The new Washington
Posted at 2:00 PM ET, 03/ 7/2009

Forecast: Sensational Seventies

By Jason Samenow

* Bob Ryan on Climate Change | Best Snow Comments | Spring Forward *

* Forecast updated at 2 p.m. given persistent high cloud cover *

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: High clouds, filtered sunshine. 71-76. | Tonight: Partly cloudy. 48-53 | Tomorrow: Partly sunny. 72-77 | A Look Ahead

FORECAST IN DETAIL

What a difference a week makes. This time last week, we were discussing the potential for a major winter storm. Now, we're talking about temperatures in the 70s. That's nearly 50 degree temperature swing from Monday afternoon. March is sure living up to its fickle reputation.

Temperatures: Current area temperatures. Powered by Weather Bonk. Map by Google. Hover over and click icons for more info. Click and hold on map to pan. Refresh page to update. See map bigger on our Weather Wall.

Today (Saturday): Some patchy fog will blanket parts of the region early on before it's gradually burned off around mid-morning. Afternoon sunshine looks like it will be diffused by high clouds, but high temperatures will still reach the low-to-mid 70s. Winds will generally be light. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: Temperatures will remain rather mild with a breeze from the south kicking in. Lows will drop from the mid-to-upper 40s in the cooler suburbs to just the low 50s downtown. Confidence: Medium-High

Keep reading for the forecast into early next week.

Tomorrow (Sunday): The flow from the south will keep on pumping in warm air. It will feel like spring as we spring forward. High temperatures will again climb into the 70s under a mix of clouds and sun. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow Night: A weak cold front will slide through the region from the northwest. This could (50% chance) produce a few showers. Otherwise, expect partly to mostly cloudy skies with lows 46-51 (suburbs-city). Confidence: Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

If you can take a day off from work and extend you're weekend, give that option strong consideration. While it will be about 5-10 degrees cooler than Sunday, Monday's highs in the mid-60s will be quite pleasant. A good deal of sunshine and a light wind from the west will accompany the mild temperatures. Confidence: Medium-High

Tuesday continues mild, but it trends ever so slightly cooler. Clouds will increase in the afternoon with a slight (30%) chance of showers. Highs should be in the 50s to around 60. Confidence: Medium

By Jason Samenow  | March 7, 2009; 2:00 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Quite a Warm Weekend on Tap
Next: Forecast: Early Spring Fever

Comments

A beautiful Sat. morning with 51 degrees and mostly clear skies.

The roller coaster will continue to roll after a beautiful weekend, dropping us quickly back to the reality of early March winter potential by the end of next week.

More snow ??????????? Perhaps !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: AugustaJim | March 7, 2009 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Good Morning! I want to take a moment and send my congrats to the CWG for their extensive coverage of this past week's storm. I have been a follower of CWG since DCRTV.com announced this new weather site "back in the day" and have watched as the team and the web-site grow in both content and forecasting. I was not pleased when the team commercialized the site a little over a year ago but I now see the benefits of such a change. The coverage and balance this past week was A+ and pretty much spot on!

Each day when I wake up and head to work I quickly check this site to see what the day and the balance of the week holds. My wife says she has never seen anyone so concerned about the weather...I tell her to go to the Capital Weather Gang site and she will see several hundred nuts just as crazy as me.

Also - love the new FaceBook page! Jason - I appreciate your comment about one of the photos I posted when I was down in DC on Monday.

Best,

"RainMan" Greg

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | March 7, 2009 9:01 AM | Report abuse

its already 62 its going to be a warm day.

Posted by: hikeguy23 | March 7, 2009 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Greg-- Thanks so much for the really nice comment. You're comments and sense of humor add a lot to our community. And your RAIN predictions get a high verification score :)

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 7, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

Leesburg already reporting 70, though their sensor is sometimes off. BWI 69 as of 10, so there is certainly some warmth out there early today. DCA with south winds off the river still at 59, one of the lower readings in the area.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | March 7, 2009 10:01 AM | Report abuse

It was like 66.9*F this morning at 9:40 here in Brookeville, MD. I LOVE this weather!

Posted by: bastings | March 7, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Broke out the flip flops this morning...whohoo! It's odd to be wearing them though while my snow boots are still sitting on my balcony drying out...

