The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 7:30 PM ET, 03/ 2/2009

Tonight's Deep Freeze and Black Ice Threat

By Jason Samenow

Record lows may be challenged

* Black ice likely overnight; Wind Chill Advisory Midnight to 9 a.m. *

* Closings/delays | Forecast for Tomorrow | Recap/Photos | Submit Your Photos | Chat Transcript | Deicing Tips | Winter Weather Driving Tips *

* View/Report Snow Totals - Map | Snow Totals from NWS *

* CWG on: Twitter & Facebook | Weather Wall | SnowCam *

Temperatures: Current area temperatures. Powered by Weather Bonk. Map by Google. Hover over and click icons for more info. Click and hold on map to pan. Refresh page to update. See map bigger on our Weather Wall.

Fresh snow cover and Arctic air spilling in behind our departing storm will allow temperatures to plunge overnight. Lows will dip to 10-15 inside the beltway and downtown and from 8-11 outside the beltway. A wind from the northwest at 10-15 mph will make it feel like the single digits to near zero.

The record lows for tomorrow at the area airports are 11 at Reagan National (1925), 12 at BWI (1925), and 12 at Dulles (1980). The BWI and Dulles records are within reach, but Reagan will probably come up just shy of its record.

IMPACT FORECASTS

SchoolCast*:

East of I-95 -

West of I-95 -

DC (in its own universe) -

FedCast: capitol-black.jpgcapitol-gray.jpgcapitol-gray.jpg

* SchoolCast only applies to schools not already closed or delayed.

By Jason Samenow  | March 2, 2009; 7:30 PM ET
Categories:  Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Snow Moves Out, Cold & Wind Linger
Next: Forecast: Freezing Today, Then Steadily Warmer

Comments

Might have to downgrade that schoolcast even east of 95. Anne Arundel County is only on a 2-hour delayed opening, even though they were one of the hardest hit areas.

This snow was quite easy to shovel, and the sunshine melted a lot of it on the roadways even though the temps were only in the low 20s for highs.

Posted by: JTF- | March 2, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

JTF--good point. I'll revise to 2.5 apples there. Appreciate your input.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 2, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Boo, JTF! Don't ruin it! =)

Posted by: edwardappleby | March 2, 2009 7:36 PM | Report abuse

How cold do folks think it will get at the airports tonight? I'll say DCA - 14, IAD - 10, and BWI 11

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 2, 2009 7:42 PM | Report abuse

DCA - 17
IAD - 15
BWI - 16

Posted by: pjdunn1 | March 2, 2009 7:46 PM | Report abuse

Ffx has not announced yet. I can only assume that means they have not yet decided whether to close or delay. I cannot imagine an on time opening. I was out in Fairfax (near GMU) earlier this evening, and there were many streets that were not plowed. Parking lots were hit or miss. So I will keep waiting and hoping!

Posted by: janedoe5 | March 2, 2009 7:47 PM | Report abuse

Guesses:

DCA - 12
IAD - 9
BWI - 10

I, as well, am hoping that if PWC doesn't open on-time (or at all) they call it tonight. Oh well, until then, I'm waiting patiently.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | March 2, 2009 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Colder than I care for. Come on Spring

Posted by: grobinette | March 2, 2009 7:50 PM | Report abuse

janedoe5,

I echo your comments here. Must be between a delay or close... I would just like to know sometime in the near future. Based on the temperatures, nothing much will change between now and 5 AM tomorrow morning.

Posted by: wecndo | March 2, 2009 7:55 PM | Report abuse

@edwardappleby: I calls it likes I sees it!

Posted by: JTF- | March 2, 2009 8:02 PM | Report abuse

Charles County is opening 2 hours late.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | March 2, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

I have to wonder how much the wind will keep temperatures up tonight.

It could be that tomorrow night will be the colder of the two nights, especially if there is still some snow cover left.

Posted by: Curmudgeon4 | March 2, 2009 8:04 PM | Report abuse

Current conditions: 10.9F (east of Front Royal, 1900 ft)

Overnight Low Temp Predictions:
DCA: 9
IAD: 7
BWI: 6

By the way, who won the airport snow prediction?

Posted by: spgass1 | March 2, 2009 8:07 PM | Report abuse

Finally tapped out at 28 last night, after the lobster froze to death.

The schools will be closed of course. Too many teachers still hung over. They'll be closed all week! One inch of snow closed MoCo schools for two days a month or two ago! God forbid a bus takes an extra half hour to get to school and the kids have to wait a few extra minutes outside. Somehow the risk of one or two kids getting frostbite outweighs the millions of dollars in lost productivity from parents having to stay home?! It makes me shake just to think about it. I'm going to have another beer or nine!

Posted by: SnowMonsterDC | March 2, 2009 8:10 PM | Report abuse

Everything is closed in Richmond area school wise. We got about 8.5 with this afternoon's brief snow shower. Heavy drifting during the afternoon. Main roads are clear, with some small amounts of wetness. Secondary streets were clear but wet at 6:30. Neighborhood roads were still unplowed/untreated.

Posted by: Registration1982 | March 2, 2009 8:13 PM | Report abuse

Just remember. SOme of you may change from a 2hr to a closing. Happened in 2003.

Posted by: hoyafan516 | March 2, 2009 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Antioch Baptist Church - All activities canceled

Daycare/Aftercare

Kids In His Care Day Care - Open 2 hours late

Posted by: KBurchfiel | March 2, 2009 8:29 PM | Report abuse

FFX has 2 hour delay.

Posted by: wecndo | March 2, 2009 8:31 PM | Report abuse

Fairfax County has 2 hour delay.

Posted by: Vienna8425 | March 2, 2009 8:33 PM | Report abuse

Fairfax will open 2 hours late tomorrow.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | March 2, 2009 8:36 PM | Report abuse

Any guess for PGCPS? I assume a two-hour delay, but I don't know how badly the southern part of the county was hit.

Posted by: edwardappleby | March 2, 2009 8:37 PM | Report abuse

Whoops, sorry about that...2 people beat me to it. I've posted too much tonight anyway...shutting up now. ;)

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | March 2, 2009 8:38 PM | Report abuse

Anywho... I was wildly and unrealistically hoping for another day off, but two hours really isn't so bad.

Posted by: wecndo | March 2, 2009 8:46 PM | Report abuse

amazing coverage cwg, as usual... i enjoyed the snow day off :) not too happy about navigating the icy sidewalks tomorrow, but the snow was worth it.

Posted by: madisondc | March 2, 2009 8:50 PM | Report abuse

CWG:
is it really not going above freezing tomorrow?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | March 2, 2009 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Superb. I'm going to have a swell time trying to get out of my parking garage (it slants upwards toward the street and is brick) and to school tomorrow. I'm sure it will be a super productive day with my 7th graders...all of whom, I'm sure will have their homework. Please note sarcasm.

Posted by: HistoryTchr | March 2, 2009 8:57 PM | Report abuse

SnowMonsterDC, you crack me up!

CWG, your online weather package is the best thing ever. Keep up the good work! We've never had anything like this is the metro area before.

Posted by: mwelsh | March 2, 2009 8:58 PM | Report abuse

WHOA!!!

Tomorrow, 3/3/2009, all Prince William County Public Schools are closed on Code Green. The School Age Care Program will not open.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | March 2, 2009 9:03 PM | Report abuse

*shakes fist in response to PWC*

Posted by: wecndo | March 2, 2009 9:08 PM | Report abuse

What. The. Heck. Did I miss something here? Did PWC get more snow or have more black ice than FFX? I will probably make every FFX parent on here angry, but seriously, we had one more day left built in...just give it to us! Spring break seems oh so far away.

Posted by: HistoryTchr | March 2, 2009 9:14 PM | Report abuse

:) Still pretty and white outside in Manassas...the cold is keeping away the dreaded slush.

Posted by: manassasmissy | March 2, 2009 9:20 PM | Report abuse

Ann-CapitalWeatherGang I'm not talking about a snowfall map. I am suggesting an interactive map where selected users with proper equipment could contribute on a daily basis. Temperatures and precip would probably be the things that people would be interested in.

Posted by: MKadyman | March 2, 2009 9:31 PM | Report abuse

Hey HistoryTchr:

I predicted this while talking to my mom on the phone earlier. I said that the only reason for closing schools would be to use our last snow day up and save money on electricity. We have to power down all of our computers over the weekend to save money, and an extra day out of school would save even more.

Posted by: anpanman | March 2, 2009 9:34 PM | Report abuse

HistoryTchr-
I know. Really.
We could all use the break!

Posted by: Lisse24 | March 2, 2009 9:38 PM | Report abuse

anpanman: Good point. They make the teachers in PWC unplug everything in their classrooms before they leave for the weekend. I don't know how much money it saves, but it must be quite a bit.

PG county is on a 2 hour delay.

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | March 2, 2009 9:39 PM | Report abuse

weatherdudeVA:

Last year, before the budget crisis, my principal had us turning the monitors on all of our classroom computers off every night, and it saved a LOT of money. We were able to buy more instructional stuff for our school. I can imagine that turning the whole computer off saves even more. It's a slight hassle, but definitely worth it.

Posted by: anpanman | March 2, 2009 9:59 PM | Report abuse

Wind chill advisory in effect. Brrrr!

Posted by: JTF- | March 2, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

OK, going to bed now. Just finished watching 24, by far the best show on tv today.

I'll be going to work tomorrow. Cable Chains are already on the tires to get out to the main road.

Current conditions: 9.0F on the Blue Ridge in Northern Va

Posted by: spgass1 | March 2, 2009 10:05 PM | Report abuse

City of Manassas schools are closed as well. No Country roads here, and having taken a drive around earlier, I have no idea why they decided to keep the schools closed.

Posted by: irish031 | March 2, 2009 10:19 PM | Report abuse

@MKadyman

We'd like to do something like you propose. It's in our long term plans...but no ETA yet.

@walter-in-falls-church

We think it should stay below freezing but it will be close... Nonetheles snow will melt given sun...and fine, powdery nature of snow.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 2, 2009 10:45 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone tell my WHY all these schools are closing/delayed for tomorrow? Does this happen everytime theres a storm around here? Roads are fine, it's not going to be THAT cold, I don't get it. 2 days to get over a 6-8" snowstorm? That's pushing it.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | March 2, 2009 10:51 PM | Report abuse

Brian,
Welcome to DC dude! Cracks me up too, but don't allow yourself to preach, it doesn't go over well. It is what it is. :)

Posted by: curtmccormick | March 2, 2009 10:58 PM | Report abuse

my predictions for the morning lows

dca 11
Iad 11
Bwi 10

not much of a heat island tonight

Posted by: pvogel88 | March 2, 2009 11:03 PM | Report abuse

Brian, just accept it and move on. ;)

Posted by: PeterBethesda | March 2, 2009 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Gotta have more domes...

Posted by: goheels12 | March 2, 2009 11:11 PM | Report abuse

Brian, have you noticed people don't know how to drive here when it is sunny and clear? You really want drivers on the roads in less than ideal conditions?

Plus, for some reason, if the main roads are cleared the folks in charge of snow removal consider their job done. Meanwhile everyone who is NOT on a major road, can't get anywhere. So, if no one can get to school, there is no point in opening.

Posted by: epjd | March 2, 2009 11:14 PM | Report abuse

Brian,

I used to think the same thing when I lived inside the beltway but once I moved to Reston I understood why school sometimes has to close.

Take a drive on Hunter Mill Road or Laywers Road and you will see what I mean. Lots of hills and curves with tress near inches from the road. Fox Mill Road even still has a one lane bridge -- I kid you not !

Posted by: photojenn | March 2, 2009 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Brian,

Safety should always trump toughness. This isn't Boston or Chicago. Yes, main roads are fine, but many bus routes are not. My street in Arlington is a solid sheet of ice. If it means taking an extra hour or two to make sure kids get to school safely then what's the big deal. I will never understand why toughness over safety has become this huge issue here. It's not a big deal.

Posted by: schrute | March 2, 2009 11:33 PM | Report abuse

Do you think MoCo would upgrade from a delay?

Posted by: swimdude412 | March 2, 2009 11:55 PM | Report abuse

Where is Al Gore skiing now that so much snow is falling and global warming has been put on hold.

Posted by: mharwick | March 3, 2009 2:59 AM | Report abuse