The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 12:15 PM ET, 02/ 3/2009

The Official FedCast Poll

By Jason Samenow

* Full Forecast: Cold with Snow Flurries | Umbrella in the Snow? *

Last week, I introduced FedCast -- a forecast for if and how the weather will impact the federal government's operating status. Needing a symbol for the scale, I turned to you for recommendations and we got a bunch. Thank you.

Some of the recommendations were humorous, some cynical, and others traditional. Here they are: red stapler, Capitol dome, Eagle head, Uncle Sam head, government ID badge, Dilbert head, a cubicle, puffy black tennis shoe (i.e. the kind thrown at former President George W. Bush), an Obama head, dollar sign, the Washington Monument, a G Man with Fedora hat, an elephant or donkey (depending on the party in power), red ink pots, and red tape.

The ones you get to vote on are those that came up multiple times in your comments. I did veto a couple ideas either because we couldn't reproduce them small enough to be effective symbols (e.g. ID badges) or the potential for copyright issues (e.g. Dilbert).

Vote away...

Do you have ideas for criteria for the scale? Feel free to weigh in the comment area below.

By Jason Samenow  | February 3, 2009; 12:15 PM ET
Categories:  Capital Weather Gang
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Three Wintry Days, Flakes at Times
Next: PM Update: Some Cloud Breaks, But Still Cold

Comments

Completely off-topic, but just came across this:

"The French Toast Alert System has been developed in consultation with local and federal emergency officials to help you determine when to panic and rush to the store to buy milk, eggs and bread."

Posted by: wiredog | February 3, 2009 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I voted for the Capitol Domes. If the Dilbert heads were on the poll, I so would have voted for that instead.

wiredog: BRILLIANT! We need something like that around here.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | February 3, 2009 3:01 PM | Report abuse

@wiredog

No toilet paper in Boston ?

Posted by: MDScot | February 3, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Argh! I was brutally busy today, and the poll came and went before I saw it and could vote... :-( Oh well, I'll love whatever icon is chosen.

Posted by: --sg | February 3, 2009 9:07 PM | Report abuse

It was only open for a single day? And the voting site is blocked at work. :(
By the way, I think the sneakers are for the women who wear them on their way to work, not like those thrown at the ex-Prez. I hope the Dome wins.

Posted by: spyderjerusalem | February 4, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse