The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:45 AM ET, 03/ 6/2009

Warm Weekend is Perfect Time to Save Daylight

By Dan Stillman

* Springing Into the 70s This Weekend: Our Full Forecast *

How sweet it is: Daylight saving time arrives at 2 a.m. Sunday. (That means you need to turn your clocks forward one hour before bed Saturday night.) And we're gonna get a heck of an extra hour of daylight Sunday evening with temperatures likely to be in the 60s at sunset (7:08 p.m.) -- after afternoon highs in the mid-70s!

Have something else in mind? Share with the group in a comment below...

By Dan Stillman  | March 6, 2009; 10:45 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Warm, Warmer, Then Warmer Still
Next: Any Day Can Be a Snow Day: Create a Flake

Comments

While I'll enjoy the fact that I will no be able to make it home from work prior to dark, I do not appreciate that this falls on a weekend that I have to work. I wonder if my boss would mind if I waited to move an hour ahead until mid-day sunday....

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | March 6, 2009 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I've been looking forward to more daylight for a while now. I love winter, but the warm season is preferrable for someone who lives in the city and walks everywhere... at least as far as I am concerned. I am planning on an 8-10 mile walk to ring in DST on Sunday!

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | March 6, 2009 11:37 AM | Report abuse

Let me be the first to point out your "perect" headline typo :)

Posted by: jimfergusonj | March 6, 2009 11:39 AM | Report abuse

jimfergusonj: thanks for pointing that out, it will be fixed.

Posted by: Andrew-CapitalWeatherGang | March 6, 2009 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Oh and the answer is going for a couple of long beautiful bike rides in Fauqier and Loudon counties. I've been riding all winter dressed like a snowman. I'm letting it all hang out this weekend. Watch out for these pasty white thighs!

Posted by: jimfergusonj | March 6, 2009 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Frankly I think we're making this change way too early. I'm upset with the huge swath of darkness from 5:30 AM to well past 7 AM. It doesn't really save that much energy for me.

I'd rather make the change in April as it used to be or the weekend of the vernal equinox. The first week of March is way too early and results in Christmas-like early morning darkness which really bugs me this time of year.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | March 6, 2009 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Count me among the growing horde who feel that daylight savings time should be shortened by a month on both ends. (If it were eliminated entirely, I wouldn't complain.)

Posted by: shoveit | March 6, 2009 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Some current winter temperatures:

Shologontsy: -9F
Verkhoyansk: -25F
Oymyakon: -29F
Summit Station, Greenland: -40F
Vostok, Antarctica: -62F (actually a SUMMER temperature, as Antarctica is still in summertime! During the winter, Vostok can drop as low as -120F or lower.)

Posted by: Bombo47jea | March 6, 2009 12:55 PM | Report abuse

It's the most wonderful time of the year...

I vote for EXTENDING daylight savings time to encompass the entire year. As someone who is not required to wake up at 5:30 AM (and has no inclination to do so), daylight savings time represents a huge boost to the available daylight in my day.

Posted by: stuckman | March 6, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Collect the money owed to me by my hoes. They're going to tell me that they weren't able to make as much because they lost an hour overnight, but to that I say "b----, where's my m------------ money????"

Posted by: wapo9 | March 6, 2009 3:17 PM | Report abuse

There may be a wee bit of problem with our 3:17 entry . . .

Posted by: fallschurch1 | March 6, 2009 3:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm with Bombo that it's too early for DST, but I also agree with stuckman that we should just have it year-round and be done with it...it's the change that gets me, both spring and fall. And while I'm at it, I also agree with fallschurch1: Can we get rid of wapo9's 3:17pm entry, please?

Posted by: --sg | March 6, 2009 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Very disappointed. I am a snow lover and my facebook status declared my sympathy for dying snow that haven't lived a full week. Poor, poor snow.

However I am even more disappointed that I have a six-hour straight of orientation. Why me? There better be windows in the room or I will go crazy!!!

Lucky for me, Sunday does give me a chance to step outside-- however I have to bring two small children to a playground to keep them occupied as I tan-- hey, tanning should be added to your poll!

Posted by: SanDieganLostinDC | March 6, 2009 11:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm upset about the early DST too. I was just getting to the point where the sky was *starting* to get light when I got into work--very exciting. And then DST comes through and is going to destroy all that. They're putting the extra daylight at entirely the wrong time of the day.

Posted by: Promethia | March 7, 2009 10:58 AM | Report abuse