The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:45 PM ET, 02/ 2/2009

PM Update: Front Brings Rain Changing to Snow

By Ian Livingston

Temps tumble; Second wintry Tuesday in a row tomorrow?

* Umbrella In the Snow? | By 10 PM: SchoolCast *

More mild temperatures visited the area today, but that's all about to change. Highs that reached into the low and mid 50s will be a memory by later this evening because cold air will quickly invade behind a cold front moving through the area now. In addition to falling temperatures and gusty winds, rain showers will rapidly change to snow showers with a quick coating possible this evening. Any additional accumulation overnight and tomorrow?

Tonight: Rain showers this evening will quickly change to snow showers. Temperatures will settle to around or just below freezing for lows. Although ground temperatures are relatively high due to the recent warmth, a coating to an inch of snow is possible by morning especially in the typically cold spots and any areas that get heavier bursts.

Tomorrow (Tuesday): A disturbance in the upper atmosphere will swing through, keeping the chance for snow going through the day. With temperatures not likely to go up much (only to about the mid 30s), we'll be cold enough for snow to stick during any heavier periods of precipitation.

Local Snow Probabilities (late tonight through tomorrow)...

70%: 3" or less
   *35%: Less than 1"
   *35%: 1-3"
20%: 3-6"
10%: 6"+

The greatest accumulations will be on grassy and elevated surfaces, though roads may see some as well. Snow totals will likely be higher east of the Chesapeake and northeast into eastern Pennsylvania and New Jersey, where advisories and watches have been posted.

See Jason Samenow's forecast through early next week. Check back later for SchoolCast and an update if needed.

London Snow: Add London to the list (as if that list isn't long enough already) of places that have seen more snow than D.C. this winter. As of Monday evening (Europe), London had already seen about 8" of snow, making this the largest snowfall in about 18 years.

By Ian Livingston  | February 2, 2009; 5:45 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Umbrella In the Snow: Yea or Nay?
Next: Snow Coating Western Suburbs, Heading East

Comments

What's it looking like down here in Albemarle County (more specifically zip 22935)? Dark clouds have moved in and wind/cool air is taking over, no precip yet. Will there be a snow forecast map tonight? Thanks!

Posted by: carrerascott | February 2, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

The wind is really starting to whip around my third-floor Lake Ridge aerie. Let's see how quickly the temp starts to come down...it was pretty warm earlier this afternoon.

Posted by: meta2 | February 2, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Thanks. Great Post by the way. I see that 1-3 inches isn't out of the game. Even 6+. Is there any chance of a complete mistake and we have a lot more than expected. More than 5 inches. Everobody has their own opinions and it makes it confusing. Somebody had a good point of saying 6+ isnt out of the game

Posted by: hoyafan516 | February 2, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

No discussion on the models changing again with this post? Can you confirm they are shifting back to the west again?

Posted by: bbv91258 | February 2, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

Can somebody post the thing that shows the shift like bbv91258 asked?

Posted by: hoyafan516 | February 2, 2009 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Last comment: Did you chance the probability to 3 and below??? Or did somebody hack it???

Posted by: hoyafan516 | February 2, 2009 4:19 PM | Report abuse

@carrerascott

We usually only do a snowfall map if we're fairly confident there will be at least 1" of snow. We may do one late this evening and/or for early tomorrow morning if conditions warrant...

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

SNOW is beginning to fall!! with a north to northeast wind of 15-20.

Temp. has dropped from 57 to 38 in 2 hrs.

Posted by: AugustaJim | February 2, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

where are you augusta jim? i assume "augusta", but where's that?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 2, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Went out for a little over in hour in Alexandria. Temps definitely fell a good amount and the clouds are coming in.

Now, it seems not so silly to be talking about snow.

Posted by: kallieh | February 2, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Walter:

30 miles n.w. of Charlottesville on the west side of the Blue Ridge, in the Shenandoah Valley.

Posted by: AugustaJim | February 2, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Exactly. But if you had to be honest how much would you say we get? Sorry for all of these comments? But you got me exited :)

Posted by: hoyafan516 | February 2, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

To respond to the comments above, from what I have seen models are not shifting back to the west.

Posted by: timjuliani | February 2, 2009 4:43 PM | Report abuse

thanks. is that along rt.81? near staunton? i believe i used to drive by there on my way to/from vatech. i think i'm jealous of your "west of the blue ridge" location. do you usually get more/less/same snow as dc sw suburbs?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 2, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

wind is definitely picking up in Silver Spring.

