The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 12:30 PM ET, 03/ 4/2009

Snowstorm Comments: Best of...

By Ann Posegate

Record number of comments received

* Warming Up: Full Forecast | Weather Checker Grades Snow Forecast *

Over the three-day period 2/28-3/2, Capital Weather Gang received an unprecedented 1,895 reader comments. The comments reflected a roller coaster of emotions, especially from our snow enthusiast contingent, evolving from skepticism, to cautious optimism, to excitement, to fear, to dejection, and ultimately to relief and satisfaction. While some of the comments were on the harsh side when the storm at first seemed to be fizzling, all in all we had some really interesting and fun discussions. Thanks to all for participating.

And here's a "best of" sampling of your comments...

Most Excited

This is ridiculous...I am so pumped about a major winter event and all the dynamics that I can't get to sleep. I am pushing 40 years of age and I am still like a kid excited about the SNOW!
Posted by: stinkerflat1 | March 1, 2009 1:14 AM

WOOO HOOO!!!! 2 HR DELAY!!!! Sleep in! WOO HOOO!
Posted by: hoyafan516 | March 2, 2009 5:51 PM

Keep reading for a whole lot more...

A snow-covered bench in Dupont Circle Monday morning. By CWG photographer Ian Livingston.

Most Resentful of Snow

Annapolis, MD: 10:10 PM, 38.8F, and the sleet started recently. The temp has not varied by more than a few degrees all day, and I'm hoping that will continue. Bah humbug on the snow forecast! Time for spring!
Posted by: ceblakeney | February 28, 2009 10:11 PM

Since I'm an emergency manager in the District and I'm from Florida, I root against all snowstorms! I bet that there are lots and lots of other people out there who don't mind if we go for years without a single winter precipitation event, and almost always root for snowstorms to miss us! On behalf of all of them, I'd like you to urge you all to consider your singificant anti-snow readership in the future when you put pen to paper :)
Posted by: kevink3 | February 28, 2009 9:45 AM

Most Honest

I can't read a map to save my life...So, here is my extremely stupid question. What can Silver Spring expect? I don't know which direction that is from DC or if it counts as immediate Metro or what????? I feel no shame admitting this. I would rather admit I don't know and get an answer then be left clueless. Thank you.
Posted by: epjd | March 1, 2009 2:54 PM

It is moments like this that I wonder whether I have an addiction. After every dud storm I swear off weather sites and then I find myself coming back. I love CWG...
Posted by: shackleton | March 2, 2009 12:25 AM

i don't shovel my driveway and sidewalks - i harvest...
Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | March 2, 2009 8:48 AM

Most Random

The kids are psyched...Making ice cubes for the toilet right now!
Posted by: Alexandria2009 | March 1, 2009 3:35 PM

Hate those days when I have to struggle with the snow shovel and still show up at the office when I could be home eating scrambled eggs and drinking a martini.
Posted by: greyparrot | March 1, 2009 5:22 PM

Come baby come baby baby come come, you know you gotta gimme lovin' and you gotta gimme some....
Posted by: lioninzion | March 1, 2009 6:42 PM

I want some of whatever bunce is smoking.
Posted by: JTF- | March 1, 2009 2:10 PM

Everyone has made a forecast that didn't pan out....which just means no one around here has any skillzz....Napoleon Dynamic skills, like bow hunting seem to be more accurate.
Posted by: cooldavej | March 1, 2009 10:05 PM

I'm on beer number 17. After number 16, it started snowing much harder. Thus, I will continue well past 20 beers. I suggest you all join me. My pet alligator is.
Posted by: SnowMonsterDC | March 1, 2009 11:20 PM

...Beer number 19 now. The alligator is on number 6. We're starting to see double, which is jacking up the snow totals here in Silver Spring.
11:32 PM

Out-of-Towners

...This is killing me....I'm from Wisconsin and this is not a winter storm!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: fire3 | March 1, 2009 8:06 PM

Sigh. This Montana gal is pleased at the thought of March Madness, the white stuff.
Posted by: CollegequaParkian | March 1, 2009 1:39 AM

Perspective from the NM mountains: DC area is totally unprepared for snow events. My suggestion to the roads dept or whatever is to stockpile mountains of red cinders, that is what we use here. 2--4 inches. A mere bagatelle.

Posted by: dotellen | March 2, 2009 8:24 AM

Most Poetic

Fluffy majesty, kickable shin high piles and the laughter of kids sledding in laundry baskets for the morning walk...With the last flurries coming down out there, it's definitely a snow globe world.
Posted by: MiltonWaddams | March 2, 2009 9:19 AM

Most Humorous

It is way too warm....When in drought...

Posted by: SnowMonsterDC | March 1, 2009 4:06 PM

It's 5:38. Do you know where your snow is? 'Cuz it ain't in Centreville....
Posted by: jkuchen | March 1, 2009 5:38 PM

Go 'head lion. You tell that Low Pressure "Who's yo' daddy!"
Posted by: gen_coz | March 1, 2009 6:47 PM

As Warren Buffett said in a different context, "Beware of geeks bearing formulas."
Posted by: landlaw | March 1, 2009 11:59 PM

Most Thoughtful

you know, i'm sure the tv weathermen are mostly good meteorologists. they've just got so many non-weather concerns. they probably miss doing real meteorology like the capwx people get to do.
Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | March 1, 2009 11:57 AM

Our poor little crocuses... I knew they were being too optimistic when they sprang up last week.
Posted by: pundito | March 1, 2009 3:07 AM

Best Theatrical Performances

I am coming to get you, DC! Rarrrrrrrr!
Posted by: SnowMonsterDC | March 1, 2009 12:38 PM

Not looking good...not looking good at all! This has the Price is Right Loser Sound Effect potential: Bummm, Bummmm, Baaaa, Bummmmm!
Posted by: stinkerflat1 | March 1, 2009 4:45 PM

This is a nothing...It dies here in Fredericksburg. Nothing happening. A tease, and then, death.

Posted by: Duke-of-Fredericksburg | March 1, 2009 8:06 PM

Most Creative New Word

I am proud of my curmudgeonliness!
Posted by: Curmudgeon4 | March 1, 2009 4:55 PM

Best Name

Hi everyone, Buster Dryground here...
Posted by: snowynbuster | March 1, 2009 7:49 AM

Best Forecast

Being in C'ville, I'm somewhat resigned to being on the low side (and at risk of getting

As for predictions:

C'ville: 4
Culpeper: 6
IAD: 5
DCA: 7
BWI: 6

Posted by: cvilleSnowMan | March 1, 2009 9:20 AM

(Actual accumulations -- rounding to the nearest inch -- were 6" at all three airports. So cVilleSnowMan was just off 1" at DCA and IAD and nailed BWI. Nice job!)

Most Logical

I'm in the Charlotte area this AM and the forecast is for 5 to 10 inches of snow depending on where you are and when the changeover occurs. Possible thunder is mentioned in the forecast. Also, since the precip could be more convective down here, we could get alternating periods of rain and heavy wet snow today before the changeover to all snow. We already had one thunderstorm around 5 AM with a temp of 34F. What's interesting to me is that the forecasts for CLT and DCA are so similar, especially for Sunday night; that doesn't happen too often, especially in March for 35 degrees north latitude.
Posted by: Pianokey | March 1, 2009 8:23 AM

You cannot seriously blame the temp drop in the last hour on the front. It's because the *sun went down*. It would go down even if no precipitation was on it's way.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | March 1, 2009 6:06 PM

Most Superstitious

Clearly, this snow event is in the cards for us because I wore my "I live for snow days" t-shirt to school yesterday...
Posted by: HistoryTchr | February 28, 2009 11:47 AM

You can thank me for the snow. I put the kids' snow disks in the attic Thursday.
Posted by: ASColletti | March 1, 2009 4:01 AM

Most Nervous

Please help me so I don't freak - supposed to take Amtrak from BWI to NYC monday 11am arriving 2pm on Monday. Will we be OK departing? travelling? arriving? Stressing...
Posted by: Post43 | February 28, 2009 4:29 PM

this is scaring me all i see in here in takoma park is sleet and rain when do i expect the changeover??? plz reply
Posted by: redskinsfan01 | March 1, 2009 6:06 PM

Most Desperate for Snow

...I am a federal contractor at the NIH and I hate my job. I would be forever indebted to you if you contacted Mother Nature and asked her to dump as much snow as possible on us.
Posted by: authorofpoetry | February 28, 2009 3:22 PM

How come Bethesda is expecting 3-7 and like everyone else is expecting 4-8 or 4-9????? WE NEED 9 INCHES! Go ahead and fill in the apple!
Posted by: hoyafan516 | March 1, 2009 9:02 AM

Just shut up!! ITS GOING TO SNOW!
Posted by: snowlover | March 1, 2009 6:20 PM

Posted by: hoyafan516 | March 1, 2009 7:44 PM

what the @!%!%$!!!!! it STOPPED here in falls church. this cannot be happening.
Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | March 1, 2009 8:17 PM

Most Sarcastic

Oh my God!!!! Snow!!!! Quick, stock up on beer, bread, milk and toilet paper!!!!!!! We may never dig out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Posted by: MajorConfusion | February 28, 2009 4:00 PM

I am totally amazed that it ever snows in the D.C. metro area, given all the hot air blowing out of the District from those lobbyists, legislators, policy institutes, etc.
Posted by: isenberg888 | March 1, 2009 1:00 PM

...The Today Show forecast? You might as well ask your neighbor.
Posted by: MKadyman | February 28, 2009 8:43 AM

Ouch

The local TV mets must be on crack...
Posted by: worldtraveler | March 1, 2009 9:43 AM

...As if there were any precision in predicting weather...
Posted by: mason08 | March 1, 2009 5:38 PM

One thing that bothers me is the fact that we haven't gotten a Forecast Discussion update from Sterling in over 4 hours. This is the season's main event - get some thoughts out there guys!...Heck, even SPC out of Norman, OK has a more recent comment about the dynamics around here than these guys do.
Posted by: 125WMARION | March 1, 2009 7:37 PM

Nice job guys . . . you blew it again. I know, I know . . . Washington DC weather is soooo hard to accurately forecast.
Posted by: lcaudle1 | March 1, 2009 7:47 PM

Is there actually any science involved at all in forecasting winter storms, or is it really just a total crapshoot?
Posted by: spacecadetkid | March 1, 2009 9:47 PM

Biggest Skeptics

Unless this starts to tilt or the dry slot to our west fills in quickly, I think we may be in for the biggest disappointment yet this winter.
Posted by: 300_sq_ft | March 1, 2009 4:13 PM

I'm surprised at how many seasoned DC vets are buying into this storm. The rule over the years has been that if the storm can miss us, it will.

Posted by: jaydreb1 | February 28, 2009 6:37 PM

I know you're all hoping, but unless those temps drop significantly, there will be little accumulation. I for one am not hoping...Anyway, the snow is fun to look at, but I'm hoping for a complete bust.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | March 1, 2009 10:02 AM

I'll believe it when I see it. My broken clock is more accurate than the weather forecasters in this area -- okay, that may be a bit harsh, but it does seem as if every time snowfall like this is predicted, the prognosticators get it wrong...

