Network News

X My Profile
View More Activity
The new Washington
Post Weather website
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:00 AM ET, 04/21/2009

Forecast: Variable Week; Wonderful Weekend

By Matt Rogers

* NatCast: Some Storms? | Social Science and Climate *
* Later: Hurricane Scale Changes Coming? *

EXPRESS FORECAST

Today: Partly cloudy. P.M. showers & storms (40% chance). 65-69. Tonight: Showers & storms (60% chance). 44-49. | Tomorrow: Clouds, light showers? 59-63. | A Look Ahead

FORECAST IN DETAIL

The weather is forecast to be up and down during the coming days. Look for milder weather today (highs near 70 in spots) with scattered showers and thunderstorms this afternoon and evening. And then we can expect a variably cloudy tomorrow with scattered light showers and temperatures about 10 degrees cooler. Thursday should be so-so (warmer, more sun), but the big story is the spectacular weekend weather that follows. Yes, we're talking the first 80s of 2009 for Washington D.C. with plenty of sunshine.

Radar: Latest regional radar loop shows movement of precipitation over past two hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update. Click here to see radar bigger. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Today (Tuesday): Look for periods of both clouds and sunshine today with warmer temperatures (highs in the upper 60s) and then a 40% chance of late-afternoon showers and thunderstorms. We could see an additional .1" to .2" of rainfall. Confidence: Medium

Tonight: Showers and thunderstorms appear most likely during the evening hours (60% chance) with lessening chances toward and beyond midnight. We could see some heavy downpours around thunderstorms, but otherwise look for another .1" to .25" of rain. Temperatures should cool back down into the 40s. Confidence: Medium

Keep reading for the forecast through the weekend...

Tomorrow (Wednesday): A large upper level low pressure will be passing over and north of the area and this will trigger intermittent cloud cover with light showers possible (30% chance). Winds will get breezy from the west and northwest at about 15-25 mph. Temperatures should also be cooler (only around 60). Confidence: Medium

Tomorrow Night: Cloudy and colder with lows in the upper 30s to lower 40s. Confidence: Medium

A LOOK AHEAD

Thursday brings back the sunshine with slightly warmer temperatures (low-to-mid 60s). Breezy conditions persist, though, at about 10-20 mph. Confidence: Medium

Friday is considered the weekend by some and the weather will agree this week with temperatures bouncing strongly up into the middle 70s after morning lows in the 40s, thanks to lots of sunshine. Confidence: Medium

The weekend is promising fantastic weather with highs in the low 80s and lows in the 50s and 60s. Sunshine will be more frequent than a few scattered clouds, and forecaster confidence is actually looking good for this early in the week. And with all the rain we have received thus far this week, no one need feel guilty about the beautiful dry weather this coming weekend. Confidence: Medium

By Matt Rogers  | April 21, 2009; 10:00 AM ET
Categories:  Forecasts  
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: NatCast: Some Storms to Brave?
Next: Hurricane Scale Faces Revisions

Comments

Gorgeous morning for a commute to work. Anyone get to walk at a casual pace? I didn't even need a jacket!

Posted by: Camden-CapitalWeatherGang | April 21, 2009 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Checked my bucket this morning and had an inch and a half of rain since Sunday afternoon.

I didn't get to walk to work today, but drove at a casual pace through some fog. Tomorrow is Earth Day so I'm planning to telecommute.

Posted by: spgass1 | April 21, 2009 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Two small cells just popped up near Fredricksburg, no lightning in them as of yet though.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | April 21, 2009 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Finally we have some weather more like spring.

Hopefully things will quiet down and warm up a bit. We still may have a precipitation deficit for the year as high as 1.5-2.0" however.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | April 21, 2009 2:38 PM | Report abuse

The comments to this entry are closed.

 
 
RSS Feed
Subscribe to The Post

© 2012 The Washington Post Company