The new Washington
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:50 PM ET, 03/ 1/2009

Big Snows East, Some Snow West

By Jason Samenow

* Winter Storm Warning through 2 p.m. Monday *
* CWG on: Twitter & Facebook | Weather Wall | SnowCam | Snow Polls *

Areas east of I-95 continue to experience a significant snow, with 3-6" totals common in Prince George's (Md.) Calvert (Md.), Charles (Md.), St. Mary's (Md.), King George (Va.), Stafford (Va.) and Spotsylvania (Va.) counties. In the District and points west, snowfall totals have generally been underwhelming...generally around inch or less.

Snow is falling across much of the area, with the heaviest activity still east of I-95 although some pockets of moderate snow are impacting the western suburbs. The next several hours will bring accumulating snow throughout the area. There may be a break in the action some time late tonight, before one final batch in the early morning that could produce some briefly heavy snow. I'm sticking with the revised snow totals given in the previous post: 1-3" N&W of the beltway, 2-5" inside the beltway, and 4-8" with an embedded area of 6-10" east of I-95.

Temperatures are dropping below freezing and will continue falling, so roads will likely become slick.

Keep reading for revised storm impact scales including SchoolCast and FedCast...

IMPACT FORECASTS

SchoolCast (for Mon*)

FedCast (for Mon) capitol-black.jpgcapitol-black.jpgcapitol-gray.jpgcapitol-gray.jpg

*SchoolCast only applies to schools not already closed. For D.C., two apples.*

By Jason Samenow  | March 1, 2009; 10:50 PM ET
Categories:  Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Snow Attempting Minor Come Back Western Suburbs
Next: Snow Picks Back Up, Windy...

Comments

First?

Big temp drop in Sterling.

Posted by: Sterlingva | March 1, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

First!

Posted by: Yellowboy | March 1, 2009 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Would you guys mind forcasting rain for the Nats home opener? I've got great seats and I'd really enjoy a nice sunny afternoon at the ballpark.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | March 1, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

Ah, Sterlingva!

I thought I was first. : (

Posted by: Yellowboy | March 1, 2009 10:54 PM | Report abuse

For DC, it shouldn't be red apples but green apples. It always snow harder everywhere else in contrast to DC.

Posted by: RedDevil1 | March 1, 2009 10:55 PM | Report abuse

"And [the angel's] appearance was like lightning, and his clothing as white as snow."
Matthew 28:3

I think I've posted all five Bible verses that have the word 'snow' in them tonight. Here's hoping God makes the CapWx forecast come true!

In the meantime, we've got about an inch on the deck here in McLean. It's possible that the car has a little more than that. Snow's still coming down heavily, and the radar is looking much better than it was just a few hours ago.

Posted by: KBurchfiel | March 1, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a DC native, and I'm as confused as ever. Can someone please explain to me why everyone is salivating over the prospect of snow?

When I lived in Ohio, snowstorms were measured in feet, not inches, and we HATED it. Winter was a time for laborious snow shoveling, canceled parties and trips due to impassible roads, and fatal traffic accidents.

I, for one, am glad that there isn't going to be a huge snowstorm this winter. Seriously, why do you want this?

(Not to mention the fact that, if we DID get a snowstorm, the city would be paralyzed beyond belief, because nobody knows how to handle snow here. You all presumably know this, and you still want it to happen?)

Posted by: stuckman | March 1, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the powerboater, can you make sure to forecast rain for the nats/sox series this summer? Oh and for a couple shows at nissan too. K thanks.

Posted by: hghjg221123 | March 1, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

Well, for what it's worth, it has snowed an inch or less here in Greenbelt, just barely east of I95.

Posted by: guez | March 1, 2009 10:59 PM | Report abuse

@ CWG, from a previous thread:

I see a dry slot approaching the area from the south which looks like it will end precipitation in two to three hours. Will we have a complete lull in precipitation during the early morning hours?

I am under the impression that the upper level low will intensify off the coast and provide some "throw-back" moisture which will be our second round of snow. Is this correct?

I am worried about the end to this batch of snow, and that the ULL does not seem very well-defined right now.

Posted by: Sterlingva | March 1, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

stuckman, we want it for the very reasons you suggest. We so rarely get it, that anything beyond a dusting is cause for celebration.

As for us not being able to handle it, surely we overreact more than necessary. But it's hard to be prepared for something that we never get to practice having.

Posted by: Terps98 | March 1, 2009 11:01 PM | Report abuse

It would be a nice surprise to wake up in the morning with more than 1/2" of snow on the ground (as we have now). It falls and melts, falls and melts. We have probably had 1"+ of snow tonight, but the accumulate a bit, then melt, lather, rinse, repeat process has kept that way down.

Recap of current school closings, as if you guys didn't know already:

MD Public Schools

King George Co Schools - VA - Closed
Orange Co Schools - VA - Closed
Pr William Co Schools - VA - Closed Emps Code Red
Spotsylvania Co Schools - VA - Closed
Stafford Co Schools - VA - Closed

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | March 1, 2009 11:02 PM | Report abuse

WOOOOW! The snow didn't start here in Carroll County intil 9:22pm and has very quickly turned to a heavy wind driven snow.Temps have dropped 7 degrees to 31 degrees. Coming home the snow was almost blizzard like conditions.

Posted by: jamesg2 | March 1, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

LOL ! What a night -- at least FFX School is out tomorrow but very little snow in Reston.

Just bring on Spring...please....

Posted by: photojenn | March 1, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Sue Palka just called for 4-7" in the DC area, more east. Says heaviest snow between 1-5 am.

Posted by: novajeffc | March 1, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Sorry for all of you who wanted a lot of snow. Here in the City of Fredericksburg we are continuing to have heavy snow and now the wind has picked up as well.

Posted by: MOMINTHEBURG | March 1, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Here is what I posted on the last thread right before you updated:

CWG, I love you.

I have a fun question. Hopefully it doesn't get buried under all the nowtrolling.

I live right on Connecticut Ave and noticed this fall that the trees lining the street didn't turn brown for weeks after the rest of the trees in my neighborhood did. They also held on to their brown leaves for months. Some of them are still clinging to old crumplies. Sometimes when I walk across the street on a cold day I can feel a dramatic increase in temperature when I walk across.

