The new Washington
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:15 PM ET, 04/15/2009

PM Update: Long-Lasting Storm Winds Down

By Ian Livingston

Glorious sunshine returns on Thursday

* Spring Happenings, Rain and Shine | NatCast: Dismal *

Morning drizzle has given way to some afternoon rain as the finale of this slow moving weather system shows its stuff. Showers, heavy at times, should continue the rest of the day and into the evening, with the largest overall totals setting up from D.C. toward the east and north. Temperatures have been uniform and steady in the upper 40s to near 50, but will drop through the 40s with rain falling. Many spots should end up with over .5" rainfall for the day.

Radar: Latest regional radar loop shows movement of precipitation over past two hours. Powered by HAMweather. Refresh page to update. Click here to see radar bigger. Or see radar bigger on our Weather Wall.

Tonight: Showers should continue into the evening and end before midnight. Rainfall from this multi-day storm will top 1" in most locations east of I-95, with lower totals as you head west. Clouds stick around till late night and clearing begins prior to sunrise. Temperatures should fall into the upper 30s in the coldest locations to around 40 elsewhere.

Tomorrow (Thursday): A return to sunny skies is still scheduled for tomorrow! All the new greenery will enjoy soaking up the rays, as will any lucky folks who are outside. Highs should mostly make it into the low 60s, which is still a bit below normal, though quite a treat compared to recently. A northeast breeze around 10 mph won't be too big of an issue.

See Josh Larson's full forecast through the weekend.

Confusing Forecasts: What does a 20% chance of rain actually mean? According to a new study out of the University of Washington, many people don't know. Do you?

By Ian Livingston  | April 15, 2009; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Spring Happenings, Rain and Shine
Next: NatCast: Somewhat Cool With Clear Skies

Comments

It's currently 43 in Oakton, VA and I saw many ice-filled raindrops hit my car windshield while I waited for my kid at the bus stop. It's not quite sleet, but the drops would splatter, with many ice particles that would take about a second to melt. I bet if the surface temps were 10 degrees colder we'd have quite a winter mess on our hands.

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | April 15, 2009 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Is my walk from Verizon Center to my car on New York Ave going to be wet after the Caps game?

Posted by: tengoalyrunr30 | April 15, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Kevin, the radar echoes seemed a bit "bright" compared to what is being reported at stations... maybe it's seeing sleet that's melting (mostly) just before contact. Sleet has been reported in MD up through NJ today.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | April 15, 2009 4:38 PM | Report abuse

Boy is it raw!!! I was out in it this afternoon, and it was worse at 5 PM than at 3 PM when the rain was heavier. Temperature around here was around 42. I think I saw warmer weather in January & February.

Hope this ends soon. Channel 9 is telling me we could have more of this fifties stuff next week for crying out loud!

Posted by: Bombo47jea | April 15, 2009 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Everything you guy's are chatting about is well within the realm of possibility.

Flattop Mt., 20 mi. n.w. of Charlottesville at 3250 ft. is reporting 32.8 degrees at 7:30.

41 degrees at 1350 ft. at my place with light rain at 7:45.

Posted by: AugustaJim | April 15, 2009 7:52 PM | Report abuse

Great...so 2 days above normal and back to at least 4 more below normal.

Posted by: ThinkSpring | April 15, 2009 9:28 PM | Report abuse