Posted by: whateva1 | February 2, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Hoya, there's a lot of potential for this to bust low or even high with regard to snowfall. It's a relatively small-scale feature expected to produce the accumulation and it can shift pretty easily either direction. I think 70% chance of less than 3" should give you a pretty good idea of what to expect for now.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like we're just east of Jim on the other side of the Blue Ridge -- can see them right now (well mostly obscured by clouds now). We're a few miles from the Green county border in Albemarle. No precip here yet.

Posted by: carrerascott | February 2, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

But does that mean 3 inches. How come noaa still says half an inch. Man i love this website. You guys r good.

Posted by: hoyafan516 | February 2, 2009 4:53 PM | Report abuse

This winter it seems 70% chance of 0-3" means 100% chance of

Posted by: carrerascott | February 2, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I think it's safe to say 100% chance of less than 3"

CWG rocks!

Posted by: mwelsh | February 2, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

@mwelsh

CWG rocks!

Don't tell us mwelsh... Tell your friends. ;)

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

carerrascott: We had the same idea at the same second!

Posted by: mwelsh | February 2, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

All I know is that the temperature dropped 10 degress in about an hour. What does it mean? That it's getting colder. I've given up trying to figure this thing out.

Posted by: phanieb | February 2, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

anytime i start talking local weather with anybody, i tell them "go to capwx." they're always impressed.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 2, 2009 4:59 PM | Report abuse

You have a cult following in my building. (If I told you where I work, I'd have to, well, you know. Such is life in D.C...)
Hang in there, guys!
~Mike

Posted by: mwelsh | February 2, 2009 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Snow still falling. Vis. approx. 1 mile. Temp. down to 34.

Walter: Yes, very close to I81. We normally get around 10 inches more per year than the sw side of D.C. but the last few years have not been normal!

Posted by: AugustaJim | February 2, 2009 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, hubby gets miffed when I say I have to stay up to wait for the schoolcast ;o) I'm a fan!

Posted by: koofie | February 2, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Still, if we get 3" that will be the biggest snowfall of the season for most places in the metro area. And with our expectations having been lowered over the weekend, it would come as a pleasant surprise! Right now (5 PM) it's fallen to 40 after a high of 55 here in Greenbelt. I think that by the time any precip gets here it should be of the frozen variety.

Posted by: markf40 | February 2, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Light windblown rain falling here in 22935.

Posted by: carrerascott | February 2, 2009 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Cold front coming in. 39 in bethesda. You can tell snow is on the way.

Posted by: hoyafan516 | February 2, 2009 5:07 PM | Report abuse

@

And to think I thought I had made it home early enough today to get a good run in with these great temps. Oh well, I guess I'll trade another day in the gym for potential snow tonight...

{Takes off his official hat for a second}

... snow dance_snow dance_snow dance_snow dance ...

What was I saying again?

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2009 5:11 PM | Report abuse

mwelsh says "CWG Rocks!" ... CWG's Jamie Jones says, "Don't Tell Us ... Tell Your Friends" ... I second Jamie's motion!, and remind everyone that there are several ways to tell your friends and family where to find us:

www.CapitalWeatherGang.com
www.washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang

and remember, we're here rain, snow or shine, 24/7, 365 days a year.

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2009 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Snow has reached Martinsburg, WVa...

Winds are howling and temps are crashing...models show temperatures falling from around 50 mid-afternoon to mid 30s mid-to-late evening (7-9 pm).

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2009 5:14 PM | Report abuse

capitalweather.com works as well

Posted by: samdman95 | February 2, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Moderate snow falling in Harrisonburg now. Got a nice coating on the ground.

Posted by: oriolesfan23 | February 2, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Oriolesfan -- push it across the mountain! It's not here yet but the mountains are now *completely* gone from our view.

Posted by: carrerascott | February 2, 2009 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Oooh...my son's at college in Shepherdstown (very close to Martinsburg)...bet he's celebrating!

Posted by: meta2 | February 2, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

this is all awesome news, right? i mean, wasn't it supposed to start as rain? or will it still start as rain in falls church?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 2, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Looks like many places are only seeing very brief rain if any before the change to snow. With temps falling fast in the metro area we may see similar.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

yay!!!!!!!!!! Snow!!! (hopefully)

Posted by: samdman95 | February 2, 2009 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Perhaps a nice surprise tomorrow - similar to the Jan 2000 surprise snowstorm.. Radar looks like there's potential this thing hugs the coast a bit closer.. Fingers crossed..

Posted by: ZmanVA | February 2, 2009 5:26 PM | Report abuse

5:30:

Moderate snow, vis. .5 mile, ne breeze 5-10, temp. 33, ground turning white.

