The new Washington
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 2:00 PM ET, 03/14/2009

Forecast: Damp and Dreary Weekend

By Jason Samenow

* Super-Predictable Superstorm of '93 | CWG's on Facebook & Twitter *

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Rain developing in the afternoon. 40-44. | Tonight: Rain. 35-39. | Tomorrow: Morning light rain and drizzle, remaining cloudy in the p.m. 44-48. | A Look Ahead

FORECAST IN DETAIL

We've been alternating between nice and lousy weekends for the last several weeks and regrettably it's now the lousy weekend's turn. Very little sun will shine and it will be cloudy and cool for the duration. On the plus side, we'll receive some needed rain although it will only put a small dent into our accumulating rainfall deficit...

Radar: Latest regional radar loop shows movement of precipitation over past two hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update. Click here to see radar bigger. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Today (Saturday): Moist flow off the chilly Atlantic waters will sock us in with clouds all day long. During the afternoon, low pressure will approach from the south bringing rain from southwest to northeast. The clouds and rain will cap high temperatures in the low 40s. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: Patchy light rain and drizzle will persist throughout the night as the wave of low pressure passes to our northeast and weakens. Lows will drop down to the upper 30s. Total rainfall will range from 0.25-0.5."Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast into early next week. And visit us anytime at washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang.

Tomorrow (Sunday): Some patchy drizzle is possible in the morning with most of it gradually diminishing or ending during the afternoon. Still, cool, moist flow from the northeast will keep it cloudy, and highs probably won't escape the 40s. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow Night: Easterly flow persists overnight, with mostly cloudy skies and some patchy drizzle -- especially late at night. Lows will dip into the upper 30s. Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

We remain under the maritime airmass for one more day on Monday so it will stay cloudy and raw. Another area of low pressure may develop to the south perhaps coming close enough to bring some more light rain, but odds are just 1 in 3 at the moment. Highs will remain locked up in the 40s. Confidence: Medium

High pressure builds southward Tuesday, finally clearing us out. Temperatures will likely make a run at 60 with some welcome sunshine. Confidence: Medium

By Jason Samenow  | March 14, 2009; 2:00 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Gray Skies Persist; Showers Tomorrow
Next: Forecast: Lost in the Mist

Comments

Where is the rain, man? Since Hanna it's been exceedingly difficult to drop. You see overcast sky all day but no precipitation. It's almost like we should not expect anything more than a few sprinkles unless it's hurricane time again. We need that good soaking!

Posted by: LoudounGeek | March 14, 2009 7:46 AM | Report abuse

LoudounGeek:
With the report issued two days ago, NOAA now has much of our region in a moderate drought. This condition is likely to get more severe as the spring vegetation taps more soil moisture and the evaporation rates increase.

Officials in central Va. are already asking folks to conserve water.

On a brighter note, it began raining lightly in my area about 30 minutes ago, with 35 degrees. Some snow still remains from yesterday's 1.5 inches.

Posted by: AugustaJim | March 14, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm missing the Iceberg Regatta, which kicks off my club's sailing season...and with this weather, I don't regret my decision. Plenty of warm sailing days coming up, though I'd rather lose some water time to the rain and get rid of this drought.

Posted by: --sg | March 14, 2009 10:12 AM | Report abuse

Are we gonna get any measurable rain this weekend, or just miserable drizzle?

Posted by: weathergrrl | March 14, 2009 10:43 AM | Report abuse

Augusta, missed the drought update this week till you mentioned it. Image for others. The east coast drought has become a fairly long-term thing, though generally focused in a smaller area to our south and southwest more constantly. It has been growing and shrinking the last few years, but we look like we're trying to get back into it good. With Nina remnants in the pattern I hope we can get an active storm season like last spring, but something seems different with regard to storm track coming over the mtns this winter. We ended up with a lot of lows passing by just to the northwest into spring last yr and they have not been tracking as close this time around, so we are not working with as much dynamics. The cold fronts losing all moisture in the mtns is not going to be the answer. We need a few more southern type of systems even if it means some cold rains in spring.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | March 14, 2009 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Current temp. in Burke: 48.7 with overcast skies.

I was wondering,are wildfires rare around here? If the drought conditions persist, I suspect that the threat of wildfires in this area could increase, especially on windy days. Maybe the humidity from the Atlantic Ocean hampers any possible dangers of a wildfire around here. Just my idea.

Oh yeah, don't forget to wear green on St. Patrick's Day this Tuesday!

Posted by: Yellowboy | March 14, 2009 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Not the kind of weekend I like, but it's not a really heavy rain, though I HATE such raw weather! About half an inch max expected here through the whole period.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | March 14, 2009 12:57 PM | Report abuse

.26 rainfall since 8 am here in the Valley.

Rain continues at 4:45 with a chilly 38 degrees. The snow from yesterday has all melted. A total of .24 qp in the snow, therefore .50 total liquid the past 40 hrs.

Considering the drought, a very beautiful day.

Posted by: AugustaJim | March 14, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Slow rains like we're having today are good for draughts. Downpours, on the other hand, result in a lot of runoff which I don't think does as much good.

I forgot to empty my bucket so I won't have any liquid precip totals to share from this event.

34.3F, foggy with light rain

Posted by: spgass1 | March 14, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

I just checked the local Weatherbug station and we received over a quarter of an inch of rain today. That was good since I put lime and fertilizer on the lawn this morning before the rain.

Posted by: david_in_stafford | March 14, 2009 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Yellowboy:

There are some things that go into wild fires such as dew points,wind,dryness of brush (fuels) and etc. We have already seen serveral "enhanced fire conditions" and "Red Flag Warnings" issued this year from the NWS. Large damaging wild fires are rare in this area but do happen. Just look back at North Carolina I believe it was last year when we had some of the smoke up this way from the wild fires they had. We don't see on shore flows very often around here except mostly in the spring months. (like today) and every once in a while we will during the summer. Key wild fire formation are low dew points, strong winds, dry brush, and a source to start a fire. ie: dry lightning, or man made. Most of the time during the summer we don't have these conditions. While yes we do have dry summers or a drought but we typiclly don't have the low dew points or the strong winds combined with the DP. Has you know our summer are normally dry (as of the past few years) and quite humid days..ie: high dew points. IMO winters around here are more conducive to wild fires then summer because of the low dew points and very strong winds that accompany with what seems like to me storms that manage to go to our north leaving us high and dry but with the wind and dry fronts that go through with no moisture but always bring the wind.

Another excample of winter vs summer is that since I have been here I don't recall many if any red flag warnings and enhanced fire conditions issued by the NWS during the summer as to the winter.

We are in a moderate drought but does not always mean conditions area favorable for fires. Hopefully we have a wet spring before what I think will be a dry summer! Again! With what might be an El nino summer or late summer which may have an impact on hurricane season which in turn will reduce our chances of any help from a tropical system. Just some thought :)

Posted by: clintonportis17 | March 14, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

And I should have double checked my post because I noticed spelling errors. Sorry, I hope you still get what I'm saying :)

Posted by: clintonportis17 | March 14, 2009 10:10 PM | Report abuse

Clintonportis17, you're not the only one with a spelling error. I spelled drought as draught above.

As it turns out, rainy days are in fact good for draughts, but bottled beers are just as nice.

33.4F, drizzling

Posted by: spgass1 | March 14, 2009 10:56 PM | Report abuse

Channel 9 radar is showing some mixed precip in the mountains east of New Market, VA.

33.4F, drizzling

Posted by: spgass1 | March 14, 2009 11:19 PM | Report abuse

Yellowboy and Clintonportis17, illustrative of wildfires this time of year, I took a picture of one along I-66 last March.

Posted by: spgass1 | March 15, 2009 12:14 PM | Report abuse