The new Washington
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 2:45 PM ET, 04/25/2009

Forecast: Spring Heat Wave is Sprung

By Jason Samenow

* Making Severe Weather Less Scary For Kids *

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Mostly sunny, isolated p.m. storms. 88-92. | Tonight: Partly cloudy. 58-64. | Tomorrow: Mostly sunny. 88-92. | A Look Ahead

FORECAST IN DETAIL

The warmest hottest weather of 2009 to date - by a long shot -- arrives today and will grip the region for four straight days. The mercury hadn't even made it to 80 this year previously, but will make a run at 90 today through Tuesday. Save an isolated thunderstorm today, the heat will be a dry one with comfortable levels of humidity. Still, due to the abrupt arrival of this record-setting airmass, don't overdo it as you may not yet be acclimated to this warm weather. And remember to wear sunscreen as UV levels will be high.

Radar: Latest D.C. area radar loop shows movement of precipitation over past two hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update. Click here to see radar bigger. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Today (Saturday): Is your A/C unit ready? Toasty flow from the southwest (at 5 to 10 mph) and sunshine combine to give us mid-summer like temperatures. Highs will be near 90 in most spots although locations near the river and Chesapeake Bay may only reach the low-to-mid 80s due to the influence of the cool water. A few isolated thunderstorms may develop late in the afternoon or evening (20% chance). While it will be hot, the record high of 93 (from 1960) should be safe. Confidence: Medium-High

Tonight: Partly cloudy and quite mild. Lows will only drop into the upper 50s in the cooler suburbs to the rather muggy mid-60s downtown. Confidence: High

Keep reading for the forecast into early next week...

Tomorrow (Sunday): Just like today, afternoon high temperatures will climb to near 90 under mostly sunny skies. But we shouldn't have to worry about any late-day storms. Expect low humidity and light winds from the west. Confidence: High

Tomorrow Night: Mostly clear and continued mild with lows 55-62 (suburbs-city). Confidence: High

A LOOK AHEAD

Both Monday and Tuesday will be partly to mostly sunny and very warm. Highs both days should be in the mid-80s to around 90 with overnight lows in the mid-50s to low 60s. Confidence: Medium-High

By Jason Samenow  | April 25, 2009; 2:45 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: PM Update: Here Comes the Summer-like Heat
Next: Forecast: Spring Swelters Like Summer

Comments

Other sites are now saying only mid 80s with little chance of hitting 90 this weekend, which does make me happier. What are your thoughts on that? It's been awhile since I've seen a significant difference in highs.

Posted by: hereandnow1 | April 25, 2009 8:45 AM | Report abuse

@hereandnow1

I think Reagan National may only reach the low-to-mid-80s because of its location near the river. But most other spots should be in the upper 80s to near 90 if we get full sun. And a forecast of mid 80s vs upper 80s to around 90 are pretty close.

Here are my predictions for today's highs: DCA 84, BWI 88, IAD 89.

What do others think?

Posted by: Jason-CapitalWeatherGang | April 25, 2009 9:08 AM | Report abuse

I think NWS is being conservative with DC readings... mid 80s seems like a better bet than low 80s.

My numbers: DCA 85, BWI 87, IAD 90.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | April 25, 2009 10:27 AM | Report abuse

A/C unit is NOT ready yet! Ugh, I'm going to broil. I'm glad the humidity levels are low, at least.

Posted by: --sg | April 25, 2009 11:10 AM | Report abuse

We went for a jog in the mountains and decided to stay on trails rather than roads. But there wasn't much shade yet with the leaves still coming out.

I won't guess on the airport temps since waiting until afternoon would be a bit unfair.

Posted by: spgass1 | April 25, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

I've been running my A/C since yesterday.

Some VA stations already are reporting 90's.

Checked the IAD Skew-T report for upper air. Parameters suggest 20-40% chance of thunderstorms, with severe possible, but it's not an organized system, just airmass "popcorn". Up in the LP of Michigan, closer to the synoptic action, there's a 60-80% chance of "moderate" thunderstorms with severe wx watches in effect since early this morning and a suspicious-looking bow echo MCS somewhat west of Detroit, with more thunderstorms in a line behind that MCS. That MI action will pass far to our N & W if it holds together.

Looking ahead, our best precipitation chance remains with the frontal passage next Wednesday and Thursday.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | April 25, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Dulles set a new record high by hitting at least 90.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | April 25, 2009 2:57 PM | Report abuse

It's 95 degrees outside my house at 3pm.

Posted by: david_in_stafford | April 25, 2009 2:59 PM | Report abuse

91 degrees in Columbia.

Posted by: mickb1 | April 25, 2009 3:59 PM | Report abuse

This is fantastic. I'm sure in August I'll be all cranky about the heat, but now it just feels so GOOD.

90 here in Fairfax City at the moment.

Posted by: thepill | April 25, 2009 4:07 PM | Report abuse

New Baltimore reporting in at 94 in the shade .... winds are picking up a bit, seeing some clouds on the western horizon ....

Posted by: weathergrrl | April 25, 2009 4:42 PM | Report abuse

Highs: IAD 92 (record), BWI 90, DCA 87

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | April 25, 2009 5:49 PM | Report abuse

In addition to the high temps this Saturday, has anyone noticed the pollen? It's covering everything today.

Posted by: david_in_stafford | April 25, 2009 5:59 PM | Report abuse

In addition to Dulles, records were set up and down the East Coast.

Posted by: CapitalClimate | April 25, 2009 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Brief shower activity.
Thunder observed.
Location: Blue Ridge Mtns, east of Front Royal

Posted by: spgass1 | April 25, 2009 7:31 PM | Report abuse

I hear thunder, and see a little lightning, in Merrifield!

Posted by: --sg | April 25, 2009 8:40 PM | Report abuse

brief heavy downpour in McLean, its eased up as i type. a couple nice peals of thunder

Posted by: Peter_L_inmclean | April 25, 2009 8:55 PM | Report abuse

I saw some lightning and heard a little rumble here in Silver Spring.

Liked the heat today, could do without the storm tonight.

Posted by: epjd | April 25, 2009 8:56 PM | Report abuse

Second round of thunder in 30 minutes passing over Silver Spring.

Posted by: Murre | April 25, 2009 9:11 PM | Report abuse

And now a nice, soft shower in Merrifield; thunder/lightning are gone, and the storm seems to have passed me by to the south. Air temp has dropped a bit, but I don't have a thermometer to get a reading.

Posted by: --sg | April 25, 2009 9:16 PM | Report abuse

Getting rumbles of thunder here in Lake Ridge.

Posted by: meta2 | April 25, 2009 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Two things:

1. Some beautiful thunder and lighting in DC about a half hour ago. Still rumbling quietly from time to time.

2. I almost passed out working on our CSA fields today. I've done plenty of work out in the heat before but this was so abrupt, so suddenly oppressive that I think my body wasn't used to all the sweating and heat. Anybody else feel like their inner temperature regulator wasn't ready for today?

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | April 25, 2009 9:26 PM | Report abuse

Very frequent lighting to the east right now. I can see it reflecting off the windows of the high rise across the street.

Looking forward to that one!

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | April 25, 2009 9:29 PM | Report abuse

Except...except...it seems like I briefly forgot which direction the storms were coming from?

I should go to bed.

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | April 25, 2009 9:30 PM | Report abuse

LaurainNWDC: You may be dehydrated, why not drink some water before you go to bed. Not real cold water, just slightly cool...and even put a pinch of baking soda in it too. Stir it up so it dissolves.

Posted by: --sg | April 25, 2009 9:32 PM | Report abuse

LaurainNWDC, I ran about three miles at noon today. I too wasn't quite ready for the abrupt heat. I'll get used to it now!

Posted by: david_in_stafford | April 25, 2009 9:33 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, ~sg. I WAS fairly dehydrated earlier. But I like that my loopy post about storms coming in from the east suggests to you that I might still be! :)

I've never heard about using baking soda for replacing electrolytes. That's a good thing to know!

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | April 25, 2009 10:04 PM | Report abuse

LaurainNWDC: I hope it helps out! Buffered water is good if you're dehydrated or have indigestion. The recipe on the Arm & Hammer box calls for 1/2 teaspoon, but I rarely use that much.

Posted by: --sg | April 25, 2009 10:09 PM | Report abuse

Great sound and light show for over an hour now seen from a 15th floor apt near Del Ray, Alexandria. My window looks south and east; most of the show has been seen nearly due south, although in the last ten or so minutes there's been a lot seen directly east across the Potomac.

As far as I can tell, no rain here yet, which is odd considering the first flash I saw was just before 9.

Weatherbug says 74.

Posted by: aaronsinger | April 25, 2009 10:17 PM | Report abuse

0.02" of rain...ooooo
(West Springfield/Accotink Lake)

(Too late, but the last two big storms gave me a total of 2.4" of rain.)

Posted by: bikerjohn | April 25, 2009 10:21 PM | Report abuse