it arrived, the skies began to clear and the snow squall abated! But not without a parting shot. A sudden flash of lightning, then a loud clap of thunder! Alas, our 2008/09 thundersnow had limited itself to five minutes flat!!! Wish it could have lingered for 12-18 hours!

A subsequent Vaisala check revealed two lightning strikes in the local area. NALDN data showed no cloud-ground strikes so it was all evidently cloud-to-cloud.

Now we seem to be fated to return to the Boring Forties, though I have a scheduled appointment on Tuesday the 6th ... and now they're calling for the dreaded wintry mix and 38-degree rain.

As for dances, I'm attending them more often, including the Chevy Chase Ballroom dances on Mondays and Fridays. Thus far, the rainy spells haven't been melting me down, but the increased dance attendance could cut down on my posting frequency. By the way, Tuesday night swing dances resume at the Clarendon Ballroom Jan. 6 and I have an Elks Lodge dance next Friday. I also note that crownweather.com has a nice U.S. page with all the maps, etc. on one page. plus all the temp. precip. upper-air and charts for both the preliminary and afternoon extended forecast discussions. Look for improved weather coverage in 2009--whenever I'm not at a dance!

Posted by: Bombo47jea | January 3, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

El Bombo...is it really you? Welcome back!

Posted by: --sg | January 3, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse