The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 1:40 PM ET, 02/11/2009

Poll: Warm Weather a Mood-Changer?

By Ann Posegate

Wx and the City

* High Winds Tomorrow: Full Forecast | Warmer Winters Shift Birds *

I'm finding that Washingtonians either love the recent warmth or resent it (because it's not snow). I'm with the latter group. How about you?...

Weather definitely affects my mood -- even my personality. And for some reason, since this warm spell began on Saturday, I've felt like a groggy ant that has lost its scent trail.

Keep reading for more commentary...

Part of my funk may be due to my clothing situation -- my summer clothes are in storage, so I've still been sporting my winter garb and sweating profusely on my walk to work. Is anyone else having this issue?

But deep down inside I know what's really eating at me is the fear that this warmth will dash any remaining hope of snow for this winter. Last month I lamented about the lack of snow, and many Capital Weather Gang readers agreed. I wonder how you feel now? Have you given up on winter completely? Or are you still crossing your fingers for some cold and snow?

I'm starting to doubt the groundhog's forecast of six more weeks of winter. And if I saw ants wandering into my apartment like some of you have, I'd definitely be throwing in the towel.

Seasonal Affective Disorder (or SAD -- quite the ironic acronym) is a serious illness that affects some people in northern latitudes. Less sunlight plus shorter days can lead (PDF) to depression. But is there a less severe and reversed version of this? Or is my brain simply thawing from the cold temperatures of late January?

Are you experiencing an "against the curve" mood swing? Or has your mood improved over the past few days? Let us know by answering the poll above and commenting below.

By Ann Posegate  | February 11, 2009; 1:40 PM ET
Categories:  Posegate, Wx and the City
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Warming Changes Where Birds Wait Out Winter
Next: PM Update: Warmth to Showers, Then Strong Winds

Comments

While I like snow, you'll never, ever hear me complaining about 60s and 70s in February!

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | February 11, 2009 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I love the snow too, but I'll take 70 in February!

Posted by: markf40 | February 11, 2009 10:41 AM | Report abuse

I'm with you guys. I love the snow, and am still holding out hope for a good storm before the end of the season. But, having my windows open and feeling that breeze come through the house is nothing short of delicious.

Posted by: chrissie413 | February 11, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Interesting personality quiz. I was snow--people anticipate my arrival but then get sick of me. Sheesh!

Posted by: spgass1 | February 11, 2009 2:20 PM | Report abuse

it's beautiful out there - for feb!

Posted by: madisondc | February 11, 2009 2:24 PM | Report abuse

It's weird to have such warm weather without green leaves and flowering plants!

Posted by: mchristinaw | February 11, 2009 2:47 PM | Report abuse

I love this warm weather!

Mchristinaw, green leaves and flowering plants mostly depend on how long days are, not the temperature (although they do slightly). I read this somewhere on accuweather.

Posted by: bastings | February 11, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I tend to feel more energetic, only because I can do things outside without bundling up, but I do long for snow.
If this were late February I would say "Bring on the Heat!"
But it's not so... "Bring on the Snow!"
Okay. I feel better now.

Posted by: pjdunn1 | February 11, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you Jason... while I'd like it to snow, I don't see worrying about if we'll get any, when there's just no point in doing so.

Posted by: MKoehl | February 11, 2009 5:37 PM | Report abuse

I'd rather it at least stay seasonably cold. Too many adjustments with clothing and the body temperature.

Posted by: ah___ | February 11, 2009 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Not much mood change for me. When we've had an extended cold period as we had recently, I don't mind a little break from the cold. That said, in a wall to wall blowtorch winter (like last year) I do tend to get depressed with the lack of cold.

Posted by: jahutch | February 11, 2009 6:04 PM | Report abuse

I have been in SUCH an excellent mood this week.

Snow is fun. It is. When I was single and childless, I wanted nothing more than a good storm or two or five every winter.

But I've got a toddler to take care of now, and no backyard to build a snowman. (We live in an apartment - thanks, terrible D.C. area housing prices!) It takes so long to get the kid bundled up in layers, hat, mittens, boots, etc. And I *hate* driving anywhere with him during any sort of "winter weather event," because it doesn't feel safe. It's one thing to risk my neck, another thing entirely to risk his. So, in short, when it snows we end up stuck inside most of the day, both of us going absolutely stir-crazy.

These past few days, we've been able to hit the playground and the trails without so much as putting on jackets. It's done wonders for both of us to be able to get out of the apartment so easily and so often! Once he goes to school and our family can (God willing) afford a house, I'm sure we'll root for snow again in a big way. But in the meantime, bring on the joy of a balmy February! For now, I don't care if it never snows again!

Posted by: freeid | February 11, 2009 8:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't think it's as much a factor of what the weather is, as it is that a change in the weather, Anytime that theres an out of the norm day, I get excited.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | February 11, 2009 8:43 PM | Report abuse

@ spgass1 - I was lightning. Apparently I am "capable of random acts of violence." Ha!

@ mchristinaw & bastings - The "photoperiod," or duration of sunlight plants are exposed to each day, can determine when they bloom. I saw an extreme version of this on Mount Washington; a small alpine flower found nowhere else in the world, which only blooms for a few weeks in early summer, was blooming in October! Must have been a similar photoperiod as June, tricking the plants.

@ freeid - I see how snow can be an inconvenience despite the excitement of a winter storm. Luckily, the weather this week has been kid-friendly.

You know, ironically, after writing this today I finally started to feel more energetic. Maybe it just took me a few days to adjust. Wonder what I will feel like once cooler temps return this weekend...

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | February 11, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse