The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 3:15 PM ET, 04/21/2009

PM Update: Scattered Storms Before Cool Night

By Ian Livingston

Cooler tomorrow, more showers? Warm weekend ahead

* Hurricane Scale Faces Revisions | NatCast: Shower/Storm? *

Compared to yesterday's rain and all-day cloudiness, today was quite pleasant through mid-afternoon, as a fair amount of sun helped temperatures rise to highs in the mid-and-upper 60s. Scattered showers and thunderstorms, a few of which could be strong, will likely affect the area during the late afternoon and into early evening.

Through Evening: Scattered showers and thunderstorms will be around during the late afternoon and early evening. The most intense storms could contain hail and gusty winds. Overall, there's a 60% chance you'll get a shower or storm where you happen to be. A few tenths of an inch of rain are possible where showers and storms are most abundant.

Later Tonight: Showers and storms should diminish by shortly after sunset with the loss of daytime heating. Overnight lows drop to the mid-40s in most places, with some low 40s possible in the coldest suburbs, under partly to mostly cloudy skies.

Tomorrow (Wednesday): A weakening area of low pressure in the upper atmosphere will pass over the area tomorrow resulting in more partly to mostly cloudy skies along and a 30% chance of daytime showers. Any rain on Wednesday should be pretty light where it does fall. Highs right around 60 should do it, back a little below normal we go for a day. Winds will gust from the west up to 20 mph or so.

See Matt Rogers' full forecast through the beginning of next week, including a summery weekend.

West Coast Heat: Much of the West Coast continues to broil today under an unseasonably strong high pressure system. High temperatures yesterday reached 100 degrees in downtown Los Angeles while it made it into the 90s in San Francisco. Some of this heat is scheduled to move east for the coming weekend, helping supply us with our first 80-degree and higher temperatures of the year.

By Ian Livingston  | April 21, 2009; 3:15 PM ET
Categories:  Forecasts
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Hurricane Scale Faces Revisions
Next: Strong Storms Rumbling through Region

Comments

Oh! Oh! There's got to be thunder in that line SOMEWHERE!

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | April 21, 2009 4:47 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful spring rain in Silver Spring.

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | April 21, 2009 5:20 PM | Report abuse

New T-storm warning for Fairfax County.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | April 21, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

I find it disappointing that when there is potential for a little bit of snow there are 300 comments, but when there's the potential for a spring storm I have to just talk to myself on here.

Seems to me that good thunderstorms are about as rare around here as good snow storms. The difference? School/work doesn't get cancelled.

Come on! Storms! Yeah! Look at those ominous gray clouds!

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | April 21, 2009 5:46 PM | Report abuse

THANK YOU IAN (for ruining the validity of my last post)!

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | April 21, 2009 5:47 PM | Report abuse

That California heat was unseasonable enough to break several records for hottest so early in the season, some by several weeks. The 91° at SFO airport broke the old record for the date by 10°.

Posted by: CapitalClimate | April 21, 2009 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Laura, I love snow but I'm really a severe thunderstorm fan above all else.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | April 21, 2009 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Are we the only two?

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | April 21, 2009 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm starting to feel like hoyafan here, but anyway:

BEAUTIFUL clouds with these storms. Patches of blue sky that reveal the puffy height of the clouds and the sun just gleams off of their tops. And then so gray at the bottom.

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | April 21, 2009 6:09 PM | Report abuse

Someone just unzipped the sky here in Lake Ridge.

Posted by: meta2 | April 21, 2009 6:11 PM | Report abuse

I'm also a big thunderstorm fan! I'm hoping for a good storm chase soon. :)

Posted by: Kevin-CapitalWeatherGang | April 21, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Laura,

no need to feel isolated, they're plenty of severe storm lovers here. The SPC outlook just wasn't that optimistic for severe wx today. I'm sure you remember last spring when we had an unusual string of storms over several weeks and the comments section lit up. Here's hoping for a repeat performance -- with the standard qualifications that no one is hurt or personal property damaged . . .

Posted by: ParkerGP | April 21, 2009 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Thunderstorm activity moving in about now.

Posted by: Bombo47jea | April 21, 2009 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Nothing here in Silver Spring.

I can finally log in and post without crashing my browsers! Hello everyone.

Posted by: Murre | April 21, 2009 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Thunder and lighting here in Silver Spring.

I asked, and I received.

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | April 21, 2009 6:17 PM | Report abuse

Oops, I just heard thunder.

Posted by: Murre | April 21, 2009 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Rooooolllling thunder in Annandale.

Posted by: jhbyer | April 21, 2009 6:20 PM | Report abuse

That was one fast-moving storm!

Posted by: meta2 | April 21, 2009 6:24 PM | Report abuse

Severe Thunderstorm Warning for southern PG and Charles Counties.

Posted by: Murre | April 21, 2009 6:25 PM | Report abuse

HAIL!!!!

Posted by: LaurainNWDC | April 21, 2009 6:30 PM | Report abuse

The sky took on a nice green hue a few minutes back in NW DC. Lighting pretty close now.

Posted by: Ian-CapitalWeatherGang | April 21, 2009 6:33 PM | Report abuse

The angry red radar line should be over top of me now but there is not *too* much lighting or thunder or even rain. I suppose I should unplug all my electronics.

Posted by: Murre | April 21, 2009 6:46 PM | Report abuse

Some nice lightning on my way back up to columbia on 95, continuing now. Very bright flashes around here but I don't have a very nice viewing area from my apt. My soccer game is in serious jepordy.

Posted by: Brian-CapitalWeatherGang | April 21, 2009 7:00 PM | Report abuse