Posted by: AugustaJim | February 2, 2009 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Where did you see thay radar zman??? Im keeping my fingers crossed for 5+

Posted by: hoyafan516 | February 2, 2009 5:32 PM | Report abuse

There's a big slug of moisture in the lower midlands of South Carolina right now, seems to be moving NE but the leading edge has just pushed north of Columbia. It almost looks like a deformation zone; the front is just pushing into Charlotte. If this area holds up and continues its present movement, it will reach Raleigh in a few hours, maybe Richmond before midnight and possibly even parts of the DC area after that. When I last looked at the radar, this area of precip was in south central Georgia and didn't look like much of anything. The NAM and especially the GFS seemed to have picked up on it. This could well be our snow source once it moves into the colder surface/aloft air that should be well in place in DC later this evening.

Posted by: Pianokey | February 2, 2009 5:43 PM | Report abuse

its getting darker= temps will keep on droppin!!!

Posted by: samdman95 | February 2, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Hoyafan - per your question, check out the following radar link: http://www.intellicast.com/National/Radar/Current.aspx?animate=true&location=default

Posted by: ZmanVA | February 2, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

There seem to be a lot more commentators today. I think that last storm helped CWG's popularity! Great job guys!

Posted by: PeterBethesda | February 2, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Cold cold wind driven rain here... hoping for changeover shortly!

Posted by: carrerascott | February 2, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

Waiting patiently here near Union Station....

Skywalker from Silver Spring

Posted by: SkywalkerSS | February 2, 2009 5:53 PM | Report abuse

@carrerascott, let us know when and if you change on over (and where you are).

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Still getting steady snow here in Harrisonburg. The grass is now completely covered. Pavement is starting to get white. I'll go out and measure in a bit.

Posted by: oriolesfan23 | February 2, 2009 6:08 PM | Report abuse

so when do new models come out? will we have a better feel for things tonight or will we not know until tomorrow?

Posted by: shirlingtonvillage | February 2, 2009 6:32 PM | Report abuse

where is our snow coming from. is it all that rain in the SE? how much do u think we'll get? more than 3?

Posted by: hoyafan516 | February 2, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I'm a closet weather geek who has been lurking here for a long time. I just wanted to tell you guys how much I appreciate your detailed and non-hyped weather forecasts. My students today were all commenting how their Blackboard widgets said they were going to get a lot of snow tonight (I think it's powered by Accuweather....) and I showed them this blog. I think you'll have 28 more schoolcast readers tonight ;-).

Posted by: HistoryTchr | February 2, 2009 6:35 PM | Report abuse

I see a lot of moisture coming our way from the south and west. The precip band over central SC has weakened but the frontal band now moving through Charlotte and the SC upstate has strengthened considerably and since everything is moving SW to NE right now and there is still a lot of precip to our west, I think the answer to our snow accumulation is not in the western Atlantic, it's a lot closer to home. Check out the radars, Greer, Raleigh, Blacksburg, even Sterling although I think it's adjusted for snow echoes. And Greer isn't the southern edge of this precipitation either. We have an interesting night ahead.

Posted by: Pianokey | February 2, 2009 6:43 PM | Report abuse

6:30:
1 inch of SNOW, moderate SNOW, 32 degrees,
pavement covering.

Posted by: AugustaJim | February 2, 2009 6:45 PM | Report abuse

@hoya

Re: how much? We've given you the possibilities above...we're thinking around an inch is most likely, but there's significant uncertainty.

@HistoryTchr

Thanks for the nice comments and for promoting our blog. Your students are welcome here...

@shirlingtonvillage

The next set of models come out between 9 and 11 tonight. Not expecting radical changes though.

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2009 6:47 PM | Report abuse

@HistoryTchr,

That's got to be the best thing this thread has heard all day.
Welcome to all 28 of HistoryTchr's students.
Too cool!

Posted by: pjdunn1 | February 2, 2009 6:49 PM | Report abuse

35 degrees with moderate rain in Culpeper va

Posted by: clintonportis17 | February 2, 2009 6:50 PM | Report abuse

I am also a wannabe weather geek that has been lurking here for awhile. As a native Washingtonian I get ultra-hyped at the thought of these snow "events" (much to the chagrin of my Native New Englander wife) and this blog and you commentators are an absolute delight. And even though it will wreak havoc with my day I got to say COME ON SNOW!

Posted by: mjwies11 | February 2, 2009 6:52 PM | Report abuse

Light rain here, I think...

