The new Washington
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 04/29/2009

Forecast: Abrupt Reversal to Cool, Damp Weather

By Jason Samenow

* Not so Green Protest | Heat Wave Numbers | Later: Climate Poetry *

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Showers. Much cooler. Near 60. | Tonight: Drizzle. Upper 40s. | Tomorrow: Mostly cloudy. Near 60. | A Look Ahead

FORECAST IN DETAIL

The weather can find no middle ground these last 10 days of April. It is either cool and damp or hot and dry. After four straight days of sunshine and 90 degree temperatures, now we get rain/drizzle and 60 degrees temperatures for the last two days of the month. We've got weather whiplash in reverse.

Radar: Latest D.C. area radar loop shows movement of precipitation over past two hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update. Click here to see radar bigger. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Today (Wednesday): Showers are likely (70% chance) and even a rumble of thunder, especially during the morning. Some heavy bursts of rain are possible with rainfall totals around 0.5" (with some locally higher amounts). Rain is likely to diminish in coverage and intensity during the afternoon. Temperatures will remain mostly steady, right around 60 degrees during the day as a cool breeze off the ocean displaces all of the heat from the last several days. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: The maritime flow will persist, keeping it cloudy and cool with some drizzle possible. Lows will range from the upper 40s to near 50. Confidence: Medium-High

The forecast continues after the poll...

Tomorrow (Thursday): Flow from the east continues keeping it a little raw and damp. Some patchy drizzle is possible, especially during the first half of the day, with just a 40% chance of measurable rain. Highs will be near 60. Confidence: Medium-High

Tomorrow Night: A warm front will lift through the area, possibly giving us a shower or two (30% chance). More significantly, winds will become out of the south, likely bringing back the warmth for Friday. Lows will be in the mid-50s. Confidence: Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

Flow from the south and partial clearing will likely bring a return to more summer-like temperatures Friday. Highs will reach well into the 70s and possibly above 80 depending if we get some appreciable sunshine. Late in the day, a thunderstorm could pop up (30% chance) due to the instability of the warmer air mass. Partly cloudy and mild overnight with lows from the upper 50s (in the suburbs) to lower 60s (downtown) Confidence: Medium-High

Saturday will be partly sunny and warm, but a cold front will push into the region in the afternoon or evening, perhaps (40% chance) triggering showers and thunderstorms. Highs will be near 80. Partial clearing Saturday night, with lows in the 50s. Confidence: Medium

Saturday's cold front may stall just south of the region Sunday, with waves of low pressure riding along it. The low pressure waves may (40% chance) bring rain back into the region depending on the location of the front -- which is uncertain. It will be cooler with highs in the 60s. Confidence: Low-Medium

By Jason Samenow  | April 29, 2009; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Heat and Pollen On the Downswing
Next: Local Poets Slam on Climate Change

Comments

Looks, like my A/C will get a break. It's been running non-stop the since Saturday it seems.

The cool rain was sort of refreshing this morning, until I remembered what rain does to traffic here...

Posted by: NapTownMike | April 29, 2009 9:58 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure this post doesn't belong here, but I'm not sure who else to ask.

Question: Is there any on-line source for past precipitation data, even from just the past week or so?

I ask because I'm handicapped and almost never go out, so I don't know whether it's rained or not, but I still have to prod my family to water the garden, and it would help if I had some factual basis for knowing whether or not watering is needed on a particular day.

Thanks!

Posted by: LoyalReader429 | April 29, 2009 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Try this site. It is a radar site but I hope that the link that I have posted is the precip link. If you play around with it you can get yesterday's precip, the day before, etc.

Posted by: MKadyman | April 29, 2009 10:35 AM | Report abuse

For LoyalReader429:

Here's the NWS site for the data you want: http://www.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=lwx

The second radio button (Preliminary Monthly Climate Data) gives the day-by-day numbers to the current date this month.

Posted by: lhaller | April 29, 2009 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I voted "can't we have some 70s?" and here is my comment:

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGHHHHHH!!!!

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | April 29, 2009 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I didn't mind the 90s at all, but the rain is refreshing, too. I can handle a few cool, cloudy days like this one much better after getting a few solid days of nice sun.

It is nice to have my AC off, no doubt. But I'll be a seriously angry person if I have to drag out a jacket again!

Posted by: thepill | April 29, 2009 12:09 PM | Report abuse

More frustrating than anything else. We could get this stuff on and off for the next week according to the prelim. extended forecast. We seem to be getting more input from the rain dance conspiracy. I'd like to see less crud and more seventies, myself.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | April 29, 2009 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Just got back from running some errands, and I have to say it feels soooo nice outside, to me anyway. Cool and refreshing after the heat of the last few days.

Posted by: natsncats | April 29, 2009 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Dry patch around DC is a good opportunity for lunch. Have you been able to get away from your desk yet? Now is a good time to head out for a break!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | April 29, 2009 2:16 PM | Report abuse

I loved the 90s! Best April weather I have ever experienced! This 60s is horrible, I hate the extreme cold. I never used my AC, didn't need to. My house stayed at a nice 85*F.

Posted by: bastings | April 29, 2009 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Ugh. This weather is horribly depressing.

Posted by: bastings | April 29, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse