The new Washington
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:00 AM ET, 03/ 8/2009

Forecast: Early Spring Fever

By Brian Jackson

* Bob Ryan on Climate Change | Set Clocks Forward Today *

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Mostly cloudy. 71-75. | Tonight: Cloudy, chance of showers. 49-52. | Tomorrow: Clouds and sun. 66-69. | A Look Ahead

FORECAST IN DETAIL

This weekend concludes with more beautiful spring weather - two weeks ahead of the equinox. For another day, temperatures nearly 20 degrees above normal warm the region. Then, a chance of overnight showers starts a modest cooling trend for your return to work. Unsettled conditions return towards mid-week with our next good chance for showers late Tuesday into Wednesday.

Temperatures: Current area temperatures. Powered by Weather Bonk. Map by Google. Hover over and click icons for more info. Click and hold on map to pan. Refresh page to update. See map bigger on our Weather Wall.

Today (Sunday): We'll see another warm and pleasant day today, completing a wonderful weekend. Temperatures will again jump into the low-to-mid 70s area-wide. Skies will start off sunny but clouds should gradually filter in overhead by noon and remain for the afternoon . Any area that sees extended sun, though, could make the upper 70s. Winds will be out of the southwest at 5-10 mph.
Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: Overnight skies will range from mostly cloudy to overcast as a weak cold front pass through the region toward morning. There should be enough moisture in the atmosphere to wring out a few showers as the front passes but these will generally be light and widely scattered. Overnight lows will be in the lower 50s downtown and the upper 40s in the suburbs. Winds from the south will blow at around 10 mph. Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast through your mid-week...

Tomorrow (Monday): Lingering showers will be working off to the east by daybreak leaving only clouds behind. They too will be moving out and by mid-day we should see a fair amount of sun. Daytime highs will be a tad cooler compared to the weekend but still quite pleasant with temperatures ranging from the mid-to-upper 60s. Winds will blow from the northwest at 10-20 mph, with a few gusts.

Tomorrow Night: Clouds will again overspread the area on Monday night as our previous (apparently identity-challenged) cold front returns northward as a warm front. We should stay mostly dry, though by morning. I'll call for a 20% or less chance of showers mainly south of the metro area in Va. Low temperatures should drop into the upper 30s to lower 40s (suburbs-city). Winds will be out of the north at 5-10 mph.
Confidence: Medium-High

A LOOK AHEAD

Tuesday brings with it unsettled weather as the aforementioned warm front stalls over the area. This spells mostly cloudy conditions during the day with a 40% chance of some rain showers, mainly during the afternoon/evening. Clouds will likely hold your afternoon highs in the low-to-mid-50s. Confidence: Medium-High

The warm front lifts north Wednesday, but the weather stays unsettled as a trailing cold front closes in. The chance for showers increases slightly (50%) and skies will again be mostly cloudy. Temperatures should rebound slightly into the lower 60s, but could be held down a bit in areas that see more persistent showers. Confidence: Medium

By Brian Jackson  | March 8, 2009; 5:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Sensational Seventies
Next: Forecast: Mild Monday, but Slowly Cooling

Comments

Current temp. in Burke: 76.3 with mostly cloudy skies!

Hmmmm...My area's temperature seems to have surpassed the NWS's predicted afternoon temperature of 74 degrees. Oh well, I like it!

I hope it rains soon, because I'm scared this region could go into a drought again....

Have a nice day and enjoy the weather!

Posted by: Yellowboy | March 8, 2009 12:59 PM | Report abuse

To think, we were just starting to see the first snowflakes around this time last week.

And 6 days ago the high temps were only in the low 20s! Now we're in the upper 70s!

Crazy time of the year.

Posted by: JTF- | March 8, 2009 3:51 PM | Report abuse

What a difference a week makes!

Posted by: meta2 | March 8, 2009 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Did everyone get to enjoy the warmth? I spent it staring at satellite images of ice and snow. Though, now I think I'm going to sneak in a quick bike ride before dark

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | March 8, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Ouch! Sounds as though it's going to rain again for my Tuesday night Clarendon Ballroom swing dance!

We're getting back to the same old pattern...no rain except when I have a big dance scheduled.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | March 8, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Am I the only one who found it a bit muggy and unpleasant today? I definitely enjoyed yesterday and friday, but today went into ick territory. Not to mention that my apartment is still 80 degrees at 11 o'clock at night.

Call me nuts, but I'm okay with some more cool weather. This is DC; it'll be hot soon enough.

Posted by: dinergirl | March 8, 2009 11:00 PM | Report abuse

Ecxeptional weekend for the 2nd weekend in march. Had to restrain myself in the garden et al. I know there's more sludge ahead before real Spring arrives ......

Posted by: weathergrrl | March 8, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

A beautiful day like this erodes some of my curmudgeonliness.

Nice to drop the top on the convertible only a few days after snow, temps in the teens and a howling wind.

Posted by: Curmudgeon4 | March 9, 2009 12:10 AM | Report abuse