So. When I report precip type from my window, is it possible that what I'm seeing is different from what people a couple blocks east or west might be seeing? Especially in mixed precip events?

Right now it's snow outside, but I wonder if the accumulation totals outside my window are different, too.

Do you have time to answer? If not, I'll ask again one sunny boring day.

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | March 1, 2009 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Terps98: Well, not ALL of you overreact -- there are always the drivers who think they can drive 70MPH on a snow-covered highway. Hopefully they won't hit anyone when they spin out.

If only we could teach everyone to maintain a moderate 30MPH during snow, instead of having half the cars overreacting and driving 10MPH, and the rest underreacting and going 70.

Posted by: stuckman | March 1, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

2-5" inside the beltway sounds reasonable, but I wonder if the upper end of that is more likely. Most outlets are still holding to a general 4-8" forecast, relying mainly on the idea of a burst of heavier snow early tomorrow morning (say 2am-5am) as the Low currently in NC passes.

Thoughts on this from CWG? Is this likely, or is this just typical reluctance from forecast outlets to revise their forecasts?

Posted by: jahutch | March 1, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

When I watched the weather channel earlier, Jim Cantore was broadcasting from Charlotte, near the ULL. The snowflakes there were huge. I live near Burke, and we have had heavy snow but the flakes were small, which accounts for the low accumulation, although I would guess we have almost 2 inches at this point, and the sidewalks and non treated roads are white.

My question is, as the ULL moves north, shouldn't we expect heavier snow, and bigger flakes like they had in Charlotte. And as the low gets nearer to the ocean, won't this intensify? I also do see the dry area closing rapidly. I am not sure why you have reduced your forecast. The big snow was never supposed to come from the first wave anyway?

Posted by: SJMPARMAN | March 1, 2009 11:06 PM | Report abuse

I think the Mayor calling a snow emergency in a timely fashion jinxed this storm. Now that it is cancelled, watch out.

Posted by: epjd | March 1, 2009 11:07 PM | Report abuse

FedCast down to TWO? NOOOOOO!!!! I hope we at least get liberal leave.

Posted by: spyderjerusalem | March 1, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Laura-- If that side of your residence is south facing, that would explain it. The south facing side of a house always accumulates less snow and melts first. I suppose that could also impact trees/vegetation.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 11:08 PM | Report abuse

Wind just picked up about 15 minutes ago here in Adams Morgan. I live eight stories up facing NW and really notice it (and hear it) when winds increase. I think this is a good sign, at least for getting the temps down.

Posted by: elan_eux | March 1, 2009 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Streets still clear in Arlington neighborhood. I may have to move northward next year.

Posted by: ArlingtonSnowGal | March 1, 2009 11:10 PM | Report abuse

Gap in the radar approaching quickly.. Doesn't look like it's back filling.

Posted by: ZmanVA | March 1, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Great "revised forecast." There is no such thing as a meteorologist. These clowns have no idea what's going on. I can just look at a radar screen and predict the weather as well as they can. It's cliche, but they blew this one...again.

Posted by: accgrad | March 1, 2009 11:12 PM | Report abuse

Jason, thanks for the speedy answer! My apartment is south-facing, but since Connecticut is diagonal I can see both sides of Conn. from my window. The trees I'm talking about are the ones right along both sides of the ave. I wonder about this...

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | March 1, 2009 11:13 PM | Report abuse

First time posting. I am near La Plata, MD in Charles County. It has been snowing steadily since 4:00PM. Just measured snow on deck; 6.5 inches. I'd say CWG got it right. Wind is now really picking up, as well.

Posted by: can61 | March 1, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

I live in Baltimore county in reisterstown. It was not snowing for a while but has really picked up and we have around 1.5 inches. Wind is really blowing also. CWG any thoughts on whether the next batch of snow to our south could be a big one for us. I looked at a radar with low pressure labeled and a low pressure is associated with the snow to the south. Could this develop off of the coast?

Posted by: bkaestner1 | March 1, 2009 11:15 PM | Report abuse

Stuckman: Because we have joy in our souls, which you apparently lack?

Snow is pretty, it is a break from the norm, it's fun to play in, it presents the (increasingly unlikely for this storm, it seems) chance for an unexpected day off of work... what's not to like??

I already watched 60 Minutes, and had enough curmudgeon for one night. (Seriously, if he was not on TV, wouldn't everyone who met Andy Rooney think he was suffering from serious dementia?)

Posted by: JennX_ | March 1, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

ACCGRAD-

No. You couldn't.

Posted by: mason08 | March 1, 2009 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Purcellville, VA has seen just flurries in the past hour, no accumulation. I would say so far this storm is a bust. Yes we weren't getting the jackpot out here, but just flurries, that was not in the forecast....

Posted by: mbmurray | March 1, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

simple question-
does the school cast of 3 apples also count for Loudoun?

Posted by: Lauramul | March 1, 2009 11:17 PM | Report abuse

@jahutch

I think it will be tough to get 4-8" where I've revised down to 2-5." After the current batch of snow moves through in the next couple hours...we'll have a break...before one final batch. The final batch has some potential (has produced thundersnows in the south), but model guidance suggests it will weaken some.

@spyderjerusalem

Even though I downgraded FedCast, I still think there's a good chance the Gov will go with unscheduled leave just because of all of the schools that will be closed -- even if conditions downtown aren't horrible.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

We have little more than a coating on the grass here in SS/Takoma Park, and radar returns to the contrary, nothing is falling right now. It's going to have to come down really hard later to get up to 7" some outlets are calling for. That's fine with me, can't wait for mid-week warmup and spring. And Stuckman you are right. I grew up in Wisc. and am sick of snow for all the reasons you mention. I don't see what the big deal is...

Posted by: steske | March 1, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

accgrad....

Why don't you wait until morning until you start tossing darts? If you have been watching any of the newscasts, then you would see it is snowing pretty hard in several areas east of the city...just as predicted. Just because it isn't exactly as predicted over your head doesn't mean these guys don't know what they are talking about.