Posted by: HistoryTchr | March 7, 2009 10:44 AM | Report abuse

73 in Lake Ridge with a heat index of 76. I'm not used to saying "heat index."

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | March 7, 2009 10:45 AM | Report abuse

augustajim:
how's that storm shaping up? i believe as of yesterday the GFS (good-for-snow) model showed it passing south of us.

rainman:
i enjoy your comments, but i always thought your "rainman" persona is kind of wimpy in that that's pretty much the default position around here. it was good to see "snowman" come out last week.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | March 7, 2009 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Most of the area into the low 70s now at noon... DCA lagging still with a reading of 66. Increase in mainly high cloudiness looks like it could last through much of the rest of the day perhaps keeping temperatures from soaring much more.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | March 7, 2009 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Current tamp. in Burke: 73.6 with overcast skies.

This weekend is shaping up to be the nicest weekend we've had this year. It's been a whiles since I saw the Nice Day! symbol.

RainMan Greg:

I'm also happy this website exists because it's the only place where I can actually discuss the weather with someone. Whenever I try to talk to my friends at school about the weather, they always get off topic and start talking about something else typical high schoolers would talk about.

Posted by: Yellowboy | March 7, 2009 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Oh yeah, don't forget to turn your clocks an hour forward tonight!

Daylight saving time begins at 2 a.m. Sunday! : )

Posted by: Yellowboy | March 7, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Walter:
With most folks loving the spring preview this weekend it is a little tough thinking about the opposite extreme in less than a week, but it is possible.

A cold front will pass through on Wed., with showers. Cold high pressure will gradually settle in to our north during the late week behind the front, while low pressure builds over the deep south and shifts e.n.e. This presents the threat of some frozen precip. to our general region in the Fri/Sat timeframe.

The GFS that you refer to, has shifted north toward us with this disturbance since yesterday.

12:45 and a wonderful 73 degrees in the Valley, though some of the deeper snowdrifts are still around and the sun is now obscurred by clouds.

Have a Great Afternoon everyone!!

Posted by: AugustaJim | March 7, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Persistent altostratus translucidus cloud deck inhibiting temps. General reading is 67F, though my window thermometer [near brick wall] reads 80F. Radar shows solitary echo along and west of I-95 just SW of Dale City; is anyone out there getting a shower? South wind hints at possible rain within next 36 hrs.

I still think the jump to DST is a month or so too early.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | March 7, 2009 1:27 PM | Report abuse

I wish the sun had managed to stay out. Still, very nice out for a stroll around outside during lunch.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | March 7, 2009 1:51 PM | Report abuse

DCA ceiling data of 20,000+' implies Cs deck rather than As. I'm maintaining my position; no halo charactaristic of cirrostratus is visible, but ground-glass appearance of sun indicates altostratus to me. Lower-level portion of cloud at least could be water droplets, possibly supercooled at that height.

On a different topic, Pitt maintains 5-10 point lead over UConn with less than 5 minutes left in second half.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | March 7, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I have some secret, first-hand information about the weather. You heard it here first: It is really nice outside.

Posted by: SnowMonsterDC | March 7, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Bombo, I don't think that radar return is real -- or there is an outside shot it's something like smoke from the ground? It has not really moved over the last hour +. Too bad on the UConn/Pitt game... Pitt is good.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | March 7, 2009 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Although I am working on paper for grad school, I am outdoors enjoying every minute of this early spring weather. It is truly inspirational after the windy and cold winter we've experienced....and last week's snow!

Posted by: david_in_stafford | March 7, 2009 3:11 PM | Report abuse

A warm 75.8 degrees here in Culpeper Va, Is it a little humid or is it just me? Dew points are around 50-51, although I thought they were a little higher. We have little wind here to my surprise! Very rarly this time year do we get this warm without screaming winds.

As for next weekend; I'm a little skeptical we'll see anything significant. If indeed we do see frozen precip its looking like slop RIGHT NOW. It will get cold though know matter what. Don't know about you folks but i'm just about done with the cold and frozen precip!

Posted by: clintonportis17 | March 7, 2009 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Seemed really humid to me here in Manassas today...had to change into shorts 'cause it was too muggy. And it IS windy here and a little fog covers the once clear moon.
And I would love the idea of a little cold weather action next weekend AJim.

Posted by: manassasmissy | March 7, 2009 11:46 PM | Report abuse