Posted by: wtdoor | March 1, 2009 10:13 AM

I want the snow - I do. But this is gonna be a BUST. This place is simply famous for it. We get the party decorations all out, the hats, the noise makers, the festoons - and no one ever comes. BUST.
Posted by: 125WMARION | March 1, 2009 5:13 PM

Try this, ignore the forecasts and see what happens. NEVER make plans based around anyone's forecast here. There are to many variables.
Posted by: eor11 | March 1, 2009 6:16 PM

The squirrels seem to be eating at the pumpkins - could this be a sign of a snowy winter. GUESS WHAT FOLKS....WE HAVE THE ANSWER! NO! LET IT RAIN!...
Posted by: stinkerflat1 | March 2, 2009 12:58 AM

Most Persistent Skeptic

Curmudgeon4

Best Slip-Up

it's official! i'm in "it's gonna snow" mode. i want to thank my wife in advance for my manic state over the next few days. bring it on! make it deep!
Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | February 28, 2009 12:13 PM

I meant to say "thank my wife in advance for putting up with my manic state..."
12:15 PM

Most Personal Connection Made

...Remember 12" snow in Roanoke on March 28-29, 1970, I was finishing up my last yr at Tech. Some parts of Va got 18-24" from that storm. On the 30th in was grilling outside with temps close 2 70. May be a few days off on that storm, but my b,day is the 29th & I think that's when it occurred. Don't believe the DC area got much of anything from it...
Posted by: VaTechBob | February 28, 2009 7:47 PM

VaTechBob--I was born on that 29th! I wasn't born in Roanoke, but a bit upstream of the storm, and there was a warm snap afterwards. The storm came out of nowhere--my folks were caught unawares and were lucky to make it to the hospital in time!
Posted by: jkuchen | February 28, 2009 8:30 PM

Best Analogy

Snow scenarios in the greater Washington area are like the "Peanuts" cartoons in which Lucy takes away the football just as Charlie Brown goes to kick it--hopes are dashed every time! Make that kick, Charlie Brown!
Posted by: le_rod | February 28, 2009 8:55 PM

Most Surprised

Heavens! I have been extremely lax in checking CW this weekend, and just signed on to see this snow headline!!! I almost stopped breathing! I had to check to make sure it wasn't April 1! SNOW! Glorious snow in DC!!!
Posted by: dinergirl | March 1, 2009 11:35 AM

Most Patient

I called US Airways and they told me my flight was still on. I was on hold with them for about 45 min. After another 2 hours on hold with my travel agent I was told US air had cancelled my 9am flight, and I'm now booked on a 7:25pm flight this evening.
Posted by: southbridgemom | March 2, 2009 12:31 AM

Most Practical

Weather guys like interesting weather...News guys like interesting stories.
Pretty much everyone is covered between the two.

Posted by: ah___ | February 28, 2009 10:19 AM

...You know it may be a big deal if Bob Ryan is on tonight. If he is sweating it will be an even bigger deal.
Posted by: stinkerflat1 | February 28, 2009 10:43 AM

Sometimes forecasts work out quite well. Sometimes they bust. But it's pretty much impossible to assess which until *after* a storm is over. When the storm's over, we'll all know just how well we and other forecast outlets did. But it seems odd to make that judgement before a storm's half over.
Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 10:13 PM

Feeling cheated by the storm, or just antsy waiting? Instead of venting, learn something about the precipitation process by making your own snow: Virtual Snow Machine.

Posted by: CapitalClimate | March 1, 2009 10:27 PM

Things to Think About

Why do forecasters measure snow in inches and tenths? It seems to be a weird blend of the English and metric system. If we're going to use inches, why not use 16ths like what is printed on rulers?
Posted by: spgass1 | March 1, 2009 12:01 AM

@pat michaels
are you THE pat michaels?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | March 1, 2009 12:58 AM

I suggest a rating scale for weather forecaster on TV and Radio... on a scale of 1-5. If you're a 5, you get to predict anything you want. If you're a 1, you only get to predict what's going to happen in the next hour. As you get better...your rating goes up and you're allowed to forecast longer. If you get worse...your rating goes down.
Posted by: Ombudsman1 | March 1, 2009 10:37 AM

Why are residents in Washington DC and the surrounding counties so emotional about snow, or lack thereof?
Posted by: Duke-of-Fredericksburg | March 1, 2009 10:22 PM

In the past (before CWG existed), we would have had fewer forecast updates--four times a day from the NWS with maybe some NOWcasts thrown in for good measure. Since it seems that the snow totals are running about where the original forecasts were, do you think that having frequent updates makes forecasting less accurate?
Posted by: bjackrian | March 2, 2009 9:04 AM

How do weather forecasters measure the accuracy of their forecasts? It looks like total storm totals came in around the forecasted levels, but how the snow accumulated was not as forecasted. The first part of the storm came in low and the second part came in high. So was it a good forecast because the entire storm total was close or was it a bad forecast because the accumulation rate did not occur as predicted?
Posted by: Radz | March 2, 2009 11:14 AM

Dogs outside running around, playing, and making yellow snow.
Posted by: waterfrontproperty | March 1, 2009 5:41 PM

Compliments to CWG (Thank you!)

My first post to "hands down"...the BEST website I've ever seen on weather. In fact, one of the best websites...period!...I enjoy being part of a "community" of fellow snow buffs. I really didn't believe you guys existed. Until today, I thought I was alone in "snow lovers paradise."
Posted by: MITCHRAPP | March 1, 2009 5:07 PM

This [forecast] kills some people's high hopes, but you should all be commended for your hard work and honesty. I'm still hoping.
Posted by: matthew_lawlor | March 1, 2009 9:29 PM

...This is the best place on the Web for a DC specific forecast, and I really enjoy reading your blog, promised storms or not.
Posted by: reader47 | March 1, 2009 9:51 PM

...There's no better website on the internet for in-depth coverage of the Washington, DC weather scene.
Posted by: KBurchfiel | March 1, 2009 9:55 PM

These guys do a GREAT job and consistently provide one of the best sources of weather info. available in the D.C. area! I wish I had a team of professionals focused on my area as they are for D.C.
Posted by: AugustaJim | March 1, 2009 10:03 PM

For those who want to whine about what the CWG has been saying...wait until you get up in the morning to cast judgement...You will find, if you spend any time actually reading through their forecasts, that they are probably the least "sensationalistic" forecasters in the region, and always give us a post mortem, regardless of whether it was a spot-on forecast, or a bust.
Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | March 1, 2009 10:31 PM

...What a precious find CWG is!!! No other site compares. You definitely have a new fan. Keep up the good work!

Posted by: smhh | March 1, 2009 10:34 PM

CWG, I love you....
Posted by: LaurainNWDC | March 1, 2009 10:52 PM

Congrats to the CWG for their good forecast and patience with us naysayers.
Posted by: 125WMARION | March 2, 2009 7:32 AM

I think I was rooting more for CWG to be right, than for my classes to get canceled
Posted by: emhochberg | March 2, 2009 7:51 AM

I just want to take this opportunity to thank Jason and the entire team for this blog. I have been a fan since its inception, and you guys do a great job of keeping us informed and ajusting our expectations as conditions change.
Posted by: CAlovesVA | March 2, 2009 8:35 AM

Great work, CWG, just the right mix of optimism, skepticism and realism in a weather site. You're my go-to every morning (and mid-morning and noon and early afternoon and...) Thanks!
Posted by: mcaicedo | March 2, 2009 10:14 AM

Congrats and way to go, CWG! We heard about you from friends, and enjoy your news, prognostications, posts and chat. We're fans forever...Followed your forecasts all weekend, went to bed and woke up to a wonderland...
Posted by: jack51 | March 2, 2009 2:25 PM

Commenters We Need to Get in Touch With...

That is truly a beautiful 18Z GFS. If it comes to fruition, first round is on me.
Posted by: 300_sq_ft | March 1, 2009 4:56 PM

Was planning on having a faux blizzard party, but it doesn't look like it's gonna happen now. What should I do with all the Jack Daniels now?
Posted by: 300_sq_ft | March 1, 2009 5:54 PM

By Ann Posegate  | March 4, 2009; 12:30 PM ET
Categories:  Posegate, Winter Storms, Wx and the City
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: CWG Gets Credit For a Correct Forecast, But...
Next: PM Update: Snow Dwindles, Warmth Returns Soon

Comments

That was awesome! That was the first time I ever won anything. I would like to thank the academy for this award. I'd also like to thank my parents whose drunken vision made my life possible. I would also like to thank CWG for providing us with a forum for our creativity. Finally, I would like to thank mother nature for psychologically messing us up with March snow. It was because of you MN that I got this CWG Oscar.

Posted by: authorofpoetry | March 4, 2009 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Certainly some interesting comment across the board! From Saturday morning till sunday night, the mood changed constantly from happy to snow weenies wanting to throw them selfs off a bridge when the first half of the storm under performed lol!

CWG: could you imagine how many comments you would have if we were to have another 93 or 96 blizzard!?! Probably triple the number you had for this storm!

You guys did a great job with the storm.

Posted by: clintonportis17 | March 4, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

I really enjoyed reading these (again, and in an unsnow fever induced state)! Thanks!

Posted by: Snowlover2 | March 4, 2009 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Guys - seriously, can we get tee-shirts for getting our posts on the finalist page? Seriously...

Posted by: authorofpoetry | March 4, 2009 1:35 PM | Report abuse

authorofpoetry:

Nice idea haha! Maybe CWG should have there own tee-shirts?

Posted by: clintonportis17 | March 4, 2009 1:38 PM | Report abuse

@clintonportis17 - Good idea. We'll have to think about that one. I like HistoryTchr's "I live for snow days" t-shirt idea too.

I'm glad you all like the "awards!" Our readers certainly play a big role in making the site what it is. So again, thank you.

Posted by: Ann-CapitalWeatherGang | March 4, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

If you go with "I live for snow days" you also have to put on your symbols. Apples, capitol domes.

Posted by: kallieh | March 4, 2009 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Ok. ok.I admit it. I'm a total weather geek, I have never posted a comment before but I read CWG many times a day, (and definitely instead of Weather.com now) esp. during this recent storm, but the true test of my weather geekdom was that these "awards" made me laugh out loud many times..this one made me laugh the loudest: "I'm worried! Snow isn't sticking to pavement! Will it? I hope so. If not then UH OH! Whats the schoolcast? When's the next post??? WHEN WILL IT START STICKING TO THE PAVEMENT??!!!!
Posted by: hoyafan516 | March 1, 2009 7:44 PM"

I'm a nerd. You're all nerds. Nerds Rule.

Posted by: CapCurrent | March 4, 2009 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for honoring my honesty about my complete lack of map reading skills. (I laugh every time a lost person asks me for directions).

Thank you to everyone who politely provided the information I needed. I expected a lot of ribbing. I was pleasantly surprised there was almost none.

Love reading all the other comments. So glad Hoyafan's persistence paid off with so many mentions. The poem was beautiful. All of the comments were funny, informative, interesting.

Posted by: epjd | March 4, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the shout out! Happy to be a contributor to the ever-popular "ouch" category.

Posted by: worldtraveler | March 4, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

this is fabulous - and hilarious!

Posted by: madisondc | March 4, 2009 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Free WaPo T-shirts for all finalists!! The front can say "Washington Post Capital Weather Gang" and the back can say "Trust us - the local TV nets are on crack"

Posted by: worldtraveler | March 4, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

mets, not nets.

Posted by: worldtraveler | March 4, 2009 4:40 PM | Report abuse

It is time for CWG T-Shirts! Heck...I will even make an investment and have the things printed. Bumper stickers too! Umbrellas! Snow Globes!..............

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | March 4, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

A fun comment category we missed was "Biggest Helping of Crow" for all the skeptics who returned to apologize the next morning :)

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | March 4, 2009 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Too funny! I didn't realize there were so many comments... wow.

I like the bumper sticker idea. It would be a great way to get the word out about the CWG.

Posted by: Sterlingva | March 4, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

The weather blog during snow season is way too addicting...but very meaningful fellowship, somehow.

Posted by: manassasmissy | March 4, 2009 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Recognition for best comments? I'll try harder next time.

Posted by: Bitter_Bill | March 4, 2009 5:40 PM | Report abuse

I enjoyed the "Crow Buffet" the next day. There sure were a lot of empty chairs at the table!

And yes, I am still very proud of my curmudgeonliness! LOL

What a great and memorable storm. Thanks CWG!

Posted by: Curmudgeon4 | March 4, 2009 5:51 PM | Report abuse

You should have had a Clueless and Most Annoying category.

The person who doesn't know where Silver Spring is in relation to the rest of the area would easily win the first category. The kid who asks over and over if there is going to be school would be my choice in the second category.

Posted by: MKadyman | March 4, 2009 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Great post, Ann... the commenters make a site like this tick. It's pretty cool to see it in action during a busy time, though I tend to read more and wade in less than on a quiet day. ;)

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | March 4, 2009 6:12 PM | Report abuse

If you guys get this many comments for the snow during the winter, let's hope we get a really great spring/summer with some good thunderstorms!

Posted by: kridgely | March 4, 2009 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if anyone's told hoyafan that he's made the big time? The only time I've ever seen him online is when snow has been predicted.

Good quotes, hoya! Oh, to be a kid again...

Posted by: meta2 | March 4, 2009 9:53 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, thank you. I will have to accept this award posthumously, as I drank myself to death that night. The lobster lives on, however.

"Never stop dreaming! Reach for the stars!"

-SnowMonsterDC (1874-2009)

Posted by: SnowMonsterDC | March 4, 2009 9:55 PM | Report abuse

check tomorrow mornings's post for pics of my sculpture - i call it "the senators"

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | March 4, 2009 10:01 PM | Report abuse

CWG and SnowMonsterDC--WE LIVE FOR YOU!

Posted by: Terp4Life2 | March 4, 2009 10:14 PM | Report abuse

SnowMonster! You're alive!! There was an all-call for you late Sunday night. We were worried about you, the alligator and the turtle(?). Glad to see you surfaced, even if you drank yourself to death.

Love CWG and this blog. I had lots of good laughs while watching the snow pile up. It started at 2:45 p.m. Sunday in So. MD, lasted thru the night and into the next morning. Didn't have the agita those the north and west had waiting for the flakes. So for us, it was all fun.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | March 4, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

OMG! I'm so surprised to have won!!! ;-) seriously, that was definitely the most nutcakes commenting party on CWG EVER.

Posted by: dinergirl | March 5, 2009 12:05 AM | Report abuse

I enjoy the snow and the storms,and the forecasts are always EXCELLENT, but the comments are what help keep this place alive and hopping during big weather events.

SnowMonster: I thought you said the lobster froze to death? I assume you were able to revive him? I propose that the CWG start a LobsterCast during future snowstorms. The more snow we get, the higher the probability is that we'll see a drunk lobster fighting an alligator.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | March 5, 2009 3:47 PM | Report abuse

@dinegirl

I think the nuttiness was pent up for so much of the non-snowy winter that once it got released it totally exploded. Thanks to all our commenters -- old and new -- for helping making this the most memorable week since the switchover to washpost.

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | March 5, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

I would totally trade my "I live for snow days" shirt for a CWG shirt! Another teacher at my school read this blog over the storm period and asked me if I was indeed HistoryTchr...the reach of CWG is spreading!

Posted by: HistoryTchr | March 5, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

And are we sure HoyaFan is a kid? Because I anxiously await the apples as well...in fact, I got NOTHING accomplished on Sunday because I spent all day reading this darn blog! It's a good thing FFX gave me Monday off...I didn't have anything clean to wear to work if the storm hadn't of panned out!

Posted by: HistoryTchr | March 5, 2009 11:28 PM | Report abuse