As far as "advertising" goes: I'm the TV weatherman for my school, and use CapWX and the NWS sites primarily for the forecasts. I need to credit you guys more, but I have mentioned a few times that Capital Weather is my site of choice.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | February 2, 2009 7:02 PM | Report abuse

one inch total????

Posted by: hoyafan516 | February 2, 2009 7:07 PM | Report abuse

Maybe we will all be surprised in the morning with a couple of inches on the ground. One can hope:)

Posted by: snowlover | February 2, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Teachers and students would love it if you would post your schoolcast early and then update it at 10....we are too excited to hear what you guys are going to predict to wait!!! Our entire staff are BIG fans! Let it snow!

Posted by: artteach | February 2, 2009 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Your predictions don't make sense! 3 or less 70 %
1-3 35%

IT's the same thing isn't it. Any chance of 3 inches??? AT ALL???

Posted by: hoyafan516 | February 2, 2009 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but nbcwashington is being crazy! 1-4 inches?? On the radar it shows 2-4 all around us. Let me know what you think.

Posted by: hoyafan516 | February 2, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Half an apple, at the most!

Posted by: PoorTeacher | February 2, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

hoya dude -- that's not what he meant. he meant there's a 70 percent hcance of 3 inches or less (35% of that being the probablity of less than one inch, and another 35 % of that being 1-3 inches) Then another 30% chance for anything over that.

Posted by: danuva | February 2, 2009 7:18 PM | Report abuse

35+35=70...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 2, 2009 7:19 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping for snow, but just enough to melt by Thursday when I head to the Mtns to carve it up. I despise route 66 in good weather (especially during rush hour).

Thanks for the hard work CWG'ers.

Posted by: ChuckCounty | February 2, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

My prediction is for micro-accumulations:
50% for .1 - .3 inch
50% for .4 - .6 inch

If we're so lucky! ;-)

Posted by: schrute | February 2, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

k thanks

Posted by: hoyafan516 | February 2, 2009 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Last Comment: Where can I find the map thing where it shows the Gfz or whatever it is?

Posted by: hoyafan516 | February 2, 2009 7:24 PM | Report abuse

That British snowstorm is spreading west into Ireland! Met Eireann is forecasting blizzard conditions possible for parts of Ulster and Leinster with possible accumulations as high as 10 cm. [This is RARE in Ireland which usually gets mild weather from the Gulf Stream in winter.]

Maybe that upper-air storm will still hit us with a surprise tomorrow into Wednesday. Otherwise next weekend is so mild I'm planning a trail hike.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | February 2, 2009 7:26 PM | Report abuse

Poorteach-
Put your Pj's on inside out and be optimistic!!! Don't forget to flush ice cubes down the toliet for luck...it might also help lower the ground level temps!! hee hee

Posted by: artteach | February 2, 2009 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Art teach.. what county are you in? I don't foresee too much snow. Even if we get snow I think we'll have school, as we used 2 days already.

Posted by: PoorTeacher | February 2, 2009 7:29 PM | Report abuse

To: mjwies11

I'm with ya -- I'm a native Washingtonian with a New Englander husband who rolls his eyes every time a "snow event" gets predicted. Just discovered this site -- What fun!

Posted by: nonfrequentflyer | February 2, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Here it comes.

Posted by: SnowMonsterDC | February 2, 2009 7:32 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I'm crazy, but the snow is coming down pretty thick here in Hamilton, VA. I know I'm NW of DC's predictions, but I was anticipating more rain and less snow. Nice surprise thus far!

Posted by: Lauramul | February 2, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

8:00 PM:

TWO INCHES ON THE GROUND AND COMIN DOWN!!

32 DEGREES, PAVEMENT WHITE.

Posted by: AugustaJim | February 2, 2009 7:56 PM | Report abuse

About 1/4 inch here around Oatlands in Leesburg. Walkway covered but too far from the dirt road to tell if it's sticking there.

Posted by: mandarb77 | February 2, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Nothing here in Germantown.

Posted by: PoorTeacher | February 2, 2009 8:03 PM | Report abuse

it seems like the low pressure system forming in the south is taking away some of the moisture from the low pressure system around here

Posted by: danuva | February 2, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

rain in bethesda switching to snow soon

Posted by: hoyafan516 | February 2, 2009 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Still dry in Lake Ridge...but very cold.

Posted by: meta2 | February 2, 2009 8:11 PM | Report abuse

To: nonfrequentflyer

It is always great to find a comrade in arms (and get a shout out)!

Nothing much going on in Tenleytown.

If only I had a magical bag of Doritos....come on snow!