Sheesh folks. Just because YOU aren't getting the dumping of snow YOU wanted doesn't mean the forecast isn't a good one. Take a look at the posts from the previous update about folks driing in snow blowing sideways on roads that are treacherous. I know I drove through a heck of a snow dump about an hour ago, and that was in Loudon County, where there wasn't supposed to be much snow.

Gads, and I thought NASCAR fans were negative....

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | March 1, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

I'm on beer number 17. After number 16, it started snowing much harder. Thus, I will continue well past 20 beers.

I suggest you all join me. My pet alligator is.

Posted by: SnowMonsterDC | March 1, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Oh, and accgrad: I am fed up with people getting so pissed at meteorologists. Do you have any idea what you are talking about. Now, granted, I've only taken an introductory meteorology class, but it was enough to make me realize the hundreds of variables that result in the thing we call "weather." Meteorologists do the best they can to interpret these variables and come up with some likely scenarios, and technological advances have made these predictions easier and much more accurate in recent years, but it is still not perfect and never will be. Lay off, for pete's sake, and stop taking imperfect forecasts so personally.

(I think Andy Rooney wore off on me.)

Posted by: JennX_ | March 1, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

@Lauramul

No--actually I'd go two apples for Loudoun and Frederick (Md.) counties. Sorry :(

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

PS: Still snowing...and accumulating...here in S. Riding.

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | March 1, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

This is nuts. About thirty minutes ago the wind just shot up and the snow started pouring. The wife and I swear we saw a flash in the sky, but there was no thunder.

This is in California/Hollywood area in Maryland. We are stacking up the inches. We have gone beyond 5" I am fairly certain. Its hard to tell anymore without getting out there and measuring it. There is no visual basis for comparison as everything is covered in white. You can't tell where streets were and shrubs are just mounds of white.

Posted by: somdcommuter | March 1, 2009 11:21 PM | Report abuse

The snow is now starting to accumulate on the roads and sidewalks here in the City of Manassas. The snow fall is picking up though, still not what I would consider to be heavy. However, if this rate keeps up for a few hours, it might add up to 3 to 4 inches.

Posted by: irish031 | March 1, 2009 11:22 PM | Report abuse

My prediction for Alexandria: I will wake up at about 0900 and see maybe 2" on the ground...not quite the 5-10" I was hearing earlier. My $.02 says this storm is a total dud. Sure did enjoy watching all the folks go to the store for the requisite milk, bread, and enough supplies to ride out a Russian invasion.

Posted by: truyle | March 1, 2009 11:23 PM | Report abuse

CWG what do you rhink for baltimore county schools tomorow

Posted by: bkaestner1 | March 1, 2009 11:24 PM | Report abuse

HA! HA!

bkaestner1:

Don't you mean "think"? : )

Posted by: Yellowboy | March 1, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

any reports from the Blacksburg area? according to the radar they have been in a moderate/heavy band for the past few hours.

Posted by: jfva | March 1, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

wind is really picking up here by the bay just south of prince frederick in calvert. lights are flickering constantly now. time to break out the generator!

Posted by: Jambon99 | March 1, 2009 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Heavy snow in Lake Ridge - sticking to everything including sidewalks and main roads - all is white.

Posted by: ZmanVA | March 1, 2009 11:26 PM | Report abuse

Lay off, for pete's sake, and stop taking imperfect forecasts so personally.

=====

More importantly, stop taking imperfect forecasts as Word of God Gospel. There's a bloody reason that when you drill down into the NWS's data, it's mostly sets of probabilities.

Posted by: mason08 | March 1, 2009 11:27 PM | Report abuse

Come on CWG - pull some magic for us! The radar looks so non-promising.

Honestly, I think I'll comment on after the storm - but I seriously think its time to revise the model calculations. This is worse than last year.

My prediction for North Arlington - 2 inches total. Nothing more than the last clipper to roll though. See everyone at work tomorrow. :-(

Posted by: schrute | March 1, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

I think many (not all!) places in the immediate metro area -- say within 20 miles of downtown DC -- may pick a good 1/2" to 1" (or more) in the next hour before the snow shuts off for a couple hours and then the next band redevelops...

Posted by: Josh-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Current temp. in Burke: 30.9 and extremely windy and snowy.

WOW! It's really windy and it's snowing hard.

Posted by: Yellowboy | March 1, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse

Before I head to bed with the expectation that I'll be working tomorrow, I will note that my street (I live about 5-7 minutes from the Mason Fairfax campus) is completely covered in white now. 'Night everyone! Drive carefully tomorrow!

Posted by: spyderjerusalem | March 1, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

snow stopped here in Loudoun; temp dipped to 31 then back up to 32; still quite windy.

Posted by: glastonbury27 | March 1, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: redskinsfan01 | March 1, 2009 11:30 PM | Report abuse

Winds have picked up here in Westminster. We're up to about an inch. Two more to go and we reach the "low end" of our projected snowfall.

Posted by: olandob23 | March 1, 2009 11:31 PM | Report abuse

Beer number 19 now. The alligator is on number 6. We're starting to see double, which is jacking up the snow totals here in Silver Spring.

I need to get the lobster involved in this now. Be right back.

Posted by: SnowMonsterDC | March 1, 2009 11:32 PM | Report abuse

The real first "big" snow storm I remember growing up here was in 1977 or maybe it was 1978(Roots was on TV) and I believe the total amount was 17" to 20". We lived in Arlington right off of Glebe, and there was very little traffic on it for about a day or so after the storm ended.

It was something to walk up and down Glebe and not have to worry about the traffic. School was closed the entire week. I'll never forget the excitement of watching the TV every night for the school closings.

Posted by: irish031 | March 1, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

11:30pm update from Chevy Chase: moderate to, at times, periods of heavy snow; temperature is the coldest it's been so far tonight (30.0); 1.75" of snow. I believe that this time an hour from now we'll have at least 2.5" here. (Next update at midnight)

Posted by: Josh-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 11:34 PM | Report abuse

well, i am still hoping for something here in Arlington, but it's time for bed.

Thanks, CWG, for your great work!

Posted by: dinergirl | March 1, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Want to stay awake and watch this but too tired. If there was more light outside I would take a photo and send it in to y'all. Its amazing the difference in snowfall between those folks talking bust to the west and the heavy snow conditions we have here in Southern Maryland.

My boss, who lives in western D.C., is going to be raising her eyebrow when I say I am not making it in due to heavy snow and she has an inch or two. :-)

Posted by: somdcommuter | March 1, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

@ redskinsfan:

Here is a more realistic radar:

Posted by: Sterlingva | March 1, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Winds are already a factor here, and Channel 5 hasn't mentioned it yet. Dunno if that development is ahead of sked or not. We've got 1.5-2" out here (New Baltimore), but still, while everyone around us has cancelled, fauquier has not committed to close. 30 degrees, and we are in the dreaded dry slot, but i believe we will not be disappointed. You tell that to a kid with a his pjs on backwards and a handful of ice cubes .....

Posted by: weathergrrl | March 1, 2009 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ZmanVA | March 1, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

up to around 2 inches in resiterstown. snowing at a good clip. i have seen three snow plows go down my road. i think that we could pick up two more in this batch. it is redeveloping on the backside

Posted by: bkaestner1 | March 1, 2009 11:36 PM | Report abuse

Coming down hard in NW DC but still not sticking to the pavement.

Posted by: spacecadetkid | March 1, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Exactly zero snow has accumulated in downtown DC, and it looks like we will end up with none.

I'm all for giving the benefit of the doubt, but in 12 hours we've gone from 4-8 inches of snow to nothing. That's not just a bust- that's comical.

Posted by: bryc3 | March 1, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

19 beers and no typos? I don't believe you.

(Lucky dog -- gack I hate that I gave up drinking for Lent.)

No accumulation whatsoever here in Georgetown.

Snow is coming down lightly, but the streets are just wet.

Are we supposed to get clobbered in the wee hours or is this storm a dud?

Posted by: Georgetwoner | March 1, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

30.6 and snow picked up in Fairfax. On the heavy side of Moderate Snow. Tire tracks made 1/2 hour ago no longer visible.

Posted by: dudster89 | March 1, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

redskinsfan:

Unfortunately, please look here: http://radar.weather.gov/Conus/full_loop.php

Keep your heads up CWG - you went with the odds on this one and they backstabbed you. It was a very close call. Maybe next year. :-(

Posted by: schrute | March 1, 2009 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Heavy snow in Glover Park DC... best rates of the night right now.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 11:39 PM | Report abuse

Well, after that really huge burst lasting about 30-45 minutes, we don't have anything now. Still a good 5 inches or more, at least. Will hopefully wake up to round two doing another 2-3".

Night!

Posted by: somdcommuter | March 1, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

Current temp. in Burke: 30..6 and extremely windy and heavy snow.

ITS A BLIZZARD OUT THERE!

Posted by: Yellowboy | March 1, 2009 11:40 PM | Report abuse

do u think the dry slot will fill in

Posted by: redskinsfan01 | March 1, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

I gave up sobriety for Lent. It's going well.

20 beers now. Slowing down. But the pet alligator is up to 12. Quite the sight.

The lobster is insane. Wow, it's a blizzard out there now!

Posted by: SnowMonsterDC | March 1, 2009 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Definitely picked up here in Fairfax. 30 mins ago, just a few flakes here and there. Now it's coming down fast.

Go snow!

Posted by: saltydog75 | March 1, 2009 11:44 PM | Report abuse

Heavy snow and wind in Sterling... looks to end shortly, though.

I really don't know what to think about the coastal; I'm holding out hope that it will bring my area sig. snowfall.

Posted by: Sterlingva | March 1, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Snow is still falling at a pretty good rate here in the City of Manassas. The best rate all day.

Posted by: irish031 | March 1, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Heavy snow falling for the first time this year in Oakton, VA. Finally! I hope the backfilling of precipitation continues.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 11:45 PM | Report abuse

Very heavy snow in Lake Ridge, very strong winds. Yikes! I got a video in it, but a gust of wind and burst of snow caught me square in the face, and I had some not-so-nice language for that unexpected surprise, so I won't be posting the video. :P

We went from 1/2" to 2" in a short amount of time in Lake Ridge. Everything is completely covered.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | March 1, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse

Snowing pretty good right now in Falls Church. it's laying on the roads now here near the EFC Metro.

Posted by: jrodfoo | March 1, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Snow coming down hard and the wind is picking up. Finally sticking to the roads- Braddock is looking pretty white.

Posted by: kallieh | March 1, 2009 11:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm not sure what the effect will be further north and west, but make no mistake that there is some back-filling going on right now around Orange, Mineral, and Spotsylvania, VA and north and west of Charlottesville, VA. Unequivocally.

P.S. Temperature down to 28.6 in Chevy Chase. It's dropped nearly a degree and a half in 15 minutes...

Posted by: Josh-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 11:50 PM | Report abuse

The snow has definitely picked up near Burke. Really coming down hard right now, and flakes slightly larger. And the dry area is definitely filling in to the south.

Posted by: SJMPARMAN | March 1, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

Josh what part of CC are you in exactly?
I'm in Bethesda right before the MD side of CC and it is still 34???

Posted by: swimdude412 | March 1, 2009 11:52 PM | Report abuse

29.9 now (.7 degree drop in 15 mins) and it looks like a snowstorm in Fairfax! Wind has picked up significantly.

Posted by: dudster89 | March 1, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

I'm starting to see the first signs that snow is starting to accumulate on the streets here in upper NW. Not on Conn, but on my cross street. I imagine it will only accumulate in the parking lanes for a while yet, though.

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | March 1, 2009 11:53 PM | Report abuse

A moderate to fresh breeze is blowing
in Rose Hill, Fairfax Co. Moderate snow. Untreated road is beginning to accumulate.

Posted by: mason08 | March 1, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

Signing off. Good luck to everyone and their snow wishes. My wife and I hope to take advantage of a liberal leave day and nap. We be lazy! :-)

Come on backfilling....daddy needs a day long nap. Zzzzzzz.

