The new Washington

Here Comes the Snow: What You Need to Know

By Dan Stillman

4-8" expected in metro area through Monday morning

* Winter Storm Warning 2 p.m. today through 2 p.m. Monday *
* Accumulation Map/Timeline, FAQs, SchoolCast & More *
* CWG on: Twitter & Facebook | Weather Wall | SnowCam | Snow Polls *

Happy Sunday afternoon/evening to everyone. So far, we see nothing in the latest model guidance and radar trends to alter the forecast we've been sticking with since last night: 4-8" of snow for the immediate metro area, with less to the west/northwest and more to the east/southeast.

We're expecting the snow to develop from south to north between 3:30 and 5 p.m. (may start as a period of rain or rain/snow mix, especially from D.C. toward points south and east), with heavy snow and accumulations possible by early evening, when travel conditions could deteriorate rapidly. Heavy snow is already falling in parts of central Virginia and southward, with reports of thundersnow near Atlanta.

Putting this storm in perspective, this doesn't look like a storm of historic proportions for the immediate metro area -- but it is a major storm and the most snow we've seen in quite a while. Travel difficulties and cancellations are likely this evening through tomorrow. For those who love snow, enjoy! For those who don't, at least be happy that ice shouldn't be a factor.

If you're on our main page just scroll down to the post immediately below for our express forecast, accumulation map, timeline, impact forecasts and storm FAQs. Otherwise, click here.

We need your help: Radar is not always the most accurate indicator of actual conditions during winter storms, especially at the onset. Please help us and readers out by commenting below with conditions where you are. Also, just found Capital Weather Gang? We're here 24/7/365 -- rain, snow or shine. Visit us anytime at washingtonpost.com/capitalweathergang.

By Dan Stillman  | March 1, 2009; 2:45 PM ET
Categories:  Updates, Winter Storms
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: High-Impact Snowstorm to Paste Metro Area
Next: Snow Delayed, But Still Coming

Comments

Ye-Haw! Bring it on!

Posted by: mjwies11 | March 1, 2009 2:49 PM | Report abuse

Let's go.

Posted by: wecndo | March 1, 2009 2:51 PM | Report abuse

Hey Everyone. Make sure to join Capital Weather Gang on Twitter and Facebook.

Posted by: Dan-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Since we all know DCPS rarely closes for inclement weather, I feel strongly that there should be a separate schoolcast for DC schools and suburban schools.

FWIW, the DCPS teachers I talk to are SURE they are having school tomorrow. Are they wrong?

Posted by: heatherdc1980 | March 1, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

here it comes. I broke out the weather radio to keep myself updated.

However, I will admit. I can't read a map to save my life. Literally. The compass directions mean absolutely nothing to me. Telling me to go north is like telling a color blind person to look for the green door. So, here is my extremely stupid question. What can Silver Spring expect? I don't know which direction that is from DC or if it counts as immediate Metro or what?????

I feel no shame admitting this. I would rather admit I don't know and get an answer then be left clueless. Thank you.

Posted by: epjd | March 1, 2009 2:54 PM | Report abuse

@epjd

I'd estimate 6-8" for Silver Spring...

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Lightning reported west of Richmond.. stuff to come later.

METAR KFVX 011940Z AUTO 03007KT 3/4SM -SN OVC006 01/01 A2991 RMK AO2 P0001 LTG DSNT N

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

epjd, Silver Spring is just due north of DC - DEFINITELY immediate metro area. It's right over the DC line. So whatever DC gets, you can expect to get! For the most part.

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | March 1, 2009 2:58 PM | Report abuse

[God] gives snow like wool;
He scatters the frost like ashes.
He casts forth His ice as fragments;
Who can stand before His cold?
(Psalm 147:16-17)

Looks like God is keeping His promise for the DC area. :-)

Posted by: KBurchfiel | March 1, 2009 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Andrew-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

@Jason

So 6-8 inches in Silver Spring, eh? How about Bethesda? Same deal?

