The new Washington
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 03/26/2009

Forecast: On and Off Rainy Periods Into Sunday

By Jason Samenow

* What Wx Features Interest You? | Owning the Weather *

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Rain increasing towards noon. Near 50. | Tonight: Rain decreasing in the evening. 40-45. Tomorrow: Partly sunny, and milder. Late rain south? Low 60s. | A Look Ahead

FORECAST IN DETAIL

Dust off your (of late) lightly used umbrellas, as they'll be getting a lot of work over the next several days. Several fronts will lift through the metro region bringing multiple rainy episodes. A short window of nice weather may present itself tomorrow morning (and again Saturday morning?) into the mid-afternoon. So that will be the opportunity to sneak in a round of golf if you can get the time off.

Radar: Latest D.C. area radar loop shows movement of precipitation over past two hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update. Click here to see radar bigger. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Today (Thursday): Scattered and mostly light showers are possible for the morning commute, but the steadier rain will move in around lunch and continue during the afternoon. The rain will hold down temperatures, with highs only near 50. Rainfall totals should range from 0.25-0.5." Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: The rain will gradually taper off during the evening, with most spots drying out after midnight. Skies may even clear before morning, with lows in the upper 30s in the cooler suburbs to the low-to-mid 40s downtown. Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast through early next week...

Tomorrow (Friday): Weak high pressure will provide a brief period of sunshine and a bit of warmth. However, a wave of low pressure riding along a front stalled to our south may increase clouds during the afternoon and even (30% chance) produce some light rain over the area late in the afternoon and during the evening. Highs should reach the low 60s. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow Night: Mostly cloudy, and there's a 40% chance of light rain (higher chances to the south). Lows should fall into the upper 40s. Confidence: Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

On Saturday, the morning may end up being mostly dry (70% chance) but, at the moment, the afternoon (especially after 2 or 3 p.m.) appears to be wet (70% chance). Showers and even some thunderstorms are possible as a cold front approaches the region. Some locally heavy rainfall may accompany the showers and storms. High temperatures should be near 60. As the front slowly traverses the area overnight, occasional showers will probably continue (60% chance), with lows near 50. Confidence: Medium-High

Some shower activity may (50% chance) linger through around noon Sunday, followed by gradual clearing. The sun stands a good chance (70%) of emerging during the afternoon, with highs near 60. It will become breezy, with winds from the northwest at 15-25 mph. Confidence: Medium

We dry out completely Monday as high pressure returns to the area. Highs will again be near 60 under blue skies. Confidence: Medium-High

By Jason Samenow  | March 26, 2009; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Scattered Light Showers Tonight
Next: Moderate Drought for D.C. Metro Area

Comments

@NattyBo1985

Right now, looks kinda rainy for Saturday afternoon. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news...

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 25, 2009 8:57 PM
----

Hey man, no worries. The sport WAS invented in the rain, after all. Besides, rain is a good omen for United. I hope it's at least a warm-ish rain, though...

Posted by: NattyBo1985 | March 26, 2009 8:54 AM | Report abuse

I'm grateful the skies are likely to keep the rain light until Saturday.

As always, I very much appreciate the finer details generously provided by the Gang, who've faithfully been helping me decide for over a year now, when my horsepower can rest its carbon hooves, while my umbrella and galoshes take me out.

The Gang has yet to steer me wrong. Knock keyboard, but no implied pressure at all. I've never once objected to nature gifting me an extra daily shower. It's true that as I've aged, my drenched appearance has begun to scare toddlers. However, the instant I smile and and wave friendly-like, they giggle, so it comes out in the wash, you could say.

Posted by: jhbyer | March 26, 2009 9:45 AM | Report abuse

does the forecast look the same for Ocean City?....I'm supposed to play golf Saturday afternoon, is it going to be a washout?

Posted by: santanastark | March 26, 2009 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Big youth travel baseball tournament this weekend in Loudoun County, Friday evening through Sunday evening. Our boys have back 2 back games at 4 and 6PM on Saturday: should I bring a lifejacket?

Posted by: joemktg1 | March 26, 2009 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Rather light rain so far, but the ground is being dampened. The cause of the dry weather and lack of winter snow, is likely due to the persistent La Nina. We would not be so dry if we had gotten normal snow during meteorological winter.

Unfortunately there's more nasty rain due later tomorrow when I have to be out in it going to tomorrow night's dance! Despite this "drought" the "anti-Bombo 'rain-timing' conspiracy" continues! That's right...no rain unless there's a big dance on at the Elks Lodge...or Library books HAVE TO BE dragged in to the library! At least the swing dances seem to be staying dry...though Saturday night's big deal at Glen Echo could be a downpour issue.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | March 26, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

@santanastark

The rain may hold off until a little later in the afternoon (after 4 or so) to reach Ocean City...so maybe you can sneak the round in if you start early enough.

@joemktg1

It won't rain all the time, but yes, it's going to be a challenge in all likelihood.

Posted by: CapitalWeatherGang | March 26, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

So if I am doing a hike around 8 30AM on Saturday near the city, and it doesn't end til around 1ish, what is my potential soak factor?

Bombo, renew the books online. I do it all the time when I can't get to the library before they are due.

Posted by: SPS1 | March 26, 2009 2:01 PM | Report abuse