The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 5:30 AM ET, 03/ 2/2009

Snow Rallies, Temps Plummet, Winds Pick Up

By Jason Samenow

Difficult travel this morning - use caution

* Winter Storm Warning through 2 p.m. today *

* CWG on: Twitter & Facebook | Weather Wall | SnowCam *

* New Feature: Report Your Snow Totals - Interactive Snow Mapping *

snow-playground.jpg
Snow covers a playground in Glover Park in the District last night. By Ian Livingston

After a very slow start, the storm that looked like it could be a complete total dud (in the snowfall department) came on strong overnight. Temperatures crashed, winds strengthened and many parts of the metro area now have 2-4" of snow on the ground. East of I-95, snow totals are over 4-6" or more in many instances.

Several additional inches of snow are possible through mid-morning (when it will begin to taper off), with the greatest totals to the east and northeast. With winds of 20-30 mph, the snow which has fallen may blow around in open areas. Temperatures will remain below freezing and mostly in the low-to-mid 20s while the snow continues.

By Jason Samenow  | March 2, 2009; 5:30 AM ET
Categories:  Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Snow Picks Back Up, Windy...
Next: Alert: Very Heavy Snow Next 1-2 Hours

Comments

It truly is a beautiful morning here in Lake Ridge!! What a snowstorm!!!

Posted by: ZmanVA | March 2, 2009 5:52 AM | Report abuse

Great job CWG, looks like your forecast is panning out after all. Since most of the rude people who attacked you guys last night are probably hiding, I apologize for them.

Posted by: bhfairfax | March 2, 2009 6:01 AM | Report abuse

Starting snowing heavy again at 4:00 am and still coming down heavy at 6:00am with strong winds. Going to easily bypass the 1-3 inch total that was predicted for carroll county.

Posted by: jamesg2 | March 2, 2009 6:02 AM | Report abuse

Forecast is panning out? I live near Key Bridge and I have barely 1 inch. If the forecast had "panned out" I'd be covered in 6-8".

Posted by: tristesse27 | March 2, 2009 6:05 AM | Report abuse

no, you would be covered in 4-8'', and it is still snowing moderately.

Posted by: bhfairfax | March 2, 2009 6:09 AM | Report abuse

Snow Day! Well, half a snow day. This is the first time Georgetown has called off classes in years. The hotline guy even sounded grumpy. The last time classes were cancelled was for a hurricane that never came, and our university overlords were not happy. The prevailing understanding was that we would not get classes off for weather ever again. Not even for the apocalypse. Even if it is only morning classes, this day will be burned in my memory forever.

Posted by: WisforTungsten | March 2, 2009 6:12 AM | Report abuse

Our roads were plowed at 3am but are completely covered again with heavy snow falling at 6:20am. I am not looking forward to shoveling the driveway and going to work when this finally ends!

Posted by: david_in_stafford | March 2, 2009 6:19 AM | Report abuse

3" on the ground and still coming down in Shirlington.

Posted by: jochpo | March 2, 2009 6:23 AM | Report abuse

Nice work CWG. Fed opening two hours late - would have been better if they were closed but I'm not going to be picky, especially with the kind of winters we have been having lately. I wonder if we will see apologies from the people who were posting nasty and rude comments last night?

Posted by: tnewton726 | March 2, 2009 6:24 AM | Report abuse

Heaviest snow of the storm so far in upper NW DC

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 2, 2009 6:35 AM | Report abuse

@tristesse27

Also, don't forget that you are close to the river, which is going to keep your snow totals down regardless. A better idea would be to drive a mile away from the river and see what they have. I'm over in Ballston and have much more snow than an inch.

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | March 2, 2009 6:36 AM | Report abuse

I'd say we got two inches during the night. Just about enough for sledding; however, it is snowing in earnest now. The kids are doing the dance. I take back my dud comment - I'm awfully glad the storm decided to give N. Arlington some love!

Posted by: badmommy | March 2, 2009 6:37 AM | Report abuse

It's beautiful down here in Ft Washington. Everything covered in a blanket of snow..and it's still snowing! For all of you MoCo's, FFXers, Loudonites and Fredrick's...now you know what it is usually like for us in the S & E...listening to those of you more in the N & W and your tales of inches! Suck it up and quit your griping. As for my 2 cents...good job CWG...you guys rock!!

Posted by: ftwash | March 2, 2009 6:37 AM | Report abuse

That radar out there is beautiful. I'm on a delayed opening, so i'm just going to enjoy it this morning. The next few hours will be great for heavy/windy snow.

And after a night of broken comments, I am now back online. Yeah!

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | March 2, 2009 6:37 AM | Report abuse

Sterling, VA - we had a plow on our back road around 2am that at least exposed some pavement, and when I went out at 5:15 it was still exposed and I was able to quickly clear my driveway. An hour later, the snow had really picked up and it's all covered again. Snow's dropping at a moderate clip now, larger flakes with some blowing, and just under 20F.

Posted by: kmcandrew | March 2, 2009 6:46 AM | Report abuse

3.75" to 4.5" in West Springfield and still coming down moderately. A very pretty, crunchy snow.

Posted by: novamatt | March 2, 2009 6:47 AM | Report abuse

Great piece on NBC4 showing clear roads (in SE I think) when the crew set up at 4:30 am that are now snow covered with over an inch now. Great returns right now.

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | March 2, 2009 6:51 AM | Report abuse

It's beautiful here in the Fairfax County part of Alexandria…snow coming down at a good clip, in the 20's, and sticking to everything. It looked like about 4 inches during my morning walk with the dog about an hour ago.

Posted by: beth_in_alexandria | March 2, 2009 6:52 AM | Report abuse

Really cranking in Germantown. After being on the razor's edge of the snow and trapped in the dry donut hole much of last evening, it looks like for once the heaviest snow is centered around our neck of the woods.

And I hope all of those folks who stomped their widdle feet and had their 4-year old style temper tantrums on here last night are all hitting themselves in the face with custard pies this morning. It is what you deserve.

Posted by: mcj59 | March 2, 2009 6:56 AM | Report abuse

OBS from Chevy Chase, MD -- between Friendship Heights and downtown Bethesda (less than a mile from the NW DC border.)

Snowing like gangubsters and SO beautiful. I measured 4 inches in one spot on my front yard and 5 inches on the other.

Posted by: SoMoCo | March 2, 2009 7:05 AM | Report abuse

At 6:10 or so, Lee Highway near Courthouse was just wet after a good plowing, but with the wind and snow picking up it was solid white by 6:40. Snow's looking good right now!

Posted by: juggler9000 | March 2, 2009 7:07 AM | Report abuse

Very heavy snow band sweeping through NW Montgomery at this time. People in Germantown, Gaithersburg, Olney, and points in between should see this band shortly.

Temperature at 6:15 was 21.5
Now 19.7

Posted by: MKadyman | March 2, 2009 7:13 AM | Report abuse

SO CWG how long will this batch of heavy snow last. It is currrently dumpng heavy windwept snow?

Posted by: bkaestner1 | March 2, 2009 7:21 AM | Report abuse

New thread is up, moving comments over to there. Hit the front page to find our latest thoughts

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | March 2, 2009 7:29 AM | Report abuse

Perspective from the NM mountains: DC area is totally unprepared for snow events. My suggestion to the roads dept or whatever is to stockpile mountains of red cinders, that is what we use here.

2--4 inches. A mere bagatelle.

Posted by: dotellen | March 2, 2009 8:24 AM | Report abuse