And is it still possible a slight wobble could bring us 10+?

Posted by: JJS3 | March 1, 2009 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I agree that the schoolcast is always different for DC. DC is so much slower to close because too many students would go without breakfast and lunch if they were home all day. (There are probably just as many students on free or reduced lunch in PG county, but the roads are far more questionable there, so it closes more frequently). Also, it may be hard for some of the teachers to get in on snowy days (sometimes there aren't even enough subs!), but most of the students walk or take public transit and can make it. Plus it's just easier to treat the roads in town, and it's a heat island.

But at the same time, I don't think we need a separate schoolcast. We DC folks can just assume one less apple every time. Unless we were talking about a blizzard.

My husband teaches in DC and his guess for tomorrow is 2-hour delay. We'll see!

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | March 1, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

What is the thought on Alexandria (not right on the water)? It's "east of I-95" but by the same token, is south and is closer to the river than a lot of the other areas.

We had some sleet and a minimal dusting overnight and it appears to have melted away. No idea what the temperature actually is out there.

Posted by: joshua-frank | March 1, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Anyone noticed the temps, at least out to the west - we've gone from 33 degrees this morning to 39 now in Leesburg. Snow would be very unusual anytime soon in Loudoun...

Posted by: csh1 | March 1, 2009 3:12 PM | Report abuse

"Interesting pressure falls pattern right now, with the first wave of low pressure that passed through last night starting to intensify off the New England coast. Not sure if that impacts our forecast at all, but just thought I'd point it out. http://www.rap.ucar.edu/weather/model/ruc00hr_sfc_ptnd.gif

Posted by: Andrew-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 3:06 PM "

What does that mean? How would it impact the forecast? Explain, Andrew!

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | March 1, 2009 3:14 PM | Report abuse

@JJS3

About the same in Bethesda...maybe a little less than Silver Spring.

@joshua-frank

6-8" for Alexandria I'd estimate.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 3:16 PM | Report abuse

@everyone

snow now edging towards metro area... it's north of Fredericksburg, Va and LaPlata, Md... Should be moving into much of metro area between 4 and 4:30 p.m.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 3:18 PM | Report abuse

From an earlier thread - 8 inches in order to shut down the outdoor Metro stations - is that location-specific? If New Carrolton gets 8" but Vienna only gets 4", do the Virginia ends of the Orange/Blue Lines keep running?

Posted by: map408 | March 1, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Haymarket - dry and 39

Posted by: oldnbold | March 1, 2009 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Never mind, I just read this part: "Closing all aboveground stations is a general scenario. In some cases, snowfall may not be equal throughout the region."

Posted by: map408 | March 1, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Just beginning to snow in northern Calvert County. Grocery stores jammed, of course. What will the newcomers from Chicago think of this panic?

Posted by: gpwn | March 1, 2009 3:25 PM | Report abuse

LaurainNWDC: I don't think it means any changes to our forecasts, it's just something to watch, since occasionally in a situation like this, one storm can "rob" energy from the next one, and cause the 2nd event to be weaker. But the storm in the southeast right now is coming together nicely, so I wouldn't be worried about that. Just thought the map was neat, with strengthening surface lows over the northeast and the southeast.

Posted by: Andrew-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse

jason im hearing on accuweather formus and the HPC said that the strom is stronger than what the models say...... what do you think of that

Posted by: redskinsfan01 | March 1, 2009 3:32 PM | Report abuse

Andrew, I'm curious about how one storm can rob another storm's energy. Is it even possible to explain that in terms a layperson can understand, or is it too technical?

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | March 1, 2009 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Dry but temp dropping in South College Park, near UMCP.

Posted by: CollegequaParkian | March 1, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

What are the odds the Government closes tommorrow? =)...Yeah, I know, it will either be take leave or a 2 hour delay. Ugh.