Posted by: schrute | March 1, 2009 11:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm with bryc3. We have been told to expect as much as 10 inches in DC, and it looks like we will have NO accumulation except on grass. I feel so lame for having followed this story all day.

Posted by: heatherdc1980 | March 1, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

after the first batch ends when do you expect the second batch to get here

Posted by: redskinsfan01 | March 1, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm currently in Blacksburg - snow has been moderate to heavy for about 1 hour and is still falling. We have about 3 inches of new snow on the road (snow from the earlier storm melted before this part of the storm started). Snowflakes are medium-sized and fluffy. Very pretty :)

Posted by: icebat | March 1, 2009 11:56 PM | Report abuse

i am so glad the snow is coming down hard a little west of washington. that snow will track north right to my house and add to my snow total. this is going to be fun

Posted by: bkaestner1 | March 1, 2009 11:57 PM | Report abuse

HEAVY snow here in Silver Spring... Roads are finally being covered!

Posted by: SkywalkerSS | March 1, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Snowing like crazy here now in my eastern-ish Loudoun location, and 26.5 degrees. It's blowing around, and beautiful. Wheeee!

Posted by: natsncats | March 1, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Still quite confused... I do not see the ULL developing; and it looks like it is nearly stationary in North Carolina.

Oh well, all I can do is pray.

Heavy snow with a breeze for the moment, but it looks to end within half an hour.

Posted by: Sterlingva | March 1, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

Looks like a white out right now from the height of a condo in Reston Town Center. Heavy snow, can barely see Reston Hospital two blocks over, streets covered.

Go backfill, go. Go, go, go!

Posted by: snowchic | March 1, 2009 11:58 PM | Report abuse

@swimdude412, I'm in Chevy Chase just one mile exactly north and west from the NW DC/MD border (zip = 20815). I'm using WeatherBug temperatures from the closest station (~1/4 mile away), which are typically more accurate than home thermometers (more advanced equipment). Also the nearest station when I input my zip into Wunderground.com is only 0.3 degrees difference, adding credibility to (both) readings.

Posted by: Josh-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

I should have also said that the pavements are now covered.

Posted by: natsncats | March 1, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

To this uneducated person, it appears the upper-level low never caught up with the surface low, contrary to what the computer models suggested would happen. As Warren Buffett said in a different context, "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."

Posted by: landlaw | March 1, 2009 11:59 PM | Report abuse

Even though it's filling in to the south, the precip appears to be going from the southeast to the northwest (southeast is where the gap in the precip is).

Posted by: ZmanVA | March 2, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, anybody who dared call this a bust should be banned from commenting on here for at least a month. I have a band wagon you can jump on, there will be a march for it tomorrow.

Posted by: TheMot | March 2, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

To those from Indiana and Wisconsin who live in DC: I'm a DC native who lives in Minnesota. I always think it's a shame that snow is so ho hum in these parts. That it's still special, magical and exciting to those in DC is a good thing. Rooting for your snow... from 1100 miles away (where it's 11 degrees with no snow falling).

Posted by: eddiedog2 | March 2, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Been snowing hard in Bethesda for the last 30-45 minutes. Went from no snow cover to everything, including the street, covered with snow.

Seems like we're trying to make up for lost time here.

Posted by: JJS3 | March 2, 2009 12:00 AM | Report abuse

=====

Not here at CWG, you weren't. Don't think that their earlier posts aren't easily available.

Posted by: mason08 | March 2, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Heavy snow and wind in Sterling

Posted by: kridgely | March 2, 2009 12:01 AM | Report abuse

Fell asleep! Checked yard ten minutes ago: four-five inches of wet snow...still coming down. Starting to stick.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | March 2, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Our snowstorms frequently seem to be late bloomers... Very wintry scene in upper NW now...wind-whipped snow and temp down to 30.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 2, 2009 12:02 AM | Report abuse

Snow finally starting to stick to roads in Parkfairfax area of Alexandria. Intensity of snow is on and off..snowing like mad one minute, sort of flurries the next. But overall picking up, finally. Maybe we'll see 2.5"

Posted by: truyle | March 2, 2009 12:03 AM | Report abuse

CWG doing a great job. One thing I'd like to point out again to all of the gripers is that it's really hard to nail down the locus of snows with this type of storm as so many variables come into play. Right now for instance the snow is considerably drier here in Ballston than it was earlier as the temperature's dropping at the surface and is probably considerably colder aloft than it was earlier. The snow earlier this evening was much wetter. This matter's a lot for accumulations. Earlier the snow to water ration was probably about 5" to 1" now it's probably gone up to 7" and climbing. This makes all the difference in the world. In the so-called Storm of the Century in '93 the ratio was almost 60" to 1" as in Harrisonburg there was 15" of snow and only .25" to maybe .50" of water equivalent.

Posted by: VirgilCaine | March 2, 2009 12:04 AM | Report abuse

===

Context is key. Predicting the weather is all formulas and educated guesses.

Posted by: mason08 | March 2, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

the view out my backdoor in Calvert by the bay:

4.5 inches thus far...

Posted by: Jambon99 | March 2, 2009 12:06 AM | Report abuse

Midnight update from Chevy Chase: now 2.25" of snow (up 1/2" in half-hour --> 1/hr snowfall rate); getting quite breezy and temperature is down to 27.8 (down 2.2 degrees in 30 minutes). Assuming this keeps up for another 30-40 minutes, as I believe it will, I think I may hit 3" around or just slightly after 12:30am...

Posted by: Josh-CapitalWeatherGang | March 2, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

CWG thanks for the great information. The next update let's have the fedcast a 3 or 4 :...keep up the good work.

Posted by: TextileWolf | March 2, 2009 12:08 AM | Report abuse

Near Annapolis; very little snow accumulation (

Posted by: RandC | March 2, 2009 12:09 AM | Report abuse

so CWG in resiterstown i should expect what you guys in north virginia and washington are experiencing now. The dry slot is closing quickly!

Posted by: bkaestner1 | March 2, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

The rate here in the City of Manassas has really dropped off almost to nothing but very fine flakes.

Posted by: irish031 | March 2, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse

Near Annapolis; very little snow accumulation (less than 0.25 inch of very wet snow on the deck), but it has been extremely heavy rate of fall. Snow is 100% sideways. We have more on the windows than on the lawn. Winds are holding steady at around 20mph from the NE (the anemometer is somewhat shielded by proximity to the house).

(silly blog...doesn't take less than symbols...)

Posted by: RandC | March 2, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Still a heavy wind driven snow in carroll county at 12:00am and temp is down to 28 degrees. Temp was 38 degrees when snow started at 9:22.

Posted by: jamesg2 | March 2, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

Been snowing since 2pm here in NW Spotsy. 1.5". Still light snow, 32. Usually get more snow than downtown Fredericksburg, but they may got more this time.

Posted by: VaTechBob | March 2, 2009 12:11 AM | Report abuse

looking at the radar, it looks like there will be another small lull here soon from that other batch from NC coming up. Am I seeing this correctly? In Falls Church by the EFC metro and the wind is picking up too. 29 degrees

Posted by: jrodfoo | March 2, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

Oh...not good.

Power is flickering.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | March 2, 2009 12:14 AM | Report abuse

More info:

Sounds like snow is mixing with sleet now. Temperature is 31F. When the storm started it was 33F-34F. We're getting heavily effected by spray off the bay, which is affecting accumulations, and also helping moderate temperature as the bay is close to 36F.

Posted by: RandC | March 2, 2009 12:15 AM | Report abuse

I've seen a couple flashes out there...thundersnow? But have not heard thunder.

Posted by: truyle | March 2, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

@Josh
Hmm I'm in 20814
Guess the snow gods aren't as nice to us here!

Posted by: swimdude412 | March 2, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Here in Arnold it is 30 F, with winds gusting around 20mph. We have 3.5" of snow here on all surfaces except pavement which has about 2.75". The snow has slowed considerably now to not much more than a flurry.

Posted by: arnoldkh | March 2, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

still heavy snow and power is now flickering here in Herndon. Only about 1.5 inches on the ground though... parking lots are covered, and so is my neighborhood street.

Posted by: markinva | March 2, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

@weatherdudeVA: Had the same thing here about 10 minutes ago. Thought I might have been seeing thundersnow when the sky lit up, but seconds later the power flickered. I'm guessing a transformer blew somewhere nearby.

Posted by: RandC | March 2, 2009 12:16 AM | Report abuse

Anyone know if there's any chance of thundersnow left?

Posted by: swimdude412 | March 2, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Courthouse, Arlington, VA - 12:15 AM, we have 2+ inches of snow, and a lot of drifting snow. That wind is fierce. Also, major streets are now covered as Wilson Blvd. is totally covered.

Posted by: ohioexile | March 2, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

snow coming down heavy in Alexandria and also having the power flickers.

Posted by: TextileWolf | March 2, 2009 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Just took the pet alligator and lobster for a walk around the block. Whoooowheeee is it coming down! The lobster got scared and ate the alligator, then stole my 23rd beer. I'm going to have to start drinking the hard stuff after this one. About 4 inches on the ground now, but the beer is making it feel like two feet. OPM can you hear me?

Posted by: SnowMonsterDC | March 2, 2009 12:19 AM | Report abuse

OK in a matter of minutes Connecticut Ave got covered with white while my side street is still black. That's a surprise!

I only found that out because I heard someone totally skidding out on it and went to the window to look.

Did they not even bother to salt Connecticut??

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | March 2, 2009 12:21 AM | Report abuse

Textile Wolf- I think you are really close to me in Alexandria. I'm getting lots of power flickers right now. I will not be a happy girl if the power goes out.

Posted by: kallieh | March 2, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Current temp. in Burke: 28.9 with flurries.

SnowMonsterDC,

If you're telling the truth, that's an unhealthy dosage of alcohol. Please take better car of yourself.

Posted by: Yellowboy | March 2, 2009 12:23 AM | Report abuse

Onto vodka now. Is it the liquor, or are my lights starting to flicker? There are also some rumbles outside. Is it thunder or are the Russians coming?

Posted by: SnowMonsterDC | March 2, 2009 12:24 AM | Report abuse

It is moments like this that I wonder whether I have an addiction. After every dud storm I swear off weather sites and then I find myself coming back. I love CWG and the guys here are the best good natured informed calm people doing weather.

Due to dc's storm killing tendencies I have relied on the following equation based on watching CWG and living in South Arlington. I wonder why the models get it wrong so I put the following together.

South Arlington Snow Amount =

For this storm at the Hype (See 2:45pm CWG Posting), Arlington was to get 4-8 inches. Using the equation we will get 4 inches of snow max. It looks like its going that way.

Posted by: shackleton | March 2, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Lights flickering at my house in Burke.

Posted by: Yellowboy | March 2, 2009 12:25 AM | Report abuse

Oh no, snowmonster. Don't you know what they say? Beer before liquor...

I hope you don't end up spending the rest of this storm in the detox ward!

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | March 2, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Yellowboy, of course I'm telling the truth. Haven't you seen a hungry lobster before? God rest my alligator's precious soul. This one is for my homie down below.

The trees outside are coated with almost an inch of very heavy snow. Starting to look very droopy.

Lots of commotion outside. Not sure what it is.

Posted by: SnowMonsterDC | March 2, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Snowing here in Olney.

Posted by: celestun100 | March 2, 2009 12:29 AM | Report abuse

Backfill, baby.

You can hear, hear it coming...
Like a train, out of control...

There's no more Newcastle in this section of Alexandria. Ruffner Road is now coated, and awaiting additional cover.

No power surges in the past 10 minutes.

The dog signals time for bed. She knows our day starts early tomorrow. Got to get up early to get the freshies.

Posted by: lingering_lead | March 2, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

SnowMonsterDC: Obviously the lobster doesn't have much say in the world anymore, but how does the alligator like the snow? I had a pet narwhal a few years back and it LOVED the snow!