Posted by: mjwies11 | February 2, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

i'm watching the radar and it seems like there's a "protective bubble" over washington - precipitation seems to vanish just before getting to dc...

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 2, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

32 degrees here in culpeper va and snowing pretty good since 7:30ish! grass and tables, grill are white but melting on roads.

Posted by: clintonportis17 | February 2, 2009 8:30 PM | Report abuse

walter-in-fallschurch: Yup, that's the good ol' DC bubble for ya. Did you know that snowlovers and bubbles are naturally born enemies?

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 2, 2009 8:32 PM | Report abuse

ah, AugustaJim, you are making me miss my days in the Valley (Winchester, if you're wondering).

Also, just to continue the CWG love: I've been reading you guys since the beginning, and never hesitate to recommend you to others. I've definitely gotten the staff at my school hooked!

as for the "storm", i'm prepared for a pretty little dusting, and then i'll get my hopes up for the next one.

Posted by: dinergirl | February 2, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Snow starting here in Herndon... Very Wet and mixing with Rain

Posted by: Snowman_In_Herndon | February 2, 2009 8:39 PM | Report abuse

Here in Sterling, it rained a little, quickly followed by a change-over at around 7:50. Light snow right now; no accumulation on anything as of yet.

The thing with these coastals is that I can never see where the snow is coming from until it's on the radar. This is just precipitation from the cold front... not from the coastal, so I still feel in the dark.

Apparently, so does NWS, posting only a 50% chance of snow for Sterling tomorrow.

I've been following this one in the model fantasies since last week; if only it was the monster that they were showing before.

Posted by: Sterlingva | February 2, 2009 8:42 PM | Report abuse

I love you guys, but waiting until 10 pm for the schoolcast will kill me. I need to be up by 5 am :o( I know it doesn't make a difference, but knowing what someone ELSE thinks makes me more of a realist.

Posted by: koofie | February 2, 2009 8:49 PM | Report abuse

-snowdancesnowdancesnowdance-

Posted by: mbalexandra | February 2, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Don't lose sleep waiting for SchoolCast because chances are you won't get to sleep in. How's that for a clue?

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2009 8:59 PM | Report abuse

Two and one half inches at 9 pm, 31 degrees. North wind 5 mph

Nice!!

Posted by: AugustaJim | February 2, 2009 9:00 PM | Report abuse

Coming down Very Hard now.. All Snow

Windshield getting some snow on it, dirt getting a slight dusting.

Posted by: Snowman_In_Herndon | February 2, 2009 9:01 PM | Report abuse

Nice clue Jason! Everyone will be in school on time tomorrow.

Posted by: PoorTeacher | February 2, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

couldn't post til now, hungry people to feed. It rained for about 10 secs before switching over to rain (I left Manassas at 6:30 and by the time i got to New Balt it was snowing steadily.). 3/5 inch and still snowing!

Posted by: weathergrrl | February 2, 2009 9:04 PM | Report abuse

that was supposed to be 3/4-1 inch. And this is the most excited i've seen augusta jim since the last rain storm in the valley!

Posted by: weathergrrl | February 2, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

Lots of snow coming down in Reston -- the grass in already covered with white. Whee -- let's hope this storm outperforms what is forecast.

Posted by: photojenn | February 2, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

snow coming down pretty hard with about an 1/2 inch so far. roads a becoming snow covered. temp 31 degrees with a persistent wind here in Culpeper va.

Posted by: clintonportis17 | February 2, 2009 9:09 PM | Report abuse

9:10pm. Nada, zilch, dry in NW DC. Curse you, evil "urban heat island", curse you!

Posted by: wrytous | February 2, 2009 9:10 PM | Report abuse

Where is my snow :)

Posted by: snowlover | February 2, 2009 9:15 PM | Report abuse

Light sleet in Arlington (near Falls Church).

Posted by: schrute | February 2, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

extremely quiet in laurel.

too quiet.

Posted by: edwardappleby | February 2, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

I've got bupkes in Old Town, Alexandria.....

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 2, 2009 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Light-to-moderate snow began about 9pm in Oakton, VA. The ground is coated white.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Weathergrrl:
You are exactly right! I have received less than 1 inch of snow during the past 381 days!! 4.5" 1-17-08.

Time to get excited!!!!

Posted by: AugustaJim | February 2, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

We've got sleet in upper NW DC. A new post is up with SchoolCast.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

Light snow in NW Spotsy. This looks like the last chance 4 a decent snow this winter. Starting Fri. temps r going 2 b above average thru at least mid Feb.

Posted by: VaTechBob | February 2, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse