The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 02/ 2/2009

Umbrella In the Snow: Yea or Nay?

By Jason Samenow

* The Latest on Snow Chances: Forecast | Six More Weeks of Winter *

In last Wednesday's Express, I was amused by this excerpt from the blog Urban Bohemian featured in the blog log (page 32):

Quick poll: Umbrellas in the snow (just snow, not a wintry mix)? Yea? Nay? Depends on the volume? Just a chick thing?

It made me think we should do this poll right here at the Capital Weather Gang -- especially as may have some flakes flying around tomorrow. So here goes...

Note: If you choose the second option -- "only under particular circumstances" -- please describe these circumstances in the comment area...

By Jason Samenow  | February 2, 2009; 11:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Turning Colder, Unsettled
Next: PM Update: Front Brings Rain Changing to Snow

Comments

There's a certain kind of snow around here that tends to be big, wet flakes. It's really kind of a hybrid of rain and snow and tends to melt on contact, so it's essentially exceedingly cold, coagulated rain. That tends to merit an umbrella in my book, if only so that I don't get soaked.

Normal snow, on the other hand? I'll bundle up and take my chances.

Posted by: forget@menot.com | February 2, 2009 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Only under particular circumstances - which basically depends on how wet I want my coat to get.

Posted by: MKoehl | February 2, 2009 11:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm gonna pull an Obama here and just snicker about the first time I say someone in DC with an umbrella in the snow. Coming from Michigan 6 years ago, I couldn't believe my eyes. These little bits of snow and some folks have umbrellas? Wow.

Posted by: mbegin | February 2, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

NEVER an umbrella in the snow...but always whenever we get that cruddy "wintry mix"!!!

And, boy, am I getting tired of these "minimal events"!!!

Posted by: Bombo47jea | February 2, 2009 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I don't even carry an umbrella in the rain... too much of a hassle. I'd rather run through the rain. If I get a little wet, so be it. It's better than dragging around a stupid umbrella everywhere.

Posted by: PoorTeacher | February 2, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why but I always felt that using an umbrella in the snow as silly.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | February 2, 2009 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Man I don't even wear an umbrella in the rain!

Posted by: authorofpoetry | February 2, 2009 12:08 PM | Report abuse

I feel silly using an umbrella in the snow, but sometimes I do it anyway. I metro and/or walk whenever possible- so if I'm going to a place where I don't want look like a bedraggled rat, I use one.

Posted by: Snowlover2 | February 2, 2009 12:25 PM | Report abuse

"Umbrella in the Snow" sounds like a poem that Dr. Seuss would have wished to write:

There's no reason that I know
For an umbrella in the snow!
Umbrellas help a rainy day
Or to keep the sun away...

Well, I'm clearly no Seuss - somebody help me out here?

Posted by: --sg | February 2, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Umbrellas are remarkably selfish behavior on crowded city streets. Wear a fedora and a trenchcoat, or stay inside.

Posted by: random-adam | February 2, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Umbrella in the snow??? But part of the fun of snow is having it build up in your hair and having to shake it off of your scarf and stuff. Umbrellas in the snow aren't wimpy. They're downright absurd. Takes all the fun out of it! I'm going to be thinking about this all day now, all these people who want to shield themselves from lovely weather because they don't want to get their hair messed up.

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | February 2, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Some of us don't like being pelted by ice pellets. And it's understandable why the myopic among us might prefer to keep their glasses flake-free.

Posted by: avoiceinRockville | February 2, 2009 1:01 PM | Report abuse

For reasons mentioned above:
When snow is that pelting, wind-driven, half-ice.
or
When it's snowing so hard I have to keep cleaning off my glasses so I can see.
That second one hasn't happend in a while.

Posted by: phanieb | February 2, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Precipitation shield to the west getting pretty close now...

Posted by: VAStateOfMind | February 2, 2009 1:44 PM | Report abuse

If the snow is wet and icy rather than soft and fluffy, yes, I use an umbrella. I know it looks stupid, but I don't have a car... I walk and take Metrobus everywhere so if the umbrella prevents me from looking, as another reader stated above, "a bedraggled rat," so be it.

Posted by: dcgirl6 | February 2, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

i refuse to vote because there is no option to vote for no umbrella ever. wear a jacket with a hood!

Posted by: brek | February 2, 2009 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: random-adam | February 2, 2009 12:46 PM

Couldn't agree more, and I'm so glad someone else has noticed this. It's especially problematic considering how gigantic umbrellas are these days.

People have absolutely no regard for anyone else on the sidewalk when they're standing under one of those things. I'd venture they're a metaphor for our selfish society. They're also for sissies.

Posted by: bryc3 | February 2, 2009 2:15 PM | Report abuse

If the snow/sleet is moving horizontally, I use an umbrella. I needed one the other day just to be able to see. Since I don't own a car and walk a couple miles home, I need the darn thing. The folks that think we are "sissies" clearly don't spend as much time in the elements. I think driving is for sissies.

Posted by: MVTer | February 2, 2009 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Concerning running vs. walking in the rain...MythBusters showed it is better to run than walk in the rain (overturned from their origional indoor test):

Posted by: bikerjohn | February 2, 2009 2:34 PM | Report abuse

I thought the language of the question suggested that we are NOT talking about mixed precip or ice. Just straight snow.

I wear glasses and would still hate to miss being covered in fluffy snow!

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | February 2, 2009 2:35 PM | Report abuse

I say 1 inch tonight, 2-3 tomorrow

Posted by: hoyafan516 | February 2, 2009 3:03 PM | Report abuse

As wimpy as Maryland counties are, What would you say the schoolcast is tomorrow. Remember, MOCO, LOUDON, FFX are wimpy. Whats your call even if there's a tiny bit of snow. Im very vonfused on how much we're getting. all of the local news stations say 1 inch tonight, 2-3 tomorrow. i agree.

Posted by: hoyafan516 | February 2, 2009 3:15 PM | Report abuse

As much as I can't wait for some good snow... it really is a delightful day out. Feels like spring with the warm breeze!

Posted by: AnneinSand | February 2, 2009 3:34 PM | Report abuse

1 inch tonight, 2-3 tomorrow?

This is a rain event only; so my snow predictions are 0 tonight, 0 tomorrow. The temperature predictions for the past couple days have been way under the actual temperatures. Sorry folks, we're not going below freezing until Tuesday night...

Posted by: prokaryote | February 2, 2009 3:57 PM | Report abuse

who cares if we wake up to a dusting? It'll still be snowing. It won't stop until later. Remember. If it's below freezing after the rain, we will have a sheet of ice under 3 inches of snow.

Posted by: hoyafan516 | February 2, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

This is embarrassing. Watch some out of town paper pick this up and make us all look like fools.

Posted by: MKadyman | February 2, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I grew up and went to college in this area. But when I moved to upstate NY and used an umbrella in the snow I was relentlessly ridiculed. I am now back in the DC area, much more hardy than I was and would NEVER think if using an umbrella in the snow.

Posted by: diane15 | February 2, 2009 6:42 PM | Report abuse

Light-to-moderate snow began here about 9pm (west of Oakton). The ground is starting to turn white with a wet coating of snow.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | February 2, 2009 9:25 PM | Report abuse