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | March 2, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

We've had borderline whiteout conditions for the last 60-90 minutes here in Vienna/central Fairfax County. On the radar, it looks like a wraparound from the heavy stuff E of DC....the low center, on radar at least, looks like it is going right over the top of us. Earlier, there was a big batch of thunderstorms over ehe Bay and Delmarva...another sign of the closeness of the low center and its warm sector.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | March 2, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse

Minutes ago: First salt/plow truck on secondary street in Takoma Park... How soon before weather-prediction naysayers switch gears to gripe about snow-clearing?

Posted by: Goombay | March 2, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

4.5 inches here in Fredericksburg now.

Posted by: morris4903 | March 2, 2009 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Oh no, the alligator already bit the dust??

Anyway, I wish I could report snow totals here but it's hard to tell from 6 floors up. The tree outside my window has about a solid inch on it though.

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | March 2, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Lots of commotion outside. Not sure what it is.
===

Duh.... Snowball fight.

Posted by: mason08 | March 2, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

No flickers here near burke. But noticed the minute the low hit the coast, the filling in occured. I see at least 3 more inches to come over night, maybe more.

Posted by: SJMPARMAN | March 2, 2009 12:33 AM | Report abuse

Snowing moderately here in Rockville, snow sticking on pavement for the last 45 minutes or so...windy too.

Posted by: jeremytunis | March 2, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

update from Calvert....i took this vid about an hour ago:

the lull has now arrived though and the wind has died down.

Posted by: Jambon99 | March 2, 2009 12:35 AM | Report abuse

The brown squirrel seems to be having fun.

But your mileage may vary.

Posted by: lingering_lead | March 2, 2009 12:37 AM | Report abuse

Interesting situation. Arctic front crossed area. Anyone look at pressures around Norfolk? Were crashing with 8mb falls + 60mph wind gusts. Another small sfc low located west of Wilmington NC.

It's pretty clear that ULL influence is causing snow from PW County on SW to come to the NW. That my friends will provide uplift with SE to NW flow..enough to fill the area in to the SW of DC. Deformation zone apparent from Lynchburg to trying to get into FF County. Great cooling upstairs--squeeze that moisture out, so snow ratios are going up quick.

"We ain't out of the woods on this yet" for the local DC area. But warm ground and the Arctic front being hung-up for a bit tonight may mean that the early snow was for nought.

Also sun angle is high. Even given real cold/blustery later in the day today, roads should be ok after ULL stuff goes by.

-Vortmax1

Posted by: vortmax1 | March 2, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Lake Ridge is at 3" of snow now. Light, fine snowflakes falling...but it's wind-driven now.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | March 2, 2009 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Wow, the wind is crazy now. I hope the tree doesn't fall on my igloo. I better start moving my bottles to safe zones around the yard.

The lobster is eyeing me now. This is not good.

Posted by: SnowMonsterDC | March 2, 2009 12:40 AM | Report abuse

@Vortmax

Nice report and I agree. Thanks...

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 2, 2009 12:41 AM | Report abuse

12:30 update from Chevy Chase: slightly more than 2.6"; down to 26.5 degrees; all surfaces, paved or otherwise, including streets, covered. Intensity has dropped back to light/moderate from moderate/heavy, but I'm encouraged by what I see on regional radar, etc. On that note, I *think* -- one never knows ;) -- that that about does it for me for tonight. I predict, at least here in Chevy Chase, when I wake up, I'll have more than double the amount I have now, so >5".

...I do wonder what the naysayers will be saying tomorrow

Ciao!

Posted by: Josh-CapitalWeatherGang | March 2, 2009 12:42 AM | Report abuse

One hundred fifty-ninth!

Posted by: SnowMonsterDC | March 2, 2009 12:43 AM | Report abuse

The naysayers will be back to bashing Bush... it being Monday and all.

Posted by: lingering_lead | March 2, 2009 12:44 AM | Report abuse

Having followed the comments on here for better part of a day, I have to simply laugh at the patent absurdity of the critics and naysayers. Forecasting is an imperfect science, hence the range of predictions (4-8 inches) as well as the disclaimer by the CWG that these numbers could be higher or lower depending on the storm track and other conditions.

Beyond that, as I look out my window in Cleveland Park, I would note that we've been getting a steady snow for better part of two hours, and the pavement and sidewalks are now well-covered. My unscientific estimate would be that we have gotten 2-3 inches. Add another inch or so in the final blast and we're well within the low range of the CWG's predictions. A bit disappointing but that's life. If you want monster snow storms move north.

Somebody explain to me what's wrong with those people who feel the irrational need to blast the weather forecasters.

Posted by: dh2009 | March 2, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

We've goat about 2-3 inches on the grassy areas here in beautiful downtown Dumfries, but about an inch or so on the road. It'll be real interesting to see if I can make it up the hill next to my house to get to work. Here's hoping for at least a day home in what snow we have with the little one (age 5) before flying out. The 15 yr old will probably sleep thru most of the day now...

Posted by: southbridgemom | March 2, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

Very interesting enhancement taking place from Dale City to Springfield VA to central DC and up to just east of the Montco/PG line.

-vortmax

Posted by: vortmax1 | March 2, 2009 12:46 AM | Report abuse

snow has stopped at the 495 - 270 spur.....have almost 2 inches..... wow montgomery county schools may have a problem..cause its way cold....what do you all think of the next band? thanks CWG... u guys rock

Posted by: dskelly1 | March 2, 2009 12:47 AM | Report abuse

Russians coming? Try a white Russian -- they like that everso.

Quarter inch if that on the sidewalks in Georgetown and now flurries.

Posted by: Georgetwoner | March 2, 2009 12:47 AM | Report abuse

The women smiled when they heard they could get six inches tonight.

Posted by: whocares666 | March 2, 2009 12:50 AM | Report abuse

Oh and this just in from Alert DC:

"DDOT reports the Snow Emergency for the District has been lifted."

Posted by: Georgetwoner | March 2, 2009 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Good grief -- spell much?!?! I meant to say we've got about 3 inches of snow. You'd think I'd been drinking with snowmonster! :) Sorry about that folks. Looks like it's slacking off a bit here. We lost our DirectTV signal until about 5 min ago due to snow. We're coming back, although pixelated. Come on snow, bring it on!!!

Posted by: southbridgemom | March 2, 2009 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Personally, I think Montco schools will close. Here's a thing to think about not related to snow but relatec to Montco schools. Recall, schools close for tropical storm conditions (e.g. Isabel etc.) I guess they worry about wind.

So, why, when we go under a rare high wind warning for the area, aren't the schools closed? They never close for high wind warnings, yet I'd argue that those situations can be worse than remnant tropical storms.

Just a thought on a snowy night!

-Vortmax

Posted by: vortmax1 | March 2, 2009 12:51 AM | Report abuse

Interesting enhancement right over DC now that has blown up over the last 10-20 minutes. We could see some fun convective stuff through the rest of the night.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | March 2, 2009 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Snow has slowed down a bit here and lanes on Connecticut are turning blacker with every car that passes. This has been one fickle snowstorm!

Kinda makes you think we ought to just wait till it's over before we make sweeping judgments about the quality of the forecast...

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | March 2, 2009 12:57 AM | Report abuse

What is "convective stuff"

Posted by: swimdude412 | March 2, 2009 12:58 AM | Report abuse

A Dusting in the greater Leesburg Metroplex.

I waited all day for this?!

Looks like at least another 225 days or so before I start even thinking about snow again.

A few reminders from the fall:

The squirrels seem to be eating at the pumpkins - could this be a sign of a snowy winter. GUESS WHAT FOLKS....WE HAVE THE ANSWER! NO!

LET IT RAIN!

Rainman

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | March 2, 2009 12:58 AM | Report abuse

2nd band?

Posted by: dskelly1 | March 2, 2009 12:58 AM | Report abuse

southwestern Virginia getting slammed tonight!!

Posted by: jfva | March 2, 2009 1:00 AM | Report abuse

At a glance at the top of the page says high on Tuesday is 13? and low 31..... lease pdon't freak out the old folks ....come on.....still good job for all that intricate html... and cwg

Posted by: dskelly1 | March 2, 2009 1:02 AM | Report abuse

when do we expect the second batch

Posted by: redskinsfan01 | March 2, 2009 1:02 AM | Report abuse

SnowMonsterDC -may I join you? I'd like to raise a glass to your alligator. I'll bring my pet goat and rock lobster.

I live in S. Arlington near S. Walter Reed/Col. Pike and it's windy, the snow has covered the streets, and I'm guessing at least an inch has fallen. Hoping to sleep in tomorrow!

Posted by: isitsnowingyet | March 2, 2009 1:02 AM | Report abuse

google chrome browser .. see above

Posted by: dskelly1 | March 2, 2009 1:02 AM | Report abuse

Vortmax, I know that HoyaFan (a regular commenter on CWG usually just before or during snow events) would be happy to hear that you think MoCo schools will be closing - although I don't think he/she will be up at this hour to hear your prediction. ;)

Posted by: VAStateOfMind | March 2, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Three inches on grassy areas here in Bethesda with half-an-inch on the neighborhood roads (not sure about main roads). Still snowing, but just barely. Looking forward to the second batch!

Posted by: nlcaldwell | March 2, 2009 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Wind picked up and still snowing at a good clip here in Alexandria.

Posted by: TextileWolf | March 2, 2009 1:06 AM | Report abuse

around when should the second batch hit MoCo?

Posted by: swimdude412 | March 2, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

Three inches and snowing heavily with the wind howling here in Kingstowne (just east of Springfield).

Posted by: adctvmonkey | March 2, 2009 1:09 AM | Report abuse

wife justed pointed out that i am color blind.....red warmer.....blue colder...wow feel like a chump.....

Posted by: dskelly1 | March 2, 2009 1:11 AM | Report abuse

Lighter flurries now in Falls Church but still coming down. Wind really kicking up. Snow got ahead of the plows for a while, leaving Broad Street a lovely, unplowed white blanket. Evergreen tree branches starting to bow under weight of snow, laying across phone lines on the back streets. There's an unscientific 4 to 4.5" in the back yard. Solid 1" on the blacktop. 26.5F - and dropping everytime I look up.

My faith in science reaffirmed again, I go to sleep the sleep of 7 year olds with snowmen to build and snowballs to throw.

Posted by: MiltonWaddams | March 2, 2009 1:11 AM | Report abuse

25.6 and wind more gusty in Fairfax. Starting to see some snow pellets (not sure that's the official term) coming down. But generally light snow. Lights started flickering again.

Posted by: dudster89 | March 2, 2009 1:12 AM | Report abuse

lingering_lead

That's prob the funniest thing I've ever read on CWG, I wish it was a slower weather day so everybody could enjoy that one!

I scoff at the "bust"-ites out there, the attention span today is sad, if it's not a horrid event it's dissapointing to the simpletons. I hear the Daily Show is on though...

Posted by: TheMot | March 2, 2009 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Whoops, how long has the next update been up?

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | March 2, 2009 1:15 AM | Report abuse

Rainman- Squirrels eating the pumpkins is just a sign of a cold winter. Which we've had. Anyone claiming it meant snow was just wishful thinking :-P

Still snowing heavily in Alex. City. Have been watching Braddock Rd all night, the plows aren't keeping up as well anymore and the street is pretty covered. I'd say about 2 inches.

Posted by: kallieh | March 2, 2009 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Question for the new Prez. If you don't think there are ANY people in the DC metro area in need of liberal leave tomorrow you are not thinking clearly.

Posted by: SJMPARMAN | March 2, 2009 1:22 AM | Report abuse

LOL - NWS has our area (22315) under BOTH a Winter Storm WARNING and Winter Storm WATCH right now... http://bit.ly/yw81g

Posted by: VAStateOfMind | March 2, 2009 1:29 AM | Report abuse

NWS has taken down the simultaneous watch/warning - we're only in "warning" status now. ;)

Posted by: VAStateOfMind | March 2, 2009 1:32 AM | Report abuse

Snowing in College Park, tiny and fast flakes...total accumulation now looks to be 6 inches...blowing moderately....secondary streets salted and plowed.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | March 2, 2009 4:07 AM | Report abuse