Posted by: USNavy28x | March 1, 2009 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Hey Guys - What about Rockville? Is 4-8 a safe bet for us up here too? Inquiring minds want to know!

Posted by: authorofpoetry | March 1, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

@USNavy28x

Check the FedCast scale we put up in our earlier post.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 3:46 PM | Report abuse

@authorofpoetry

4-6" for Rockville would be my estimate since you're farther north and west. For all of these estimates...bear in mind that locally heavy bands can develop where one location could get 4 or 5 inches, and another location not far away could get 8"...this isn't an exact science.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 3:49 PM | Report abuse

LaurainNWDC: Well, that is not really happening in this case as far as I can tell, but I'll attempt to explain it anyhow.

I think of it in this way: there's a finite amount of atmospheric energy for a storm to feed off of at a given point in time. That energy can be divided up in different ways, however. You could have one very strong storm (an energy hog, of sorts), or two pretty weak storms (the more cooperative solution), or have one very weak storm and one more powerful storm.

In this event, the system that passed through last night was quite weak, while the system today/tonight is tapping into more of the available energy. That's how the atmosphere chose to divide things up this time around.

Does this make any sense? Let me know if I am speaking gibberish. Thx!

Posted by: Andrew-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 3:53 PM | Report abuse

35 degrees on the Bay in Shady Side, MD and the snow has started to fall - no rain or sleet mixed in...

Posted by: rollingphone | March 1, 2009 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Love the new fedcast icons! Also love the fact that 3 of them are highlighted. Just waiting and watching the radar here in Silver Spring. Based on the way things are looking now, do you guys think that the snow will still be coming down when we wake up tomorrow? These types of storms tend to get out of here pretty fast... Keep up the great work!

Posted by: SkywalkerSS | March 1, 2009 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Snow is beginning to fall in Stafford at 4pm.

Posted by: david_in_stafford | March 1, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Nothing happening yet out here in Western Loudoun County. I need to drive from here into the District tomorrow -- wonder if I can make it?

Posted by: glastonbury27 | March 1, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Jason, does it worry you snow-wise that it is 39 degrees in Bethesda, or is that just because the storm hasn't arrived and brought cold air??

Posted by: swimdude412 | March 1, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

SnowMonster's forecast:

-3 inches of snow
-Toilet paper: sold out
-Schools closed 2 weeks

Posted by: SnowMonsterDC | March 1, 2009 4:03 PM | Report abuse

What do you think for North of Annapolis, along the bay?

Posted by: MattPasadenda | March 1, 2009 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Nothing in Tenleytown yet!

Posted by: mjwies11 | March 1, 2009 4:05 PM | Report abuse

It is way too warm. It will take a while for the ground temp to get below freezing, correct? Won't a lot of the early stuff (if it falls as snow) just melt?

Also, when in drought...

Posted by: SnowMonsterDC | March 1, 2009 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Nothing here in the Dunn Loring/Merrifield area yet.

Posted by: WalkTheLine | March 1, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

The storm will pull in the cold air.

Posted by: snowedin1985 | March 1, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the wonderful, plain-English explanations! It certainly helps when attempting to decipher all the techno language.

No precipitation is falling in Frederick County, MD at the current time. Can you project a range of time it may begin to fall? Since Frederick County, MD is quite a way from I-95 do I understand correctly we will probably escape most of the snow and receive only a dusting to an inch or two?

I live in New Market, MD and work in Rockville. Do I understand correctly that it may (operative word) be likely that Rockville may experience more snow than New Market in Frederick County, MD?

Keep those explanations coming! While the weather experts may be a tad bored with them, they provide a wonderful service for those of us with less science background!

Posted by: pyrmom | March 1, 2009 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Spots to our south are heading down to freezing in about an hour after precipitation begins. I expect the temperature to level at freezing, and continue to fall, by sunset in DC.

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I'm supposed to fly out of DCA tomorrow at 9:20am on a flight to Huntsville, AL for a conference. I'll be starting my journey in Dumfries. Me thinks I'm in deep, deep trouble...

Posted by: southbridgemom | March 1, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

How will driving conditions be at around 8 or 9 this evening?

Posted by: tengoalyrunr30 | March 1, 2009 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Is anyone else here starting to get concerned that the western edge of the precipitation shield hasn't moved at all to the north or west in the last 3+ hours?

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | March 1, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

southbridegroom - I just got a call from and inbound client from ME...USAirways already cancelled her flight. It could be a combination of the weather up there or down here, but I have a sense the airlines are already adjusting their schedules.

Posted by: Losercuda | March 1, 2009 4:13 PM | Report abuse

300 sq ft, i am also worried. was this expected, or is this a new wrinkle that will hold down accums in our area? sure is taking its time...

Posted by: rhingo | March 1, 2009 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Camden's Crazies... Get ready!

Posted by: SnowMonsterDC | March 1, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

37 degrees F, 64% humidity, no wind at Lincoln, VA. Oh, and no precipitation.

Posted by: seahawkdad | March 1, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

took this pic about 10 minutes ago:

been snowing for about an hour now and we have a good dusting on the ground. started as light snow (BIG quarter size flakes) and now it's gone to normal size but picked up to moderate intensity. temp is 31. I'm in Port Republic, MD(Calvert county) within walking distance of the bay.

Posted by: Jambon99 | March 1, 2009 4:17 PM | Report abuse

No snow yet in Manassas...above freezing.

Posted by: manassasmissy | March 1, 2009 4:18 PM | Report abuse

"It looks like the heavy axis is setting up just outside of the SE corner of the beltway. Unless this starts to tilt or the dry slot to our west fills in quickly, I think we may be in for the biggest disappointment yet this winter."

Like I said in the other thread, I've got a broken clock that's more accurate than the weather forecasts we get around here. I've been told that this is a difficult region for weather prediction for a number of reasons, but it seems like this happens every year. I wonder how the forecast would look if meteorologists were required to state something along the lines of "prior forecast of snow greater than x inches of accumulation were correct y% of the time".

Posted by: wtdoor | March 1, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

100 miles w.s.w. of D.C., I have light snow and 31 degrees at 4:15. .25 inch of new snow during the past hr. on top of the one inch from last night.

Posted by: AugustaJim | March 1, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry but how can sane people honestly ask these questions;

1. How much for (fill in the blanks) when there is a nicely drawn map with snowfall totals on the site. The only conclusion that I can draw is that people do not know where they live.

2. How can someone not know east from west and north from south? That is a skill learned in fourth grade geography.

3. How can adults not be aware of a major snowstorm bearing down on their area? It has only been discussed, reported, and featured on television, the newspapers, and various weather sites since Thursday.

Having said all of that it looks like the snow is entering the southern Virginia suburbs with some light snow to the west in western Loudoun. It appears that when it arrives it will be at least moderate in intensity.

Posted by: MKadyman | March 1, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

rhingo - I think the bullseye was expected to be just S and E of the district, but it's so frustrating to look at radar now - and for the past 4 hours. The shield refuses to budge to the west, and I can almost see it staying there, while we (I live in dwntwn DC) get shafted - yet again.

CWG - any thoughts on the radar returns and western edge?

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | March 1, 2009 4:22 PM | Report abuse

temp down to 35 degrees. no snow yet in Olney.. however,

3-5 inches?.. $100

6-11 inches?..$250

12-18 inches?..$300

19+inches..schools and federal government in DC area closed on Monday? .........PRICELESS

Posted by: SnowLoverOlneyMD | March 1, 2009 4:23 PM | Report abuse

@pyrmom

Yes--up in Frederick, Co -- just a few inches or so are likely.

re: Are temps too high for it to snow?

No...once precip starts air will quickly cool as Camden pointed out...places to the south and southeast have been reporting all snow even with temps starting in the mid-to-upper 30s.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 4:24 PM | Report abuse

The 18z NAM has shifted the axis of heaviest qp approx. 25 miles to the east at the D.C. latitude. Will be interesting to see the 18z GFS in about an hour.

Posted by: AugustaJim | March 1, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

@300_sq_ft

Yes--it has surprised me how long it has taken for the snow to advance northward... but when you consider southwest virginia is currently getting good snows, the movement of the low, and the model guidance which gives us some periods of heavy snow overnight, i'm not panicking about my forecast.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Been snowing lightly here in NW Spotsy.4 2 hrs, although starting 2 pickup in intensity, temp has held steady at 33.7 for last 1.5 hrs. Starting to stick on cars & leaves. Parts of SW Va. have 3-4".

Posted by: VaTechBob | March 1, 2009 4:31 PM | Report abuse

when do we expecet this storm to start in the dc area

Posted by: redskinsfan01 | March 1, 2009 4:34 PM | Report abuse

Jason - thanks for the reply. I really hope you're right. For what it's worth, my prediction:

DCA & BWI - 2-4
IAD - 1-3
RIC - 8-12
around the Bay - 12+

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | March 1, 2009 4:36 PM | Report abuse

light mix in ft washington is picking up a bit in intesity...yippie

Posted by: ftwash | March 1, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Snowing here in Annapolis @ 37F
Go go!

Posted by: LarrySanders | March 1, 2009 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Wet Bulb temperatures are at or above freezing across the entire area. Going to take awhile to see any accumulating snow on area roadways.

Posted by: Curmudgeon4 | March 1, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Not a drop (or flake) yet in Alexandria.

Posted by: kallieh | March 1, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

I was about to say the same thing. No signs of any precip yet today. I'm in Alexandria [Del Ray].

Posted by: aaronsinger | March 1, 2009 4:44 PM | Report abuse

I thought I would be planning to go outside with the kids during the 5:00pm hour to play in the snow. Not looking good...not looking good at all! This has the Price if Right Loser Sound Effect potential: Bummm, Bummmm, Baaaa, Bummmmm!

Posted by: stinkerflat1 | March 1, 2009 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Nada in Manassas yet. *sigh* I left Richmond around noon with a forecast down there for up to a foot...lucky ducks.

I tried calling my airline to get options for tomorrow should this put a serious damper on IAD, and the line was busy. That tells you how bad it is, when an airlines 800 number is busy for well over an hour. :-)

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | March 1, 2009 4:46 PM | Report abuse

Nothing in Potomac yet. Just drove through the Village and it's eerily quiet and empty.

Posted by: someonelikeyou | March 1, 2009 4:48 PM | Report abuse

no snow yet in baltimore. as a fed that works in baltimore i'm hoping we get the heavier closer to the bay amounts...

Posted by: bachaney | March 1, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Curmudgeon4:
Over the last few days we now know why you have that name.

Posted by: jpl1019 | March 1, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I just drove north from Raleigh, NC, to DC and got a good preview of what's to come. From Raleigh to Richmond, it poured down rain (it had already been raining in Raleigh for a day and a half). Just north of Richmond, we had a brief band of ice, followed by heavy snow from Richmond to Fredricksburg. Nothing at my home in DC right now, but when it gets here, it's going to be impressive. The ground was already covered north of Richmond.

Posted by: jlspivey | March 1, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

My mom in Alabama (near Birmingham) said the storm reminded her of the 93 blizzard. The same type of snow and the very strong winds. They picked up 2-3 inches - so no blizzard this time, but this is a very powerful system. I hope snow totals are higher than expected....

Posted by: dotyt | March 1, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

18Z GFS still showing decent snows for the metro area precip wise.

Posted by: Snowman_In_Herndon | March 1, 2009 4:49 PM | Report abuse

No snow here as of 4:45 PM. Plenty of radar echoes south of here.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | March 1, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Ok, so clearly the storm is arriving later than expected. Is that necessarily bad for snowfall totals? I mean, just because it's coming later doesn't mean we will get less snow. We might just get it all later than was expected. Right?

Posted by: PeterBethesda | March 1, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

As you requested, at 1650 hrs EST at 11th Street and U Street, NW, in Washington, DC, the streets are dry, there is no precipitation, and the sky is very overcast. Looks like the snow, if any, will be starting later here.

Posted by: mike41 | March 1, 2009 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Snow falling just north of Fredericksburg, VA. Small flakes, falling very fast, roads wet, light wind.

Posted by: staticvars | March 1, 2009 4:52 PM | Report abuse

To state the obvious, the snow is delayed in getting here by several hours (compared to our forecasts and the models). But no strong rationale to change our snowfall forecast. I just posted a new update post...

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 1, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Woo hoo!! Snow's been coming down gently since around 4:30 p.m. in Edgewater MD

Posted by: rustie | March 1, 2009 4:54 PM | Report abuse

jpl1019, I am proud of my curmudgeonliness!

Pushing 5 pm and still no precip here at the Curmudgeon estate.

Guess I won't be able to use the "sun angle" argument any more today.

I was correct in stating that temps would rise to the upper 30s to lower 40s across much of the area this afternoon.

Posted by: Curmudgeon4 | March 1, 2009 4:55 PM | Report abuse

That is truly a beautiful 18Z GFS. If it comes to fruition, first round is on me.

Posted by: 300_sq_ft | March 1, 2009 4:56 PM | Report abuse

18z GFS shifted 10 miles to the west. Good News!!!

Posted by: AugustaJim | March 1, 2009 4:57 PM | Report abuse

This may go down as The '09 Non-storm of the Western Shield (NWS)...

Posted by: gen_coz | March 1, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Snowman, that Gfs has even the western suburbs getting .75 in of precip. wow.

Posted by: ksrgatorfn1 | March 1, 2009 4:58 PM | Report abuse

First snowflakes just starting to fall in Wesley Heights (NWDC)

Posted by: dc52687 | March 1, 2009 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Sleet falling as dusk falls upon Falls Church. Still all too grey outside. Waiting for those big white instant mashed potato flakes as darkness descends....

Posted by: MiltonWaddams | March 1, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Earlysville VA 22936 we've had a few light ands come through but nothing at all now. I'm getting less and less optimstic and think we're too far West this time... :(

Posted by: carrerascott | March 1, 2009 5:16 PM | Report abuse

Snow just starting in Shirlington. Here we go.

Posted by: jochpo | March 1, 2009 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Snow just started ~10 minutes ago here in Bethesda.

Posted by: nlcaldwell | March 1, 2009 5:22 PM | Report abuse

temps down to 35 and snowing pretty good in ft washington. Sticking to rooftops and mulched areas. I can say for certainty that this will be a good one...can't get the snowblower start...lol!

Posted by: ftwash | March 1, 2009 5:57 PM | Report abuse

It is snowing HARD in Tenleytown.

Posted by: mjwies11 | March 1, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Please people. Cool your jets. This is a nothing burger. It dies here in Fredericksburg. Nothing happening. A tease, and then, death.

Posted by: Duke-of-Fredericksburg | March 1, 2009 8:06 PM | Report abuse

I called US Airways and they told me my flight was still on. I was on hold with them for about 45 min. After another 2 hours on hold with my travel agent I was told US air had cancelled my 9am flight, and I'm now booked on a 7:25pm flight this evening. Of course US Airways never gave me the decency of a phone call to let me know this. So I'm sure I'm a lot better off than a lot of other folks. I'm just frustrated that the snow is coming when I have to leave town. :( I was so looking forward to playing in the snow with my kids.

Posted by: southbridgemom | March 2, 2009 12:31 AM | Report abuse