The new Washington
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:55 AM ET, 03/ 2/2009

Recap and Photos: Washington with Snow

By Kevin Ambrose

* Winter Storm Warning through 2 p.m. today *

* More snow showers possible this afternoon...along with very strong winds (gusts to 40 mph) and blowing snow | Our full forecast | Live Chat at 1 p.m. *

* CWG on: Twitter & Facebook | Weather Wall | SnowCam *

* New Feature: Report Your Snow Totals - Interactive Snow Mapping *

Fresh powder on the Mall provides excellent cross country skiing conditions. Photo: Kevin Ambrose

We finally received our long overdue Washington snowstorm! The snow arrived during the overnight hours, after many of us had already pulled the plug on the storm and the rest of the winter season. Yesterday, the heavy snow stayed just to the east of DC, but late last night the upper level low to our south spun into the area producing heavy snowfall rates and near zero visibility for the entire area. The snow totals across the immediate DC area ranged from 5 to 8". More snow, however, fell to our south and east, with Leonardtown in St Marys County reporting 11" of snow. More snow totals are available from the National Weather Service and you can also refer to our snow map.

Keep reading for more photos from the storm from CWG photographers Kevin Ambrose and Ian Livingston...

gloverpark1_web.jpg
Heavy snow falls near Wisconsin Avenue. Photo: Ian Livingston

smithsonian_web.jpg
The Smithsonian during the peak of this morning's snowfall.Photo: Kevin Ambrose

iansnow_web.jpg
Snow settles on pine needles in Northwest DC.Photo: Ian Livingston

By Kevin Ambrose  | March 2, 2009; 11:55 AM ET
Categories:  Photography
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Snow to Wind Down, Remaining Windy & Cold
Next: PM Update: Snow Moves Out, Cold & Wind Linger

Comments

First Comment? Flakes are coming down agin here in Foggy Bottom...let's hope we get some from this backfill!

Posted by: ironmanjt | March 2, 2009 12:06 PM | Report abuse

What's with the persistant snow bands in central VA (as of noon)? Doesn't make sense.....that stuff should all have moved NE by now, with the upper low, but they keep re-forming to the SW of DC. This is annoying.....we've had enough.

Posted by: MMCarhelp | March 2, 2009 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Any current obs from our friends in Fredericksburg about whether the radar is verifying?

Posted by: ParkerGP | March 2, 2009 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Flakes have been coming down for about 30 to 45 min here in Richmond. Additional accumulation minimal... maybe .25" so far, but it makes for a beautiful scene!

Posted by: Registration1982 | March 2, 2009 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Parker -- see previous entry for verification from further south. You guys should see some additional beauty shortly

Posted by: Registration1982 | March 2, 2009 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Have to admit I read it wrong.

I just went out and came back from blowing 6" of powder here in NE Montgomery County.

21 degrees, Wind has started to pick up, gusts are pretty strong 21MPH and it's a steady 5 MPH.

Drifts in my backyard up to 2', although being against a large wall helped that.

I hadn't used the snowblower in 2-3 years, I was having so much fun that I cleared the common driveway, and 2 of my neighbor's driveways. I had fun, and they'll invite me over for beers.

This was a nice snow. No complaints here.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | March 2, 2009 12:39 PM | Report abuse

@MMCarhelp

Still some spin in the atmosphere generating some lift... that's the only plausible explanation.

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | March 2, 2009 12:40 PM | Report abuse

Thanks Registration1982. So much for getting any work done today. Light flurries at 14th & I. Here's to hoping this gives us more than a glancing shot to the south and east.

Posted by: ParkerGP | March 2, 2009 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Just finished shoveling and it started to snow again. Now I'm getting annoyed.

Please tell me this is the last time I'm gonna have to shovel this season.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | March 2, 2009 12:54 PM | Report abuse

My husband called me bored from work today. He's a teacher in southeast DC. Today there were 20 students altogether in his K-6th school. 8 teachers. Normally there are over 300 students and over 25 teachers.

20 students and 8 teachers!

So even though DCPS didn't close, apparently it might as well have.

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | March 2, 2009 12:56 PM | Report abuse

ThinkSpring, It's a good bet that this will be the last snow of this season. Having lived here 30 years now, I can say that we very commonly get an early March snow. And often quite deep. Yet because of the time of year, it melts pretty quickly. By next week, most of this will be a memory and some ice mounds.

It's probably the most snow we've gotten in 2-3 years. At least around my house.

Posted by: Ombudsman1 | March 2, 2009 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Light-to-moderate snow here at Union Station... the winds are really whipping it around!

Posted by: SkywalkerSS | March 2, 2009 1:00 PM | Report abuse

I looked out the window and thought it was snowing again. Then I noticed it was snowing UP. Guess it's the wind blowing the old snow along with the new stuff coming down. Very confusing.

Posted by: epjd | March 2, 2009 1:05 PM | Report abuse

It's just started again in Riverdale Park. I measured 5.75" on the picnic table a couple of hours ago -- it's in the middle of the yard, away from trees and buildings.

Posted by: reginak | March 2, 2009 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Radar really exploding over the region, let's see what happens. also looks like decent intensity SE and way NW of the city.

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | March 2, 2009 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Any chance of more snow in bethesda? Roads are terrible. Sheets of ice covered in snow. All roads are terrible exept for main road but that still has slick spots. Busses will not be able to go on those roads. 5 Plows in the neighborhood. All by passing side roads where busses travel. Leaving now. Didn't do anything. THere is a band of snow on the radar. Is that coming our way? Nothing in bethesda at the moment. ???

Posted by: hoyafan516 | March 2, 2009 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Take it back. Light Light snow in Bethesda. Will it accumulate? Roads will freeze tonight. Commute will be a mess! I think some schools will close some on a 2 hr delay. How long will this light snow in the region last?

Posted by: hoyafan516 | March 2, 2009 1:12 PM | Report abuse

It's 23.9*F in Brookeville, MD, with light-moderate snow and so far ~6 inches or more of snow in places. Chance of 2-hour delay for MoCo tommorow?

Posted by: bastings | March 2, 2009 1:14 PM | Report abuse

The urban myth of March snow history keeps living on. This is a rare event, so enjoy it as such. On average, a 4+" snowfall in March in Washington will take over 10 years to reappear. (And yes, I've lived in the area since 1957, although not 100% continuously.)

Posted by: CapitalClimate | March 2, 2009 1:15 PM | Report abuse

WELL SO FAR HERE IN SPRINGFIELD, MASS. HAVE HAD 1 FT. OF SNOW. STILL MORE COMING. YES SCHOOLS, CITY OFFICES ARE CLOSWED DOWN. ALSO MALLS-EASTFIELD & HOLYOKE MALL WON'T OPPEN TILL 2 P.M. MORE THAN 80% FLIGHTS ARE CANCELLED. HATE THESE WICKED STORMS. PLEASE BRING THE WARM WEATHER TO MELT IT ALL. STREETS PRESENTLY ARE VERY BAD WITH NUMEROUS ACCIDENTS ALL OVER INCLUDING THE MASS. TURPIKE ALONG WITH GOING INTO CONN.

Posted by: joplefka | March 2, 2009 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Moco Delay???? Moco CLOSING! I may sound crazy but if you saw my neighborhood you'd be shocked. Roads are terrible!! Cars can barely get up them. SNow plows have already left and they didn't plow anything! 1/17 roads in my neighborhood are plowed. What about you guys? how are your roads?

Posted by: hoyafan516 | March 2, 2009 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Lightest of light snows here in G'burg. Looks like the March sun has heated the cleared roads sufficiently to stop any new accumulation.

Posted by: MDScot | March 2, 2009 1:22 PM | Report abuse

hoya: Haven't we been through this before? Just calm down. If Montgomery County closes, they will make an announcement when they make the decision. If your roads are "terrible" then they are probably like that elsewhere in MoCo. Here in PWC the roads and sidewalks aren't exactly peachy, either. I'm praying and hoping for another snow day just as much as you are, but constantly posting it here won't help any. My completely uneducated, uninformed guesstimate says that there is at least a 70% chance of a delay tomorrow, solely due to the cold/winds.

Just take a deep breath, and keep reloading WUSA*9's school closings. They have the best out of anybody (Sorry WaPo :p ).

Posted by: weatherdudeVA | March 2, 2009 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Montgomery Co. plows will next start focusing on main side roads and stuff. It may be a little while before they can get to the remote streets like dead end ones. My guess is for a delay tomorrow here in Moco. plows should have plenty of time. That said, doesn't the salt start becoming less effective down in the teens?

Posted by: Kmlwx | March 2, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Riverdale Park Public Works ROCKS. My road is clear!

Posted by: reginak | March 2, 2009 1:30 PM | Report abuse

hoyafan, you did this last time too. It seems like you are interested in the weather solely because it helps close schools sometimes.

Just calm down, sit back, enjoy the snow and pipe down. You're getting really obnoxious. I'm sure the Capital Wx Gang doesn't want you spamming up their site.

Posted by: Kmlwx | March 2, 2009 1:31 PM | Report abuse

ALright... DEEP BREATHS.....DEEP BREATHS...

Posted by: hoyafan516 | March 2, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Actually, Riverdale Park PRIVATE works rock too. My next-door neighbor cleared my long front sidewalk with his snow-blower, without even saying anything to me. I don't know if he even knows I'm sick with a cold. Just neighborly!

Posted by: reginak | March 2, 2009 1:48 PM | Report abuse

Measured about 7.5" here in Greenbelt on my deck around 10 a.m., which was also the average of several backyard measurements (6-9 inches, with deeper drifts that I didn't measure). Still getting light to moderate snow flurries.
Congrats to CWG for a great forecast, and thanks to the Greenbelt DPW for the good plowing. I'm off to REI to see if they've still got x-country skis!

Posted by: markf40 | March 2, 2009 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Been snowing again in Carroll for the last 45 mins. Last time I measured it was just over 9 inches.

Posted by: jamesg2 | March 2, 2009 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Sunny and no snow here in the City of Manassas.

Posted by: irish031 | March 2, 2009 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Snowing in Crystal City right now. Kept thinking it was just wind-whipped stuff that was already on the ground, but...

Posted by: Juan-John | March 2, 2009 2:10 PM | Report abuse

A question for the snow experts out there: This snow isn't "packing" snow the kind to build a snowman, right? I tried earlier to get a snowman going, but it wouldn't hold together.

Posted by: jojo2008 | March 2, 2009 2:17 PM | Report abuse

jojo2008, when the temperature is well below freezing and the snow is dry, building a snowman is not possible. Later this week, when the temperature goes above freezing, give it a try again.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | March 2, 2009 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Congrats and way to go, CWG! We heard about you from friends, and enjoy your news, prognostications, posts and chat. We're fans forever. We have lived in the DC area for many years, and you guys are as good as it gets. Even Pat Michaels acknowledges the weirdness of Washington weather.

Had a stress-free night. Followed your forecasts all weekend, went to bed and woke up to a wonderland.

Oh, and Hoyafan...learn to live in the moment. From the minute the schools closed, you have been worrying about school closings tomorrow. Enjoy the moment. It's all we have. Take it from another Hoya fan...

Posted by: jack51 | March 2, 2009 2:25 PM | Report abuse

jojo2080 Try making snow angels for now.

Posted by: celestun100 | March 2, 2009 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Some of this snow seemed pretty snowman-worthy when I was shoveling earlier today. It kept sticking to the shovel. Maybe a few more hours at ~20 degrees isn't helping.

And it's been snowing again here in Bowie for a few hours now. Very light at the moment. Not sticking to the streets or my driveway, though (high sun angle?).

Posted by: JTF- | March 2, 2009 2:32 PM | Report abuse

jtf:
that was probably snow that had been on pavement, cars, or other warm surfaces. i think it kept sticking to the shovel because the shovel was so cold.

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | March 2, 2009 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I am a Fed who made it in to my office here in Greenbelt driving from Bethesda. I left at @ 8am and arrived at 9AM. 495 from Bethesda to College Park wasn't plowed shoulder to shoulder and was slushy between lanes. Once I got into PG County on 495 the lanes were plowed shoulder and shoulder and less slushy. The snow was falling fast and furious at the time, so I can understand it being difficult for the road crews to keep up.

Posted by: rusty6 | March 2, 2009 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I forgot to send my kudos and thanks to the CWG! You almost ate crow there until about 5am! Thanks for all that you do!

Satisfied Customer...

Posted by: rusty6 | March 2, 2009 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Great job to the Capital Weather Gang! You guys did really well with a pretty complex storm.

Posted by: adurante | March 2, 2009 2:52 PM | Report abuse

While it's not great for snowmen right now, snowballs work well with this snow... it has enough moisture to stay together on the short term, but is dry enough that it doesn't hurt the person that is the target. Not that I just experimented or anything... Teachers NEVER do that sort of thing...

Posted by: HistoryTchr | March 2, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

i would say tomorrow after about 10 or 11 am it will be prime snowman snow.

@CWG: can you estimate what time the temp will go above freezing tomorrow? looking at that NWS thing they say high of 30. is that really the expectation?

Posted by: walter-in-fallschurch | March 2, 2009 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Sterling VA is at 32.8F right now, with pavement starting to dry and some sun breaking through. The wind is blowing the snow about a bit. My neighborhood plow was real good, in fact the more major road behind my house still looked covered while my road was fully exposed pavement. Should be easy to get out to work tomorrow.

Posted by: kmcandrew | March 2, 2009 3:30 PM | Report abuse