The new Washington
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 12:30 PM ET, 02/ 8/2009

Potomac Ice and a Magenta Sky

By Kevin Ambrose

* A Mild Sunday, Then A Little Cooler: Full Forecast *

jeffersonice3_web.jpg
Ice on the Tidal Basin reflects the Jefferson Memorial and the magenta sky as dawn breaks over Washington, February 7, 2009. A streak of red on the eastern horizon highlights the edge of the cloud cover.

With last week's cold weather, I knew there would be a lot of ice on the Potomac River and Tidal Basin. So, I decided to try a weekend photo shoot to capture the sunrise colors reflecting on ice. I arrived just before dawn at the Tidal Basin Saturday morning, about 6:20am, and I noticed a fast moving bank of clouds moving in from the west. I realized it would be a race to see if the sun could rise above the horizon before the clouds filled the sky and spoiled the sunrise. Unfortunately, the clouds won the race and the sunrise colors were quite subdued. I wasn't too disappointed, however, because there were at least some pastel shades of magenta and red that filtered through from the east, painting the clouds over Washington.

Keep reading for more photos from Saturday morning.

dawn3_web.jpg
Sunrise in DC with a frozen Tidal Basin and heavy cloud cover, February 7, 2009.

geese_web.jpg
Geese congregate to a hole in the ice on the Potomac River, February 7, 2009.

jeffersonice2_web.jpg
Ice on the Tidal Basin a few minutes after sunrise, February 7, 2009. The band of clouds that filled the sky at sunrise quickly moved away, leaving clear skies and beautiful weather for the remaining daytime hours on Saturday.

By Kevin Ambrose  | February 8, 2009; 12:30 PM ET
Categories:  Photography
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Super Mild Air to Ease Cooler
Next: Forecast: Week off to a Bright Start

Comments

Unfortunately with this blowtorch, the ice is but a memory.

The Post is trying to cut out my "TV Week" supplement in 3 weeks. That's fine with me...PROVIDED THE SUNDAY TV SCHEDULE SHOWS UP IN THE ARTS AND STYLE SECTION. Thus far, it has NOT! The problem: I need to know in advance when Fox 5 is going to bump the 6 PM weather report on Sunday for one of their lousy little NASCAR marathons.
They already nix it on Saturday evenings during the summer for their baseball telecasts [I won't need "TV Week" to tell me THAT!]

They've already nixed various parts of my Sunday Post: Sunday Source...Book World, etc. May need to tell this to DCRTV if I can...

Posted by: Bombo47jea | February 8, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

When can we expect a return to winter?

Posted by: smssms | February 8, 2009 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Pretty amazing how the record hight and low today are SO far apart; 65 total degrees and in just 5 years time.

Posted by: TheMot | February 8, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

I loved the weather today. I was at Cobb Island, MD, around where the car thermometer read 74*F. I took off my T-shirt and tanned. I love this spring weather. No more winter!!

Posted by: bastings | February 8, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

What a gorgeous photo. I love this city.
Thanks.

Posted by: mwelsh | February 8, 2009 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Nice shots, and I hope you didn't even get hassled by the Park Police (that time of morning, they're probably speeding to catch some doughnuts 'cause the "Hot Doughnuts Now" sign was all lit up).

Posted by: jcbcmb68 | February 8, 2009 9:23 PM | Report abuse

mmm...hot doughnuts now...

(sorry, i got distracted).

Beautiful as always, Kevin. I particularly like the Washington Monument one.

Posted by: dinergirl | February 8, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse